U.S. Politics: A Wolff In Sheep's Clothing

Martell Spy

2 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Will Bannon pen a disgruntled 'tell all' about Trump and co?  Might be an interesting compare and contrast to Fire and Fury.  I would read that, but only from the library so I wouldn't give Bannon any of my money.   

The Steve Bannon tell all book: How Can You Nazi How Influential I Was?

27 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Are we sure Greiten is going anywhere? Doesn't he just have to pray really hard and blame it on gay marriages damaging the sacrament of marriage, and Republican shitsuckers will take him back?

His wife has already been quoted as saying, “It’s between us and God.”

We all know what’s going to happen. He’s going to apologize, lay low for a few days and then come out and say, “I’ve spoken to my pastor, my wife, my family, and most importantly, Jesus and God, and they’ve all said that I’ve sinned, but am forgiven.” And the religious right will nod with approval and say what a good guy he is for being so devout in his faith.

This is one of the main reasons why I am so opposed to organized religion. People abuse it and use it as one giant get out of jail free card.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Yes, Missouri has a Lt. Governor:

https://ltgov.mo.gov/

So I am also mystified as to why anyone thinks the governor resigning would result in a special election. The Lt. Governor will just become the governor.

Could be a special election for the Lt. Gov (though that would be a lower impact race), not sure what Missouri law says; different states do it different ways.

I suspect in Missouri there's either a special election or the Lt. Gov office stays vacant. I doubt the Gov gets to appoint someone, because the position is elected separately (Most of the time that Democrat Jay Nixon was Governor he had a Republican Lt. Gov to deal with).

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/opinion/trump-robots-electoral-college.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

every additional slave robot per 1000 workers causes wages to decline by .5% but that’s a deceptive average, the decline is much larger for the working class.

Additional robot slaves also correlates with increased trump support.

democrats enthusiasm for job murdering robot slavery (or saying slavery is ok as long as don’t criticize the slave robot capital owners (they’re donors!) and excusing it because we can always institute proven failed policies like the old UK  dole so long as expensive consultants ageee a rebranding of the proven failed policy as UBI is the key to hoping it will work this time) is probably going to make their electoral prospects grim for a very long time.

Why Republicans love clowns.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/why-conservatives-love-dumb-presidents.html

Michael Wolff’s account of the Trump administration has forced the president and his supporters to address the president’s mental fitness, or lack thereof. On Saturday, Trump labeled himself a “very stable genius.” On Sunday, he tweeted out quotes from a column defending his presidency, but awkwardly mistranscribed the key word “consequential” as “consensual” — not only the wrong word, but a fairly awkward one for a known genital-grabber to use — and then, urging his audience to “Please read entire column,” mistakenly typed in the author’s email address rather than the hyperlink for the column.

Interesting reading for the weekend.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3084187

This report describes various tax games, roadblocks, and glitches in the tax legislation currently before Congress, titled the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA). The complex rules proposed in the House and Senate bills will allow new tax games and planning opportunities for well-advised taxpayers, which will result in unanticipated consequences and costs. These costs may not currently be fully reflected in official estimates already showing the bills adding over $1 trillion to the deficit in the coming decade. Other proposed changes will encounter legal roadblocks that will jeopardize critical elements of the legislation. Finally, in other cases, technical glitches in the legislation may improperly and haphazardly penalize or benefit individual and corporate taxpayers. This report highlights particular areas of concern that have been identified by a number of leading tax academics, practitioners, and analysts. A

Why hello there!

Are you a conservative Republican  clown?

Do you find yourself incessantly worrying about Medicaid causing rampant unemployment?

But before you begin, tell us all about what you did about unemployment during the last 10 years.

Please tell us all about how your “conservative values” guided your thinking about what to do about the greatest recession since the Great Depression.

Once again, tell us all about the parable of Swabian Housewives. Tell us about how you just tossed and turned at night, worrying about rampant inflation!!!  Or how you were oh so worried about Poor Savers!!! Or how about the time when everyone else was talkin’ price level targeting, negative interest rates or what not, and there you where in your own little world babblin’ on about the gold standard.

Don’t be shy. Let’s hear it one more time!

Anyway, LOL, Republicans concerned about Medicare causing people to not work.

https://www.vox.com/2017/4/6/15181314/medicaid-work-requirements-trump

Seema Verma, the Trump-appointed administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, has announced that the federal government will support state efforts to add work requirements to Medicaid, which provides health care and support services to poor and disabled Americans.

“This is a solution in search of a problem,” Sara Rosenbaum, a professor of health policy at George Washington University who serves on a board advising Congress on Medicaid policy, says. “There’s just no evidence that too many people aren’t working who can work. If you say ‘able-bodied’ enough times, you give a sense that there are people just sitting around who could work, but that’s just not the case.”

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Are we sure Greiten is going anywhere? Doesn't he just have to pray really hard and blame it on gay marriages damaging the sacrament of marriage, and Republican shitsuckers will take him back?

No, not sure, just entertaining the possibility.  I'd say that while this isn't quite "dead girl, live boy" territory, it's considerably worse than your average sex scandal.

4 hours ago, Ormond said:

So I am also mystified as to why anyone thinks the governor resigning would result in a special election. The Lt. Governor will just become the governor.

Because there's 3 years left on his term.  Of course the Lieutenant will at least become acting, but that's a long time to have a vacancy.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Senator Flake says a proposed DACA agreement has been reached.

An agreement *among senate negotiators* has been reached; no word on whether the White House, House, or Senate Leadership is on board.

19 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Because there's 3 years left on his term.  Of course the Lieutenant will at least become acting, but that's a long time to have a vacancy.

No. The whole purpose of a Lt. Gov is to become the Governor if the Governor leaves office; that is literally their only role, other than sometimes getting to break state senate ties, depending on the state. There is no acting designation (except for sometimes for short-term things like if the Governor leaves the state for a trip). If Grietens resigns, Mike Parsons becomes the Governor, full stop.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

An agreement *among senate negotiators* has been reached; no word on whether the White House, House, or Senate Leadership is on board.

As far as I can tell, as long as Ryan/McConnell are on board with it Trump is on board with it. I don't believe that he provides any guidance. Hell, he almost went along with Feinstein's proposal for DACA. 

Just now, Kalbear said:

As far as I can tell, as long as Ryan/McConnell are on board with it Trump is on board with it. I don't believe that he provides any guidance. Hell, he almost went along with Feinstein's proposal for DACA. 

The issue is Stephen Miller. He's blocked previous attempts at a deal by basically being the last person to talk to Trump.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

No. The whole purpose of a Lt. Gov is to become the Governor if the Governor leaves office; that is literally their only role, other than sometimes getting to break state senate ties, depending on the state. There is no acting designation (except for sometimes for short-term things like if the Governor leaves the state for a trip). If Grietens resigns, Mike Parsons becomes the Governor, full stop.

Oye.  Yes, my point is I don't know if there would be a special election for him to fill out the term, a special election to fill the Lt. Governor post, they leave the LG vacant, or maybe a leader from the legislature will become acting LG (as what happened with Joseph Bruno in NY after Spitzer resigned).  I can't find Missouri's procedure quickly online - can anybody else?

Wallmart announces it's raising their mimimum hourly wage to $11 from $10 and cites the tax bill as the reason why. The same day they make this announcement, 63 Sam's Clubs stores with an average of 175 employees each, closed down without notifying the employees. Classy.

10 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Cornyn immediately threw cold water on it having the leadership's backing just yet:

"I think it's a good idea for them to share that with everybody else. My job is to count the votes, and I think until people are comfortable with the product, they're not gonna commit to voting for it, and that's what I think our goal should be, is to get it passed,” Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas) said. “So I welcome their contribution, but it's not gonna be something that's agreed to by just a handful of people."

23 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Wallmart announces it's raising their mimimum hourly wage to $11 from $10 and cites the tax bill as the reason why. The same day they make this announcement, 63 Sam's Clubs stores with an average of 175 employees each, closed down without notifying the employees. Classy.

I don't understand. Walmart announced these wage changes about a year and a half ago, iirc. Maybe longer. The tax bill had nothing to do with it. Why would Walmart lie? :o

As for the closing of the Sam's Club stores, your laws in the US really suck. Big time.

24 minutes ago, Mexal said:

So Walmart's tax burden will reduce by ~$2billion, and it is so generous it will use a whole 0.5% of that extra profit (on top of it's already pretty decent $13bn - $17Bn profits over the last 5 years) to improve the lives of its lowest paid workers to the value of $1 per hour.

I guess one thing they should be recognised for is that out of its total workforce of over 1 million people only ~6000 are working for the company minimum wage, and that minimum wage is higher than the federal minimum wage. 

23 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Why would Walmart lie? :o

Because that's what corporations do. But it's likely to 1) Suck Up To Trump, or 2) Show How Awesome Corporate Tax Cuts are, it's not like the CEO wouldn't have a vested interested in doing that or anything or a combination of both.

Anyway, in theory, these tax cuts are supposed to increase the capital stock which is then supposed to raise the productivity of workers, which in turn is supposed to lead to higher wages. It's insanely dumb and dishonest, at this juncture, to claim these tax cuts have already spurred so much capital investment that it is now leading to higher worker productivity and wages.

Archived