U.S. Politics: A Wolff In Sheep's Clothing

Martell Spy

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Now that's an interesting idea. The potential downside is her overshadowing the actual nominee; however, running against Trump will be so chaotic and unpredictable I'm not sure it matters. In fact, it may actually be helpful to have another source of noise to counter Trump.

Negative, mi amigo. Part of the problem with 2016 is Hillary got little to no attention on the issues. Having Oprah as the VP means it will be even harder to get the candidate the attention they need.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

However, my early prediction for the Democratic VP is... John Kasich. In an attempted fusion ticket after his primary challenge against Trump fails. Most nominees wouldn't be on board, but Kasich has the leverage of threatening a third party run and playing spoiler. 

No. Kasich needs to be a good solider and primary Trump. There's no chance he's the VP on the Democratic ticket.

54 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Look, Maith. I love ya man. I adore you, and I hate seeing you suffer under the tyranny of Dan Snyder.

But fuck me with a sandpaper dildo dude, why would you even say some shit like that? Do I come into your foyer and start detailing the weird relationship I have with the butter sculpture I created of Kylo Ren and Jessie Pinkman making beautiful love? Maybe.

But still man.

A way with words, your fowl mouth has.

27 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You tryin to smoke a blount?

I can get to Washington in like 6 hours....

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Now that's an interesting idea. The potential downside is her overshadowing the actual nominee; however, running against Trump will be so chaotic and unpredictable I'm not sure it matters. In fact, it may actually be helpful to have another source of noise to counter Trump.

However, my early prediction for the Democratic VP is... John Kasich. In an attempted fusion ticket after his primary challenge against Trump fails. Most nominees wouldn't be on board, but Kasich has the leverage of threatening a third party run and playing spoiler. 

I cannot even find the words to express how fucking angry this would make me.

Prediction: IF Oprah runs....god help us...the Internet will be replete with the word ‘actually’ used in many a 180. As in, ‘I was against the idea, but she actually has some good...yadda yadda. It WILL happen. ‘Presidential’.

14 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You ever seen the Pacific Ocean? It's cold and miserable. Just like my life.

Yes I have. It's breath taking in it's impressiveness and beauty. Just like your life. 

Go spark up and cheer up. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yes I have. It's breath taking in it's impressiveness and beauty. Just like your life. 

Go spark up and cheer up. 

:love:

My word! You're such a charmer. Like a Young William Jefferson Clinton who hopefully doesn't rape.

Trump's ambitious, at times bizarre, pinballing immigration meeting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/us/politics/trump-daca-immigration.html

You know, this could actually turn out to be a big net positive, especially if they can really convince him to ditch the wall he promised and go with other forms of border protections. It won't play well with his base at all though. 

Simpson’s hearing lasted for hours, and the transcript is extremely long and mostly fairly tedious. But Simpson does clearly state that when Steele spoke to the FBI about his findings, the bureau “believed Chris’s information might be credible because they had other intelligence that indicated the same thing, and one of those pieces of intelligence was a human source from inside the Trump organization.”

That sounds like Trump campaign aide George Papadopoulos, who, according to a recent report in the New York Times, accidentally kicked off the Trump-Russia investigation by telling Australian diplomat Alexander Downer that Russia had political dirt on Trump’s Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton, after a night of heavy drinking in May 2016.

Conservatives have recently been pushing a theory that the basis for the FBI investigation was an opposition research document compiled at the behest of Clinton’s campaign. Simpson’s testimony seems to confirm the Times account and thereby debunk a conservative counternarrative that places the dossier itself at the center of the story.

Newly released Senate testimony debunks a key conservative theory on Trump and Russia
The big news Republicans didn’t want you to see.

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/9/16870106/simpson-testimony-transcript

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No. Kasich needs to be a good solider and primary Trump. There's no chance he's the VP on the Democratic ticket.

I think there's a pretty good chance of it, if the nominee is a Democratic governor like Hickenlooper, Brown, Bel Edwards, or Cuomo. Most of the governors have pretty good relationships with each other across parties (excluding firebrands like LePage or Brownback), and could very well see a "bipartisan, return to sanity, know how to get things done in capitals" campaign slogan as extremely appealing.

Anyone else is the nominee, I agree the chances are lessened; but not non-existent. I think Kasich has a more moderate image than many here are giving credit for (I'm not saying he is moderate, just that he has the image) and if he went third party would peel some Democratic votes; especially in Ohio and other midwestern states. And the stakes are too in 2020 to let any voters peel off. Meanwhile, so long as the actual nominee keeps their liberal bonafides in tact, I don't think it depresses any base turnout.

Also, I think a fusion ticket would be a media bipartisan wet dream (it's Sorkin fantasy come to life!) and is one of the few non-Oprah things that could generate and keep media attention away from Trump.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

I think there's a pretty good chance of it, if the nominee is a Democratic governor like Hickenlooper, Brown, Bel Edwards, or Cuomo. Most of the governors have pretty good relationships with each other across parties (excluding firebrands like LePage or Brownback), and could very well see a "bipartisan, return to sanity, know how to get things done in capitals" campaign slogan as extremely appealing.

Anyone else is the nominee, I agree the chances are lessened; but not non-existent. I think Kasich has a more moderate image than many here are giving credit for (I'm not saying he is moderate, just that he has the image) and if he went third party would peel some Democratic votes; especially in Ohio and other midwestern states. And the stakes are too in 2020 to let any voters peel off. Meanwhile, so long as the actual nominee keeps their liberal bonafides in tact, I don't think it depresses any base turnout.

Also, I think a fusion ticket would be a media bipartisan wet dream (it's Sorkin fantasy come to life!) and is one of the few non-Oprah things that could generate and keep media attention away from Trump.

Yeah, and that's a major problem.  There's a made up image connected with Kasich that isn't at all like his actual character or ideology.  It's like McCain's fake maverick thing.  They use the PR image thing to their advantage, tricking a bunch of people into thinking their lives would be better if they only vote for them.  Then they vote for them and have no idea how they end up screwed so hard.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I would also like to note it is disappointing that the Democrats don't have a stronger bench of Latino officeholders.  I feel like Trump has done everything he can to alienate Latinos, whether it is Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Salvadorans or South Americans.  And yet the Democrats can't exactly point to their many important Latino Democrats.  The list is basically Sonya Sotomayor (who isn't technically a Democrat), Tom Perez, and then...that's the whole list.  Some Congresspeople, I guess, but that's small potatoes.  No major Governorships since Richardson. 

Well, the Castro brothers (Julan and Joaquin, not Fidel and Raul) have been the big names for a while now.  The problem is Julian begged off from running for anything - preferably a statewide office - in 2018.  I understand being cautious about taking on Cruz or Abbott, but he coulda ran for AG or something.  Catherine Cortez Masto also just got elected to Reid's seat in Nevada, but yeah, the bench is disappointingly thing.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Negative, mi amigo. Part of the problem with 2016 is Hillary got little to no attention on the issues. Having Oprah as the VP means it will be even harder to get the candidate the attention they need.

I really don't think issues are making a comeback in 2020, Oprah or no Oprah.  In fact, I think it's arguable how much issues have ever really had much of an influence in presidential generals, beyond the economy and major foreign affairs.  Anyway, I think Oprah as VP is too...Palin-y, to mimic the latter's tenuous grasp on the english language.  When the VP outshines the top the ticket, the ticket pretty invariably loses.

32 minutes ago, Fez said:

I think there's a pretty good chance of it, if the nominee is a Democratic governor like Hickenlooper, Brown, Bel Edwards, or Cuomo.

I think the possibility of any of those four gaining the nomination is very slim.  And most of that very slim I'd attribute to Cuomo.

32 minutes ago, Fez said:

I think Kasich has a more moderate image than many here are giving credit for (I'm not saying he is moderate, just that he has the image) and if he went third party would peel some Democratic votes; especially in Ohio and other midwestern states. And the stakes are too in 2020 to let any voters peel off. Meanwhile, so long as the actual nominee keeps their liberal bonafides in tact, I don't think it depresses any base turnout.

If Trump is as hated as he is now (which I think is incredibly likely), Kasich's effect on the Democratic ticket would be negligible if ran third party, outside of Ohio.  There is no strategic reason to add Kasich to the ticket when you could add a similarly moderate Dem governor from a purple state that is not going to inflame the far left and potentially galvanize a green party candidate or someone similar.

The media does have a penchant for fantasizing about a fusion, but there's a reason it never happens.  Even when McCain legitimately wanted to with Lieberman, the RNC said no.  The DNC would similarly put their foot down on Kasich, and with good reason.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Can Joe Arpaio be sued in civil court like OJ?

Yes, and he has.  (In fact he's been sued more times than that, just too lazy to look up the links.  His wiki page has em).

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Can Joe Arpaio be sued in civil court like OJ?

No, constitutionally, only black people are eligible for double jeopardy if their crime was committed against a white person, which is why OJ was so subjected.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Abraham Lincoln tried the fusion ticket, got no electoral benefit from it and the fallout fucked the country for one hundred years.

i won’t fucking vote for a fucking fusion ticket. I would rather have four more years of trump than risk something as bad as another hundred years of (new) American apartheid under president kasich.

a fusion ticket is probably the only thing that would convince me to not vote in 2020, I’d rather vote for Oprah or zuckerberg or Bloomberg or the rock. Fuck kasich and his fake moderate persona.

bipartisanship (which is just fake garbage championed by idiots to keep the plutocracy in comfort) can fuck right off.  Bipartisanship will accomplish nothing. The only way democrats will find proven success is the  same way the republicans did. Constant pure opposition and ever increasing partisanship, that is how one exercises, grows, and keeps political power in a madisonian democracy.

9 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Abraham Lincoln tried the fusion ticket, got no electoral benefit from it and the fallout fucked the country for one hundred years.

Unfair to Lincoln. At the time that he picked Johnson to be his running mate, it looked very possible that he would lose the election to George McClellan; and he likely would have if the Atlanta campaign hadn't gone as well as it did (and if the decision wasn't made to allow absentee voting by Union soldiers in the field). In the end, Johnson didn't do much other than flip Tennessee, which didn't matter; but when Lincoln picked him there was a clear need for every bit of help, and Johnson's help would've probably mattered.

As terrible a President as Johnson was, McClellan signing a peace treaty with the Confederacy would've been even worse.

18 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

No, constitutionally, only black people are eligible for double jeopardy if their crime was committed against a white person, which is why OJ was so subjected.

Being held liable in civil court after being acquitted of a crime is not and has never been double jeopardy.  

OJ Simpson was jailed after being convicted of a crime that had nothing to do with the death of Nichole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I just... I can't even. This idea is colossally terrible. And I don't possibly see how anyone could come to the conclusion that a third-party run by Kasich would have a more deleterious electoral effect on Democrats rather than the GOP. 

Archived