Let's talk about some of the awful art on the wiki

Falcon2909

22 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

That would be an idea.

As far as I know the permission stuff is rather easy. Usually the artists get commissioned by the publisher to draw something for a book and they get paid for it, but they do not retain the copyright for their works. So usually the copyright for the illustrations is with the publisher. That means the artists are not able to give permission, only the publisher is. If it is the same with TWoIaF and F&B, any image from these sources needs to be removed, unless someone is able to get a permission.

Who would have to be contacted for such permissions precisely, do you know?

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Who would have to be contacted for such permissions precisely, do you know?

Unfortunately I do not know. I once tried to get the permission for the German wiki, but I did not succeed. The artists told me the rights were with the publisher, the German publisher told me the rights were with the artists (which does not seem likely to me), and when I contacted Random House, I got no response at all. That was the point when I gave up.

I think I would try to get in touch with Random House again or to send a request to Penguin Random House or Bentam. Maybe it even would be a possibility to ask GRRM himself if that was possible.

Archived