Guilty pleasure makes no sense to me

Feologild

5 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yeah, bingo. 

What I don't get is this talk about "expending extra energy" being 'guilty' about something.  I'm waiting for the article that shames someone for expending energy enjoying something.  Because spending energy is bad.  Or something.  

I genuinely feel that I have made myself less stressed by developing the belief that human beings are not designed to be content. When I spend time being sad, or angry, or guilty, I can make it even worse by feeling that I'm wasting my precious time on this earth in this negative mindset. But now I'm less stressed, because I accept that these negative feeligns are just a part of life. Constantly feeling content doesn't help a species evolve, compete and adapt. The real forces making us feel guilty about ourselves are the ones that are apparantly positive, the ones that say life is great and we should feel happy and fulfilled and productive almost all the time.

If that makes sense.

12 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

I genuinely feel that I have made myself less stressed by developing the belief that human beings are not designed to be content. When I spend time being sad, or angry, or guilty, I can make it even worse by feeling that I'm wasting my precious time on this earth in this negative mindset. But now I'm less stressed, because I accept that these negative feeligns are just a part of life. Constantly feeling content doesn't help a species evolve, compete and adapt. The real forces making us feel guilty about ourselves are the ones that are apparantly positive, the ones that say life is great and we should feel happy and fulfilled and productive almost all the time.

If that makes sense.

Honestly, that makes perfect sense.  I think that's probably why this thread and several of the posts here rankle so much.  They suggest that feeling certain things on the emotional spectrum are wrong or invalid in some way.  Fuck that.  

It's not so much that I'm embarrassed that others know I like something, so much as I'm embarrassed to myself that I like it. My favorite definition of a "guilty pleasure" is something where you have a hard time pinning down exactly why you like it, but you're painfully aware of its faults. 

Archived