Annual BwB Worldcon Gathering - LACon 2006

I got the Hilton booked. not a party room, but it is a double. I would be willing to share with a female boarder, if anyone finds they can't get a room or afford the full cost. I'm so excited, I've been saving all my lunch money to make this work, and I'm right on track. Sometimes a little sacrifice is worth it (plus I'm eating better bringing food from home :) )

Next step---plane tickets. wonder when we'll be able to do that?

What is stopping you? :P

I was just checking them out. Didn't know they would be up so soon

IMPORTANT NOTICE : I just tried to add a day to my room (for cheaper flights) and the Hilton is all booked up.

edit: that was a regular room, not a party one.....I'm not cool enough to have a party room.

I just booked our room on the Lanai Level and they had no problems. For anyone that can't get a 'quiet' room the reservation code for the lanai level at the Anaheim Hilton is: Convention Code SCP

LAconIV hasn't updated their website yet so you won't find the code there.

Lodey -

`Time to take me off the list (I'm not even 50% at this point).

I haven't bought plane tickets and since I now owe my Mom hundreds of dollars I highly doubt she's going to buy them for me. My Dad bought himself a membership (I guess I need to tell him that I can't afford to go, so he can sell his membership if he doesn't want to go now).

I want to go and will miss you all. Who knows? Maybe something will happen between now and then to change this... (I think having two Worldcons under my belt is pretty respectable. ;) )

I'm still going, Hubby is rather iffy.

And I just got my room - go me!

I realized last night---it might only be non-smoking double bed rooms that were out. I didn't try to change the type of room I had. (lack of Coke is affecting my ability to think and reason--damn diet anyway)

I'm glad you're coming LadyIs. IT will be so great to meet you!

Well -- Os lobbied well last night (not that I was a hard sell...) and the Mister seems amenable, so it looks like Team Xray will likely be in LA. Woo!

(now the Mister just needs to figure out what the hell his username will be on the boards, so he can join and meet y'all -- and get a better friggin' handle than "the Mister")

I just booked our room on the Lanai Level and they had no problems. For anyone that can't get a 'quiet' room the reservation code for the lanai level at the Anaheim Hilton is: Convention Code SCP

LAconIV hasn't updated their website yet so you won't find the code there.

It's likely that the rooms under code SCP are the ones that, while on the Lanai Level of the hotel (5th floor), do NOT have access to the roof deck . . . usually because they're on the wrong side of the hall. If you're hoping for a Lanai Level room with roof deck access, you are probably better off going through the con's party czar.

Actually my room does open out to the lanai deck. I just called the hotel to confirm and the person on the phone said that all the lanai rooms do. Hence the name Lanai Room.

I'm pretty sure there will be rooms on that floor without the deck access, however I would think they would be called normal rooms and charged at the $99/night rate.

Since there was no code I just called the hotel and specifically asked for a Lanai Room and not just a room on the Lanai Floor. Then I got the room and asked for the code so I could let others know what it was.

For anyone booking the Lanai Rooms, if you want to be sure you have the deck access I would suggest simply calling the hotel and getting the room you want, then giving them the convention code for your discount.

Paid membership fee: check

Reserved a room at the Marriott: check

Requested time off: check

Transportation: pending

I’m going to my first World Con this Aug in LA. I’m going to arrive about 9pm (21:00 for Europeans and military types) on Thursday and stay the whole weekend.

It will be great to meet all of you.

I should be easy to spot, I’m the huge George RR Martin fan and probably drunk. :D

Simple procedure for meeting and identifying fellow fans:

1. Post your pic on the BwB gallery on the BwB site.

2. Read list of boarders who will be there.

3. Check their pics on the gallery.

4. Keep eyes open, read badges and be prepared to approach people.

Some people favour registering under their board name, I don't myself but it can help you find BwBers. You can also make arrangements to meet people in specific times and places... like the official BwB events. :) Or any panel where George is a participant. Or registration. Or the volunteering centre. Or the bar. :P

DO NOT wander around train station cafes calling out boarder's names, as they may not be there. (Private joke) :P

But finding BwBers is not gonna be a problem. We're the ones having the most fun. :cheers:

Hell, he had the balls to do it, so I will to.

Go ahead and put me at 100%. That's not competely true, but I've decided we're going to get there, by hook or by crook. ;)

Memberships will be paid in full by the end of the month, and I'm trying to pull together financing for plane tickets...

Oh, and by the way, we're easy to find. We have this huge ugly standard that we like to drag out for occasions like this :P

That reminds me, I should bring a needle and thread...I doubt the iron on stuff is holding up as well as I'd have liked...

I still want to go, but right now things do not look good. The kids dad was going to wath the kids so I could drive there and now it looks like he will be out of town that time of year. If It changes though I will post it. I just will not be able to stay at the hotel. I did check by the way and they do let dogs stay but you got to pay. There are alot of places that wil let me bring Ghost but I need to find a room available.

In short if plans change I can come but for now I have to say no. Sigh, sob, break down into tears.............

Archived