Unpopular Opinions?

Lady Anna

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:15 AM, bent branch said:

Three very prosaic reasons that Illyrio is not Gerion are:

1)  Illyrio is 10 to 15 years older than Gerion would be.

2)  Illyrio was becoming a very wealthy man with Varys before Gerion left Westeros.

3)  Tyrion would have been about 14 years old when Gerion left. It is not plausible that he wouldn't recognize his uncle.

For 1 and 2, we already have reason to doubt Illyrio's (and Varys') backstory. How much weight one gives 1 and 2 depends on how much weight one gives their backstory: are just a few details incorrect, is the whole thing is BS, or somewhere in between? :dunno:

For 3, it seems unlikely that Gerion was overweight like Tytos when Tyrion remembers him. Gerion's weight was never mentioned either way, only that he took after Tytos in some aspects. I have to think it unlikely that someone so overweight would be inclined to go on the sort of mission that Gerion went on which makes it possible that he gained a great deal after Tyrion saw him and that can change one's appearance significantly. We might not agree on this, but forgetting what someone would look like after so many years is a lot more conceivable when there are no photos, paintings, videos etc lying around. And we already have secret so-and-so plots in the story where people are unrecognizable. As Varys says, people see what they expect to see. 

On 8.3.2018. at 6:06 AM, House Beaudreau said:

the book will not end in a big ice zombie vs. Dragon battle where go triumphs over evil and everything goes down exactly how "it should". 

I think that Ados will be some kind of giant epilogue, like Agot was giant prologue.

On 7-3-2018 at 1:27 AM, Pride of Driftmark said:

Agree on all points except for #1. Don't get me wrong- I think it would be hilarious to see 25 years of RLJ theorizing turning out to be nothing at all, but Ned and Ashara I have trouble accepting. I'm more partial to the Brandon and Ashara theory.

I'm with you all the way to the bank on #4. Prince Doran is up to something that he's not cluing us in to. House Martell would have no reason to love House Targaryen. The Iron Throne took away Sunspear's autonomy, At least three Targaryen Kings attempted violent martial invasions of Dorne, and the Mad King kept Elia and her children as hostages. Not to mention that everyone, regardless of what story they've heard, agrees that Rhaegar abandoned Elia for Lyanna (whether it was actually abduction, seduction, or a bit of both, we don't know yet- although, I throw up in my mouth a little bit at the idea of a star-crossed lovers story). 

I get what you mean with #1 but I think R+L=D and that Daenerys is the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna. So the R+L theories are definitely not nothing. But I might be very wrong. But I guess Daenerys being Rhaegar's child is another unpopular opinion.

Adding to the Dorne thing I mentioned... Like you said it is really weird that people just accept that Dorne will fight for the Targs while they probably have even more reasons to hate them than the Lannisters. Besides that I will add another unpopular opinion. I don't like Doran at all. I don't understand why people like him. Sure he is a big schemer which can make him intriguing  but what has made him likable? I'd argue he is very unlikable sending Arianne, Oberyn and Quentyn on ill prepared suicide missions.

4 hours ago, JS97 said:

I Adding to the Dorne thing I mentioned... Like you said it is really weird that people just accept that Dorne will fight for the Targs while they probably have even more reasons to hate them than the Lannisters. Besides that I will add another unpopular opinion. I don't like Doran at all. I don't understand why people like him. Sure he is a big schemer which can make him intriguing  but what has made him likable? I'd argue he is very unlikable sending Arianne, Oberyn and Quentyn on ill prepared suicide missions.

Oberyn knew where he was going and who he was dealing with. He acted on his own with respect to the Mountain. But yes, Quentyn was not ready to go to Slaver's Bay, and no one knew anything about Aegon and his army, except that they were the Golden Company.

2 hours ago, JaimeLannister; said:

I always thought about Daenerys as a boring character, not on Jaime, Jon, Stannis, Roose, Sansa, Tyrion, Arya, Tywin's level. Everything about her just bores me and reading her chapters is way harder because of that apathetic feeling I get. 

I feel this way too. It's not that I don't like her character, I just happen to find her chapters not really exciting and detached from the main story we're reading. Like a commercial while watching a movie. 

Just now, The Sunland Lord said:

I feel this way too. It's not that I don't like her character, I just happen to find her chapters not really exciting and detached from the main story we're reading. Like a commercial while watching a movie. 

1 hour ago, JaimeLannister; said:

I always thought about Daenerys as a boring character, not on Jaime, Jon, Stannis, Roose, Sansa, Tyrion, Arya, Tywin's level. Everything about her just bores me and reading her chapters is way harder because of that apathetic feeling I get. 

Dany's story was interesting in the first book.  Second book, it was ok especially with the house of the undying.  After that I felt was pretty boring IMHO.

17 hours ago, JaimeLannister; said:

The cultures she encounters in her story also have few redeemable qualities. While I like to hear a bit about something like Qarth as a worldbuilding devise a whole book about a "young girl" helpless in this strange city full of crying slavers and traders which has no implications so far on any other character in the books is just boring. I like the commercial analogy of @The Sunland Lord, I feel the same

Spoiler

On 3/6/2018 at 7:28 PM, Pride of Driftmark said:

I'm a minor Stannis fanboy. I think he's such a fascinating character- flawed, driven, funny, but doomed. I accept he won't ever become king, but I hope that he dies fighting a worthwhile battle. 

Same here. Mostly because I find so much humor in his delivery. And oftentimes I think he's at his funniest when he's brusque, dismissive, or outright contemptuous of others. There's something about his manner of speaking that works on a comedic level even when it's unintentional. 

Ned+Ashara=Allyria

People go for

N+A= J

Brandon + A = A

or even B/N + A= Dany

but not N+A=A despite it's the one making most sense given what we know about it.

Also Mance's cloak being just a torn up cloak repaired with some Asshai silk but a tale of how Rhaegar or Arthur or Daario for all I care became Mance

16 hours ago, SirArthur said:

You think Ned would send his own future son in law against the Mountain ? fascinating. Tell me more. 

Allyria being her daughter not neccessarily means Ned knowing about her and to take your question seriously, yes he would act the same even if he knew.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, JaneSnow said:

Only on the first book so forgive me if I don't have all the evidence in place but going off what I know I guess the only unpopular opinion I have so far is that I sort of pity Joffrey in a way. Being a product of incest between twins is about as inbred as one can get, and while one can argue that Tommen and Myrcella didn't turn out insane like Joffrey, Cersei spoiled Joffrey all his life, more than the other too. He's a product of both his likely poor genetics and the toxic environment he was raised in. I still dislike him but in a way pity him, idk if that makes sense or not. 

Another thing is that his death really disturbed me. Choking is just such a terrifying excruciating way to go-I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Not being able to breath is the scariest thing one can experience. It immediately sends your body into overdrive, panic. You gasp, your eyes widen, your face turns pink, scarlet, blue, purple, dark plum, grey. You claw at your throat and thrash and smack yourself. Even Joffrey doesn't deserve that.

Archived