The Urantia Book

Ordos

I've been reading several religious texts in recent years and during my research online, I stumbled across this book. I have not read it yet or purchased a copy so I will not say too much about it though there is A LOT one can say about this book.

The book is about 2000 pages long, the author/authors are anonymous, there is an interesting story of how the book was written and the book covers a wide range of topics including science and religion. At first the idea of a massive tome was daunting, but after thinking about it I realized how much I could learn from reading it and giving me more than a year of fascinating reading material!

The book is said to be a divine revelation and has its believers but there is no religion built around it and there are no people going around trying to impose their belief in the book on others. The bright blue cover is also aesthetically pleasing. I've heard how this book draws people in or how this book 'finds you'. I can completely agree with this.

Has anyone here read this book?

6 hours ago, Ordos said:

I've been reading several religious texts in recent years and during my research online, I stumbled across this book. I have not read it yet or purchased a copy so I will not say too much about it though there is A LOT one can say about this book.

The book is about 2000 pages long, the author/authors are anonymous, there is an interesting story of how the book was written and the book covers a wide range of topics including science and religion. At first the idea of a massive tome was daunting, but after thinking about it I realized how much I could learn from reading it and giving me more than a year of fascinating reading material!

The book is said to be a divine revelation and has its believers but there is no religion built around it and there are no people going around trying to impose their belief in the book on others. The bright blue cover is also aesthetically pleasing. I've heard how this book draws people in or how this book 'finds you'. I can completely agree with this.

Has anyone here read this book?

No, but the cover sounds pretty awesome!

The story regarding its initial publications and author(s) was really interesting, but the portions I read that were available online somewhere - it's been awhile, I cannot remember the resource - were bizarre and lost my interest rapidly. It's definitely worth reading the Wikipedia article and a couple oddballs praising it on their blogs, if not the thing itself. What do you mean, you completely agree? The book found you, or it drew you in? 

5 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

What do you mean, you completely agree? The book found you, or it drew you in? 

I'm just interested in religion in general although I am not religious. I also love reading.

A bright blue book with over 2000 pages claimed to be divine revelation with the author being anonymous. When I say it finds me and draws me in, I mean the book being what it is, one cannot help but pick it up and read it. 

The book is available online to read for free, but I'm going to purchase the book on Amazon because I prefer paper.

10 hours ago, Ordos said:

but after thinking about it I realized how much I could learn from reading it and giving me more than a year of fascinating reading material!

I've heard how this book draws people in or how this book 'finds you'. I can completely agree with this.

but

I have not read it yet or purchased a copy

So err how do you know?

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

After a long chain of bad luck I just obtained to book two days ago. First impressions: The book is gigantic! The Forward is very wordy and difficult to comprehend.

I've also read online that the book contains racist and pro-eugenics arguments. That's most unfortunate, but hopefully the rest of the book is not as objectionable. 

• 11 months later...

I've just passed the halfway point of reading the book. There is much I can say but to be brief, it is becoming one of my all time favorite books. I've learned so much and a lot of the historic narrative of the evolution of society and religion makes so much sense! The science is flawed but much of it is true and presented in a way more digestible than an ordinary boring textbook. The detailed description of the celestials and heaven on the other hand are very hard to believe. The eugenics stuff can at first seem offensive, but it's not advocating any racial supremacy.

I was atheist in thinking for a while now, but with this book in my life, now I'm not so sure.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Nothing like bad science, difficult to believe descriptions of the heavens, and some eugenics to convert an atheist to an agnostic!  Excited to hear how this turns out!

At current pace, tune in next january. I’ll be waiting with bated breath

Archived