Bryan Fuller is adapting Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles for TV

AncalagonTheBlack

Bryan Fuller is trading gods for vampires.

The writer and producer, who exited as showrunner of Starz’s American Gods last fall, has officially joined the team bringing Anne Rice’s best-selling novels The Vampire Chronicles to television.

Rice’s son (and fellow author) Christopher Rice announced the news in a Facebook post Thursday. “It’s our great pleasure to officially announce that Bryan has become a member of the creative family working to bring the story of the vampire Lestat to television,” he wrote, after sharing a story describing Fuller’s lifelong interest in Rice’s vampire novels.

Any bets on when he'll drop out of this one?

As I recall, huge chunks of the novels are flashbacks to different historical periods. I don't think chronological or publication order would be practical. It could take place in the present day with extensive flashbacks gradually filling in the backstory, but I don't think there's all that much to the present day bits of the books to work with, at least early on. I think they'd have to come up with a lot of new material to make a viable series.

1 hour ago, felice said:

Any bets on when he'll drop out of this one?

As I recall, huge chunks of the novels are flashbacks to different historical periods. I don't think chronological or publication order would be practical. It could take place in the present day with extensive flashbacks gradually filling in the backstory, but I don't think there's all that much to the present day bits of the books to work with, at least early on. I think they'd have to come up with a lot of new material to make a viable series.

He won't drop out if there are already OK with having an extensive budget and letting him do what he wants creatively... which they should be aware at this point is what they'll signing up for with Fuller. Just like networks should know that a crappy show finished quickly on budget is what they're signing up for when they hire Scott Buck.

The casting for this is going to be really interesting.

Who would hire Fuller these days?  He can't stay on budget, he walks away from projects, and his fetish for slow mo flying blood doesn't make for great watching? Furthermore, the vampire trend seems to be long past us so it's not even like they can hope to garner a large audience based just on trend.  This all seems so bizarre.

52 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Who would hire Fuller these days? 

Me. For all his issues, when he gets on game there's no-one like him. Also, it seems pretty clear that in both cases where he's walked away, he was asked to. And quite possibly in stepping down rather than waiting to be fired in that situation he saved the companies a fee, although I don't know that for sure (it's my suspicion coz that's usually the case in football when a manager steps down 'by mutual consent').

I'm not especially interested in him doing this project, but if it does happen I'll watch it because if anyone can make the subject matter interesting to me, it'll be him.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Me. For all his issues, when he gets on game there's no-one like him. Also, it seems pretty clear that in both cases where he's walked away, he was asked to. And quite possibly in stepping down rather than waiting to be fired in that situation he saved the companies a fee, although I don't know that for sure (it's my suspicion coz that's usually the case in football when a manager steps down 'by mutual consent').

I'm not especially interested in him doing this project, but if it does happen I'll watch it because if anyone can make the subject matter interesting to me, it'll be him.

I see it differently.  These networks are willing to invest tons of money into a show only to have Fuller refuse to work within a certain budget.  He's proven difficult to work with and he has a record for not finishing his projects.

Though I'm also coming from an angle of someone who does NOT like his style.  Hannibal was ruined, imo, by too much injection of his personal style.  American Gods was just on the verge of being really enjoyable if it weren't for Fuller style.  Maybe this network hopes they can reign him in.

Yup. American Gods had a $2 million per episode budget increase for Season 2. That's extraordinarily generous for Starz. Fuller said that wasn't enough and appears to have thrown a bit of a strop. That's really poor form.

It's one thing if you're a Joss Whedon-in-his-prime or a JJ Abrams and you've reached a sort of meta-showrunner status where you have multiple shows you kick off and then walk away from after a few episodes but with a good team in place, but this is a very different situation. I think Fuller is a good writer but he has repeatedly shown himself to be unreliable as a showrunner or producer and unable to work in the strictures of television budgets. I think he's also pushing his luck: his shows have been well-reviewed, but none have been massive ratings break-out successes, nor has he developed a movie career (as Whedon and Abrams did). You wonder how long he's going to keep being lucky.

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's one thing if you're a Joss Whedon-in-his-prime or a JJ Abrams and you've reached a sort of meta-showrunner status where you have multiple shows you kick off and then walk away from after a few episodes but with a good team in place, but this is a very different situation.

To be fair that's basically what happened on Star Trek Discovery, even if it appears to have mostly been a happy accident via the 'yeah this isn't working out' route. His fall out there doesn't appear to have been that acrimonious.

Different story with American Gods, although latest word seems to be that he might still be involved.

I need to see what happens with American gods post-Fuller before I can be interested in any more projects from him. He seems remarkably good at getting the ball rolling on something and then disappears. I often wonder if the financial argument is just an excuse to allow him to move elsewhere.

Discovery seems to have survived his leaving. Who knows what will happen with American Gods? Maybe it'll improve as a lot of the issues I had with season 1 felt a bit like they could be Fuller overindulgences to be honest. What's worse with American Gods is how a few cast members have jumped ship with him eg Gillian Anderson.

Maybe he's just someone who enjoys the creative process or maybe he's going to have to grow up a bit and do movies if he wants such large budgets?

Although there is the LOTR show coming out which has an insane budget as part of the agreement. Maybe he'll go there once he tires of the amazing stories anthology show and this show?

Archived