Bakker LIII - Sranc and File

.H.

3 hours ago, Fall Bass said:

If they ever did make a Second Apocalypse adaptation, I think the magic should look kind of phony and ridiculous. It's compared in-universe to a child scribbling across a master painting, so it would actually make more sense for at least the Anagogic sorcery to look bizarre and fake in display. Gnostic sorcery could be all fancy lines and geometric patterns. 

It took him way too long to bring up the idea that the Hundred and Ciphrang are possibly stoking violence and bad behavior in the World, making it worse than we'd expect if there was no Outside. 

Possibly like a kind of graffiti - perhaps a mix of medieval imagery style from old texts, but since say a dragons head is in a three dimensional environment and rapidly created, it kind of looks like it was sprayed onto reality. Making it look like medieval paintings but badly done around the edges would lend to the idea of it being a corruption of gods song.

And yeah, the Gnosis should look kinda like Tron.

16 hours ago, kuenjato said:

I'm reminded of another major issue of TAE. Bakker constantly claimed the sex / gender stuff was a major internal theme, one that shouldn't be criticized until the series was complete, as he was intentionally evoking gender oppression to... [wait for it!]. Problem was, nothing was illuminated by the end, and all the sexual violence wasn't given any 

Bakker probably thinks he did illuminate everything with the Dragon. 

On 1/31/2018 at 6:06 AM, Let's Get Kraken said:

Because that'd be so inconsistent with the rest of the story?

C'mon, all of the evidence for Shae possessing the Dunsult is that they kinda-sorta talk in order, until they don't. I find the Daario = Benjen theories more convincing.

That's not all the evidence.   There's something to the effect that "it didn't matter which spoke, because Truth spoke with a single Voice."  Dunyain is the Kunuiric (or however you spell it) word for Truth and Voice was what they called souls in The False Sun.  The line is wordplay - "the Dunyain spoke with a single soul."

12 hours ago, Ajûrbkli said:

That's not all the evidence.   There's something to the effect that "it didn't matter which spoke, because Truth spoke with a single Voice."  Dunyain is the Kunuiric (or however you spell it) word for Truth and Voice was what they called souls in The False Sun.  The line is wordplay - "the Dunyain spoke with a single soul."

While my guess is that the Shûnsult (?) theory is correct, this kind of theorizing is very reminiscent of all the old theories on this forum that didn't payoff. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 11:05 PM, Dora Vee said:

From what I've heard, he's been working on the third trilogy for quite some time. The question is how it will end up published. He claims that the first book will focus on the Boy. TBH, I don't know if I will bother. 

I thought the last series was just going to be 2 books.  Do we know how many it will be?

14 hours ago, WalterX said:

I thought the last series was just going to be 2 books.  Do we know how many it will be?

It depends on what he can ultimately get a publisher to agree to, I suppose. Bakker doesn't sound interested in trying out a self-publishing route (at least with books - he's self-published the Atrocity Tales on his site). 

23 hours ago, WalterX said:

I believe that's accurate to what RSB always said in the past, as in when he was still writing the Prince of Nothing. But he also said that the Aspect Emperor was supposed to be 3 books. And that a lot of things in the books would have a point. He says a lot of things that end up being less than factually accurate.

1 hour ago, matt b said:

I believe that's accurate to what RSB always said in the past, as in when he was still writing the Prince of Nothing.

Yeah, they were all "supposed" to only be two books in the initial outline.  None ever stayed that contained.

Considering that Bakker said that he wanted to do a book on the fate of the nameless, crab-handed boy and that this was something he wanted to write first, so as to not seem like a pointless addendum to TNG itself, I can't imagine there being any less than 3 books forthcoming, but more likely, 4.

5 hours ago, .H. said:

Yeah, they were all "supposed" to only be two books in the initial outline.  None ever stayed that contained.

Considering that Bakker said that he wanted to do a book on the fate of the nameless, crab-handed boy and that this was something he wanted to write first, so as to not seem like a pointless addendum to TNG itself, I can't imagine there being any less than 3 books forthcoming, but more likely, 4.

As he refuses to consider self-publication, I doubt it will be 4. I sorta have doubts it will be even one, given the general reception to the latter books of TAE, though he might be able to wiggle in a book-by-book contract with someone large, figuring their might be just enough RSB fanboys to turn a profit with a low advance. Not sure, though. Already tanked a book with Tor, right? Not sure who else would fit that picture.

5 hours ago, .H. said:

Considering that Bakker said that he wanted to do a book on the fate of the nameless, crab-handed boy and that this was something he wanted to write first, so as to not seem like a pointless addendum to TNG itself

So if the next book was released after TNG it would seem like a pointless addendum? Did Bakker say that? Because if that's the case he better release it as a standalone or it will be a pointless addendum to the series as a whole anyway like most of TAE.

11 hours ago, Hello World said:

So if the next book was released after TNG it would seem like a pointless addendum? Did Bakker say that? Because if that's the case he better release it as a standalone or it will be a pointless addendum to the series as a whole anyway like most of TAE.

I had my wording slightly off, but the quote of his quote was, "He said at Zaudunyanicon straight up that if he wrote it after the other two or more books of TNG that people would think it a cheap add-on so he wants to do it first."

Which spurred my thought that it would be an Eärwa version of Blood Meridian and that the crab-handed boy is not a savior or a hero, but rather, another survivor trying to survive.  Just like the nameless kid in Blood Meridian, he wouldn't be a traditional hero or anything, but rather an exposition of the world and the trials he goes through, people he meets.  I could easily be wrong, but my idea would be that this is why it would be written first, so that it doesn't seem like some random "extra" content tacked onto the end.  I mean, it might in any case anyway, but that was just my take-away.

1 hour ago, .H. said:

I had my wording slightly off, but the quote of his quote was, "He said at Zaudunyanicon straight up that if he wrote it after the other two or more books of TNG that people would think it a cheap add-on so he wants to do it first."

Which spurred my thought that it would be an Eärwa version of Blood Meridian and that the crab-handed boy is not a savior or a hero, but rather, another survivor trying to survive.  Just like the nameless kid in Blood Meridian, he wouldn't be a traditional hero or anything, but rather an exposition of the world and the trials he goes through, people he meets.  I could easily be wrong, but my idea would be that this is why it would be written first, so that it doesn't seem like some random "extra" content tacked onto the end.  I mean, it might in any case anyway, but that was just my take-away.

Barf

2 hours ago, .H. said:

Yeah, that makes sense. Bakker said something about the next series consisting of Atrocity Tales and this sounds like a long form Atrocity Tale to me. If that's the case it may still be a bad idea to release it as book one of TNG, especially with how TUC was received by many.

9 hours ago, .H. said:

So its A Feast For Crows and Crabicus is Brienne on a travelogue to show us how shitty war is on the little people?  But with more rape and more phalluses?

I love the series.  I even liked TUC (I know... I'm a heretic...) but I have no interest in that.

Archived