Westeros Experts League 2018

Week

Looks like we're set up for a pretty interesting final 5 weeks.  For some reason, the schedule worked out so that Mya, Jaime, BL, and I all play each other in 3 of those 5 weeks.  So we'll all mostly control our own destinies in the fight for the week 14 byes.  Meanwhile, Bronn dodges all of us other than Jaime, for better or worse.

Matchups among the top 5 teams
WJ - Jaime week 11, Mya week 12, BL week 13
Mya - Jaime week 10, BL week 11, WJ week 12
Jaime - BL week 9, Mya week 10, WJ week 11, Bronn week 13
BL - Jaime week 9, Mya week 11, WJ week 13
Bronn - Jaime week 13

Meanwhile, the same thing holds true in the bottom half of the league as well, so everyone fighting to make the playoffs is going to matchup against their direct opponents a lot.

Matchups among the bottom 5 teams (+ Bronn)
Dracarys - Week week 9, Dunk week 10, Jace week 11
Mudguard - Bronn week 9, Week week 11, Dunk week 12, Jace week 13
Week - Dracarys week 9, Bronn week 10, Mudguard week 11, Dunk week 13
Dunk - Dracarys week 10, Bronn week 11, Mudguard week 12, Week week 13
Jace - Dracarys week 11, Bronn week 12, Mudguard week 13
Bronn - Mudguard week 9, Week week 10, Dunk week 11, Jace week 12

On 10/23/2018 at 10:59 AM, Jaime L said:

Week 7 Power Rankings 

1) WJ - 47-16 (5-2)
2) Mya - 45-18 (5-2)
3) Jaime - 39-24 (5-2) 

4) Jace - 36-27 (3-4)
5) Week - 28-35 (2-5)
6) Dunknegg - 26-37 (2-5)
7) Lord Dracarys - 25-38 (1-6)
7t) Mudguard - 25-38 (3-4) 

9) BL - 22-41 (5-2)
9t) Bronn - 22-41 (4-3) 

We're more than halfway in so including records now. Makes clear that if the season ended today, the 4 teams in consideration to be Jaxomed are only separated by 3 power rankings wins. Very tight. Bronn and BL's best road for staying is continuing to win, which they both did this week, but they also tightened their respective power ranking positioning. 

Pretty mundane week overall. Not a ton of close matchups. Only thing I noted is that Jace gave up a win by not switching out MGIII and GB D (on bye). Think BL getting that win and Jace not will have definite ramifications down the line.

When I look back at the three weeks of Fitzmagic I started with...

Fuck.

Week 9 Power Rankings 

1) Mya - 60-21 (7-2)
2) WJ - 54-27 (6-3)
3) Jaime - 52-29 (7-2) 
4) Lord Dracarys - 40-41 (3-6)
4t) Mudguard - 40-41 (4-5) 

6) Jace - 37-44 (3-6)
7) Week - 36-45 (2-7)
8) Bronn - 32-49 (5-4) 
9) Dunknegg - 31-50 (3-6)
10)  BL - 23-58 (5-4)

No late drama this week. It all happened earlier when Mudguard and Dunk roared back from big early deficits to take their respective weeks and help keep their playoff hopes alive. With BL and Bronn losing this week, more than just the 6th spot could be in play. 

Other macro trends - my streak continues, up to 7 wins in a row though now have Mya/WJ looming as major threats to end it. Jace is going the other way - 6 losses in a row after being the last undefeated and could be sliding out of this league outright. BL also appears to be clearly in playoffs-or-bust mode. If he misses the playoffs, he is almost guaranteed to get Jaxomed. Probably needs 2 more wins to be safe. It's extremely rare for a 7 win team to miss the playoffs. 

14 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Week 9 Power Rankings 

1) Mya - 60-21 (7-2)
2) WJ - 54-27 (6-3)
3) Jaime - 52-29 (7-2) 
4) Lord Dracarys - 40-41 (3-6)
4t) Mudguard - 40-41 (4-5) 

6) Jace - 37-44 (3-6)
7) Week - 36-45 (2-7)
8) Bronn - 32-49 (5-4) 
9) Dunknegg - 31-50 (3-6)
10)  BL - 23-58 (5-4)

No late drama this week. It all happened earlier when Mudguard and Dunk roared back from big early deficits to take their respective weeks and help keep their playoff hopes alive. With BL and Bronn losing this week, more than just the 6th spot could be in play. 

Other macro trends - my streak continues, up to 7 wins in a row though now have Mya/WJ looming as major threats to end it. Jace is going the other way - 6 losses in a row after being the last undefeated and could be sliding out of this league outright. BL also appears to be clearly in playoffs-or-bust mode. If he misses the playoffs, he is almost guaranteed to get Jaxomed. Probably needs 2 more wins to be safe. It's extremely rare for a 7 win team to miss the playoffs. 

I will survive.

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I will survive.

If the season ended today, I'm afraid now you'd actually be out. But every passing moment is another chance to turn it all around. Nathan Peterman and Eli Manning must lead the way. 

Week 10 Power Rankings 

1) Mya - 66-24 (8-2)
2) WJ - 63-27 (7-3)
3) Jaime - 54-36 (7-3) 
4) Lord Dracarys - 47-43 (3-7)
5) Mudguard - 44-46 (4-6) 

6) Jace - 42-48 (3-7)
7) Week - 40-50 (3-7)
8) Dunknegg - 39-51 (4-6)
9) Bronn - 35-55 (5-5) 
10)  BL - 24-66 (6-4)

Week pulling out his week over Bronn on a super late Sterling Shepard TD throws any playoff/Jaxoming clarity into disarray. 7 teams sit on a knife's edge with both very realistic playoff hopes and all could also very realistically be Jaxomed. Even picking the "safe" team by power rankings is too close to call. Not even sure who I'd bet on at this point. Looked like Mudguard was consolidating his position before the bottom fell out this week. And now Dunk with a couple close big wins is ascendant. Yahoo's now projecting 3 (!) 6-7 teams to make the playoffs which I'm pretty sure is unprecedented. And of course Week pulling out his win not only keeps his flickering playoff hopes alive, but Yahoo now is projecting him for the 4 seed.

Tl;dr: who the fuck knows. But at least the last few weeks promise to be interesting. 

Outside of the Jaxoming vs. playoffs meatgrinder, Mya consolidated her bye positioning by taking me down and ending my winning streak. Jace put up a decent score and had a chance to end her losing streak but ran into WJ putting up the high score on the season. The bar is now 220 but with the way this season is gone, wouldn't be surprised if someone passed it. 

45 minutes ago, Lord Dracarys said:

Another tough week where I score lots of points (third most) and manage to get matched against another team scoring tons of points (second most). I really should have realised Green being out might make Dalton a bad play, but alas. 

You've been the uncluckiest team for sure this season. The good news is this is the one league where there is a legit consolation prize for that. If the season ended today you'd miss the playoffs but be saved by power rankings. And you have a definite pts for advantage over your competition when it comes to making the playoffs. If you win your final 3, you're in. Otherwise gotta keep this run of strong performances you've had these last 3 weeks going to be saved by power rankings. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Week 10 Power Rankings 

Week pulling out his week over Bronn on a super late Sterling Shepard TD throws any playoff/Jaxoming clarity into disarray.

That was certainly a fun game to "watch" (I actually had it on the radio so I could watch something else at the same time with the sound down and the captions on).  Even after the TD, Goodwin got most of the margin back and my matchup went down to the last play (a catch by Goodwin or a pick by the NYG would have won for me).

Then again with 5+ minutes left in the 3rd quarter, Kittle had taken Manhole to within one point of me in Dynasty.  Except for a reception where he was called for Offensive PI, Kittle never touched the ball again and I won that one.

I loathe Tom Brady enough that watching him wither away is joyful to me even though he's doing it on a couple of my Fantasy rosters.

I'd be playoff bound in three other Westeros leagues if I am the one on the Jaxom block so, there are opportunities there.  Plus with three teams already sitting on 7 losses and two more at 6, it is very easy to envision 6-7 being good enough to make the playoffs, and Jaime points out that likely two or three teams will qualify with that number. Two seven loss teams face each other in Week 11 and the other faces a six-loss team.  My 5-5 squad faces the other 4-6. 

Playoff slots could start locking in very early.  Mya already has one.

Edited to add: Even though the site doesn't acknowledge it, Jaime and WJ have mathematically clinched playoff slots.  The two teams currently at 4-6 face each other in Week 12, since they cannot both win, there are four teams that cannot reach 7 wins.

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

You've been the uncluckiest team for sure this season. The good news is this is the one league where there is a legit consolation prize for that. If the season ended today you'd miss the playoffs but be saved by power rankings. And you have a definite pts for advantage over your competition when it comes to making the playoffs. If you win your final 3, you're in. Otherwise gotta keep this run of strong performances you've had these last 3 weeks going to be saved by power rankings. 

Yeah, that is what is softening the blow of being so unlucky this season because at least I might not get Jaxomed despite how seriously unlucky I've been. Which is good because my Westeros leagues have gone... poorly this year generally speaking.

Archived