Is Jon Snow Going to Get a Dragon?

lAPPYc

(I mistakenly posted this in the World of Ice and Fire forum. I am reposting it here)

In ADWD, Jon has a dream:

Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. "Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist...

So we can assume that Jon is going to wield a burning sword. So now imagine our hero soaring high above the battlefield, finally in his rightful place; atop a dragon(assuming that R+L = J). It is the moment of judgment, and Westeros has united behind its rightful king in its last desperate claim to life. In the battle for dawn, Jon's dragon is breathing fire and melting the creatures of Winter to dew wherever it can find them. The sight of their king in the sky is giving his soldiers courage, and they are screaming "For Winterfell" as they kill the Others and seek out their mothers. Jon's blade is burning red hot in his fist, the flames whipping past him as his dragon challenges the winds of winter, and he is cutting down the wights and setting them afire left and...

Yeah. You see the problem? This whole charade that introduces the burning swords to us falls upon its face from dragonhigh if Jon ever gets a dragon. That sword is no use to him from the sky unless he can use it as a boomerang. Of course, he could land the dragon, but the dragonriders strap themselves on the saddles of the dragons, so if Jon starts unstrapping himself in the midst of the battle, half the battle will be over by the time he dismounts. And even when he dismounts before the kingdom gets overrun by the ice spiders, an Other simply needs to stand below where he is jumping, its spear upraised, pointy end first so it will get stuck where the sun don't shine. Now I know what you're thinking, Jon will just dive headfirst, holding his awesome, burning sword before him. But that will probably only result in the flames from the swords burning his face off as they whip upwards. But even if this doesn't happen, our guy is no gymnast, and he will need time to get up, and that's a guaranteed death in a battlefield. Worst case scenario being that his dragon itself tramples him to death.

And even if all of this doesn't happen, and he dismounts without an ice spider swallowing him midjump, and gets up quickly with some badass moves, regardless the weight of the armor, what was the point of the dragon if he just meant to dismount? What will the dragon do now? Grab a popcorn? A dragon cannot eat popcorn, it is known. The corns will just burst with heat. From the need of the dragonseed mounts in the Dance, we know that riderless dragons are pretty much useless. So...

It militarily stupid to give a lightbringer wielding man a dragon.

There does seem to be a dragonbinding horn at the Wall for some reason.  I doubt Melisandre could destroy it with fire and powders.

A Dance with Dragons - Jon III

Lady Melisandre watched him rise. "FREE FOLK! Here stands your king of lies. And here is the horn he promised would bring down the Wall." Two queen's men brought forth the Horn of Joramun, black and banded with old gold, eight feet long from end to end. Runes were carved into the golden bands, the writing of the First Men. Joramun had died thousands of years ago, but Mance had found his grave beneath a glacier, high up in the Frostfangs. And Joramun blew the Horn of Winter, and woke giants from the earth. Ygritte had told Jon that Mance never found the horn. She lied, or else Mance kept it secret even from his own.

I may be an old romantic, but please carry on with your first paragraph I was enjoying that haha. Seriously though it would be cool if people on here wrote more fan-fiction to explain their theories rather than the mindless posts that I seem to see so much of.

I had reasoned out the Lightbringer + Dragon= pointless Conundrum by the thoughts that perhaps something will occur within the books that will mean the dragons are not effective against the NK. The spoiler below is from the released chapters of TWOW so beware if you're avoiding.

Spoiler

In the released chapters for TWOW, Euron has a valyrian steel set of armour. If the NK gets it maybe Jon will need an extra level of magic sword to kill him. Surely any old VS blade wouldn't pierce VS armour. Also could it infer some sort of dragon fire protection?.... meh I'm not convinced either but maybe.

Your post gave me an interesting thought though. Dany and Jon are likely the royal Targaryen couple, and as you said Jon could be the rightful king. I have a theory that Lightbringer will come about from royal blood sacrifices so "Water" in the AA myth is Ned dying via Ice, then the "lion" could be one or both of Jaime and Cersei dying via OK and WW (both from Ice), then Nissa-Nissa is the real sacrifice of someone you love. And if royal blood is important then maybe Jon could be Dany's Nissa-Nissa instead of the other way round as I always thought. Then Dany could hand the flaming sword (OK or WW or a reforged ICE) to Jorah after she's killed Jon for Jorah to finish the job. But not before she has gotten pregnant with Jon's child. Later she dies during childbirth leaving the new king in the hands of the surviving POV characters, Sam, Jorah, Brienne, Tyrion maybe Sansa and Arya too. I would be utterly wrecked by the end if that was the case.

Side note: Joramun's horn was supposed to "wake giants from the earth" probably incites earthquakes IMO, hence its wall destroying capabilities, and its believed Mance's fake was destroyed by Mel, I think Sam has it actually. The dragonbinding horn is en-route to Meereen. But will Tyrion manage to give it a toot before Victarion does?

4 hours ago, lAPPYc said:

A good point, but don't forget the story was written by a man who thinks that you can draw a greatsword over your shoulder.

However, if the dragon riding or the flaming sword happen to serve a different purpose than a battle royale... the seeming discrepancy might become a moot point.

I don't see Jon getting a dragon happening.If something supernatural occurs he may be able to mess with a dragon mind or so,something temporary but him getting one <_<

Jon belongs to the OGs.

I don't think the dragons are going to be anything else but a lot of trouble if Dany ever gets to Westeros.

9 hours ago, lAPPYc said:

The Dragons are lightbringer, Dany is the AA archetype, killing her beloved to create her flaming weapons. I am sure Jon will get one of her castoffs. 

9 hours ago, LynnS said:

There does seem to be a dragonbinding horn at the Wall for some reason.  I doubt Melisandre could destroy it with fire and powders.

The first men did not tame dragons and the Valyrians did not write with first men runes. 

2 hours ago, LionoftheWest said:

I think that Jon will indeed get a dragon and then he and Danaerys will fight the Second Dance of Dragons after the Others have been defeated.

Two books isn't enough time to get Dany to Westeros, fight the others and then rebuild enough to have Jon and Dany fight. 

1 minute ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Two books isn't enough time to get Dany to Westeros, fight the others and then rebuild enough to have Jon and Dany fight. 

Well, the way I imagine is that Danaerys will go north to help Jon fight the Others and then kind of immedietly afterwards tensions between them will result in a new war. I'm not sure why it would be necessary to rebuild anyting for them to fight a war after the Others have been defeated. Jon will be hailed as King in the North while Danaerys will claim to be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. And after the Others are gone there's no great threat or crisis that would force them to set aside their differences.

1 hour ago, LionoftheWest said:

Well, the way I imagine is that Danaerys will go north to help Jon fight the Others and then kind of immedietly afterwards tensions between them will result in a new war. I'm not sure why it would be necessary to rebuild anyting for them to fight a war after the Others have been defeated. Jon will be hailed as King in the North while Danaerys will claim to be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. And after the Others are gone there's no great threat or crisis that would force them to set aside their differences.

Well, Dany does not know of the Others, and after the next "long" night there won't be enough people around to have armies and to fight. 

I don't believe Jon will receive a dragon. By the time Jon and Danerys finally meet I believe Danerys will have had at least Viserion stolen (then killed by her and Drogon) by Vic or Euron or Aegon and Rhaegal killed in battle.  Drogon will be mounted by Danerys only, and she (or someone else) will have to sacrifice him at the end of the war to appease the rest of humanity as dragons are too dangerous.

That said I will be surprised if there is a real Lightbringer in the books, though I can see Jon picking up Stannis' sword and resuming his cause as I expect they'll be leading the cause against the Others.

44 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I don't believe Jon will receive a dragon. By the time Jon and Danerys finally meet I believe Danerys will have had at least Viserion stolen (then killed by her and Drogon) by Vic or Euron or Aegon and Rhaegal killed in battle.  Drogon will be mounted by Danerys only, and she (or someone else) will have to sacrifice him at the end of the war to appease the rest of humanity as dragons are too dangerous.

That said I will be surprised if there is a real Lightbringer in the books, though I can see Jon picking up Stannis' sword and resuming his cause as I expect they'll be leading the cause against the Others.

I don't think anyone will rececive a dragon. But at least a couple will take one. 

14 hours ago, LynnS said:

There does seem to be a dragonbinding horn at the Wall for some reason.

I recall Tormund laughing at Jon regarding this big impressive horn, saying it was just an old giant's horn they had found - that the Horn of Jorumun was elsewhere. (I suspect the modest old horn that Samwell Tarly took with him to Oldtown.) Plus - did the first men - sorry, "First Men" - even know about dragons? I thought the FM (not "faceless", I mean First) arrived in Westeros long before the Valyrian Freehold had ever bred dragons from fyrewyrms.

So I'm skeptical about dragonbinding horns at the Wall. Euron says he has one, and very well might.

At this point, dragonriding is moot for Jon Snow, since he's apparently (still) dead.

3 minutes ago, zandru said:

I recall Tormund laughing at Jon regarding this big impressive horn, saying it was just an old giant's horn they had found - that the Horn of Jorumun was elsewhere. (I suspect the modest old horn that Samwell Tarly took with him to Oldtown.) Plus - did the first men - sorry, "First Men" - even know about dragons? I thought the FM (not "faceless", I mean First) arrived in Westeros long before the Valyrian Freehold had ever bred dragons from fyrewyrms.

So I'm skeptical about dragonbinding horns at the Wall. Euron says he has one, and very well might.

At this point, dragonriding is moot for Jon Snow, since he's apparently (still) dead.

that horn was broken and jon (or someone else) tried to use it and ir didn t make a sound.

I hope that the horn is just an old horn used by some rangers of the NW a lot of time ago. Otherwise someone should have dreams about the horn...

Archived