HBO Confirms 2019 for Final Season

Westeros

A brief press release from HBO has confirmed what has long been understood: the final, 6-episode season of Game of Thrones will not air until 2019.

GOT_2019.jpeg

Here’s the press release in full:

Your readers may be interested to know that the hit HBO series GAME OF THRONES will return for its six-episode, eighth and final season in 2019.

Directors for the new season are: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, David Nutter and Miguel Sapochnik. Writers for the new season are: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman and Dave Hill.

Season seven credits: The executive producers of GAME OF THRONES are David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger and Bernadette Caulfield; co-executive producers, Bryan Cogman, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis and George R.R. Martin.

View the full article

9 minutes ago, the tower of albion said:

They can argue until they are blue in the face that this is so they can make the show the best it can be but the truth is HBO put all its eggs in one basket and have to stretch this out until they can bring their other ASOIF series into production around 2021.

I don t think so.

With the sucess of GoT it is the easier thing in the world to get people to finance the prequels.

They are porbably going to film the prequel(s) this year...

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Well then, can raise the glass to Season 8.....in 2020 this show will be complete in all rights. Whether it is suppose to be 10 or beyond will probably be argued long after the event. It may survive in different forms though so there is that to note as well. Nice reports all around otherwise. This is as good as it is bad, kind of hope towards its continuity but then again what that might be or something aggravates other thing and such. Could still be smashing though.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess there's like a 1/1,000,000,000 chance that part of the reason for this is because GRRM is going to surprise us and publish the remaining books in the series as a single box set in time for Christmas 2018. So book fans will be able to read the canon ending first, then watch the backlog of GoT seasons since it overtook the currently published books, and be ready to watch the final season in 2019.

Almost as likely as me winning the lottery, without buying a ticket.

On 4/3/2018 at 11:43 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess there's like a 1/1,000,000,000 chance that part of the reason for this is because GRRM is going to surprise us and publish the remaining books in the series as a single box set in time for Christmas 2018. So book fans will be able to read the canon ending first, then watch the backlog of GoT seasons since it overtook the currently published books, and be ready to watch the final season in 2019.

Almost as likely as me winning the lottery, without buying a ticket.

You will likely be able to discuss the final outcome with GRRM in 2020. ^_^    https://nzin2020.nz/

On 4/7/2018 at 2:30 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

Ooooh! I didn't know about that.

I suspected that you would be interested.  ^_^  There are no other bids for Worldcon 2020 which will be voted upon by the members of this year's Worldcon in San Jose, California in August.  I'll vote in favor.  Given that NZ is so far unopposed it is a virtual certainty that it will be approved for 2020.  See you there in 2020 I hope. 

2 hours ago, Ser Knight Somerville said:

I suspected that you would be interested.  ^_^  There are no other bids for Worldcon 2020 which will be voted upon by the members of this year's Worldcon in San Jose, California in August.  I'll vote in favor.  Given that NZ is so far unopposed it is a virtual certainty that it will be approved for 2020.  See you there in 2020 I hope. 

If I'm in the country I'll be keen to meet up with board dwellers. By 2020 I may be off on a mid-life crisis OE. 

Man, Hobbiton tours are going to be impossible to book. Whoever hasn't done one really should look at booking it well in advance. As it is, the big evening buffet dinner tour is booked out at least 6 months in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw something today saying each episode will be 2 hours in length. If true that's actually more content than a normal 10 episode season.

ETA that of course was not true. Did some digging and haven't seen any actual announcement....dammmmmmm

• 4 weeks later...

I have to admit that i do find it a bit annoying that we have to wait that long for the last season.

Hopefully it will be worth the wait and they will give us a great last season. It would surprise me if they did not i mean every season so far has been fantastic well at least in my personal opinion.

Archived