Unpopular Opinions?

Lady Anna

Just now, Anck Su Namun said:

I can't stand Jon.  I guess that is unpopular but that is how I feel about that character.  Reading his chapters is not at all enjoyable.  It would help if someone else was the point of view character at the wall.

I like Jon ok.  I'm just not as invested in his character as I am with others.  I think part of it is that even though he is a bastard, he is an acknowledged bastard with a lord's education who has regular contact with his father and siblings.  He has it better than smallfolk and unacknowledged bastards.  I have more sympathy with Pia or Mycah then I do with Jon. 

13 hours ago, Anck Su Namun said:

I can't stand Jon.  I guess that is unpopular but that is how I feel about that character.  Reading his chapters is not at all enjoyable.  It would help if someone else was the point of view character at the wall.

Me neither. And I find the "cinderella" part of his story (being the Targaryen heir... not yet relevaled in the books but pretty much sure) very boring.

2 hours ago, Elisabetta Duò said:

Me neither. And I find the "cinderella" part of his story (being the Targaryen heir... not yet relevaled in the books but pretty much sure) very boring.

Yep. Same reason I can't stand the Rhaegar/Lyanna love story theory. RLJ is fine, Romeo and Juliet making Jon is not OK. Too cliche.

Stannis being a head of the dragon.

Also can't say it's unpopular as it just occured to me, but I think it would be unpopular; Dragon has three heads but we do not have just the one dragon but two, a Black one and a Red one so two dragons with three heads.

Red's heads would then be Jon, Dany and Stannis.

Black's one head(that is seperated and washed red) is fAegon the other two could be Varys and Illyrio as some people suggest but not so sure on them.

I'll just quietly drop my unpopular opinions here.

I love Brienne's AFFC chapters.

1) her journey to the Whispers with poor Nimble Dick. The writing is so good, it's so eerie, long suspense. Then "Use your 'magic sword', girl!" And her realisation that Nimble Dick was basically an honest and good man. I tear up every time she tosses the gold coins into his grave. 

2) our glimpse of how Randyll Tarly rules, saying Brienne deserves to get raped for gadding about, Ser Hyle standing up for her, acknowlegeing her prowess in killing the Bloody Mummers at Whispers... He apparently gets sacked by Randyll Tarly. So he attaches himself with Brienne's quest. She's an heiress (Sole heir to Tarth). Ser Hyle comes to appreciate her and the warrior she is, he's not a bad guy, but he proposes marriage to get the Tarth title. Brienne refuses (apalled). She has got over Renly, her adolescent crush, and now dreams of Ser Jaime. Oh dear...

3) I love the Brienne chapter when she, Pod, Ser Hyle and Meribald and Dog negotiate the tidal flats to Quiet Isle. I love, love the writing, the descriptions.

The next Brienne chapters get worse and worse, but I really like them all. Not a popular opinion among some of the fandom, apparently.

On 4/5/2018 at 0:27 PM, talvikorppi said:

I'll just quietly drop my unpopular opinions here.

[snip]

I really like them all. Not a popular opinion among some of the fandom, apparently.

I love them, too.

Also apparently unpopular: I really enjoy Arya's HoBaW chapters.

On 4/5/2018 at 2:27 PM, talvikorppi said:

I'm a big fan of the Brienne chapters too. They give us an insight into the aftermath of war.

Also, I loved reading feast and dance and I want Syrio Forel to be alive.

You know nothing Old Nan.

I mean, the only time we get a description of giants from her, they are bloodthirsty savages who eat humans raw and use bones for toothpick but they are actually rather peaceful herbivores, unless provoked. I bet her other stories have many false elements as well.

Old Nan of the household of Stark, I name you a liar!

Just now, Deepbollywood Motte said:

Do you have a more elaborate theory backing that claim?

Where shall i start...

the whole scene of Raynald Westerling feeing him would be senseless if he dies later.

that his head was placed on robbs body is almost impossible, it would be way to big.

we never saw his corpse (nor was Raynalds ever found) only rumors and freys claim that he died, it wouldn't be the first time, freys lie and rumors are wrong. it all seems like a typical the-author-wants-us-to-belive-he-is-dead-situation.

it was established that warging can cause mind merging, which actually happend to the wildling ward and his eagle (forgot the name, sry) and i think an author wouldn't establish such a special process if it wouldn't happen to a more prominent character.

the only thing that bothers me a bit is that ghost couldn't sense GW, but this could be explained with the mind merging, that GW only exists as body, completely overtaken by Robb's mind, so for Ghost's senses he is Robb and not his brother anymore. or the wolf he couldn't sense is summer due to the wall dividing them and him beig near bloodraven, who could disturb such signals.

this is the short form, there is a very long reddit post by alaric1224 about this, if you are interested

The books WILL be finished:

Spoiler

George renovates his underground study into a sort of bunker which he can spend an extended amount of time in. He decides to seclude himself in there for about two months, shutting out the rest of the world.

There will be a real-world nuclear war which wipes out most people.

George survives, unknowing of the events due to his extreme focus on the writing the books.
He emerges with both WoW and aDoS manuscripts finished, realising he was too late.

Then he probably makes a blog post titled "Fuck HBO" "Winter Has Come" or something.

Nah, seriously. In my opinion I think a lot of elements in the story will be left unexplained, though I think this will be intentional in most cases.

I’m a Stark fan, but I’m really not convinced that they’re the good guys, or at least all of them.

· All of the families thus far have been a mix of good-ish characters and bad-ish characters. I don’t see that the Starks will be the exception.

· Winter is Coming. This could be interpreted as a warning...or a threat.

· Winterfell can be interpreted as Winter was defeated. Or it may be interpreted as Winter’s arrived not unlike snowfall and nightfall.

· There must always be a Stark at Winterfell. Some don’t think this is important, but I do. I entertain the idea that the Starks may a weapon of the Others hidden in plain sight. That said, the Others may be more complicated than we think, and it may not amount to the Starks (some or all) being bad.

· In reading the Rhoyne history in TWOIAF, we see the  utopian hippie wonderland of the Rhoyne destroyed by the evil, evil Valyrians. In that version, water (Ice) is good, fire is evil. In ASOIAF, we have the inverse. The world needs both, it’ll be about balance.

Archived