U.S. Politics: And a Happy "Shithole" Year

Sivin

12 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I've never claimed you were not polite or that being polite mattered all that much, but sure, if that's what you want for yourself.  Otherwise you're just trying to police what you think is 'proper decorum', which is something that is not universal at all. 

Ormon's post (in the other thread, I believe) about the actual word is less important than the intent is spot on.  Who the fuck cares about the word shithole?  Only petty people who get stuck on classist bullshit like 'proper decorum'.  The intent behind 'shithole' is what matters here.  Decent folks aren't mad that the president said the s word.  They're mad that he's a racist shitbag piece of scum.  

But wouldn't you agree that politeness is at least helpful ?

What will going down into swamp really accomplish ?

4 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I don' know. I think lots of times it's better to call bullshit, bullshit, rather than beating around the bush, and not calling it like it is, in the name of "civility".

When Trump complains about there are too many brown people that want to come to this country, rather than blond haired and blue eyed Aryans, I don't think that merits a "civil" response.

I'll take a honest and to the point potty mouth, over a "civil" bullshit artist any day of the week.

Then he's won. We've become him.  

1 minute ago, GAROVORKIN said:

But wouldn't you agree that politeness is at least helpful ?

What will going down into swamp accomplish ?

Helpful in what?  Who does it help?  When does it help?  What does it help?  Who decides what is polite and what isn't?  

Who are you to determine that not using certain words makes something polite?  Dog whistling or overt racism isn't fucking polite just because you don't fucking use the word fuck.

17 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I said it in the other topic, but I've always been baffled that swearing is reprehensible or lowers the standard of a dialogue. Fuck that idea. The only thing that lowers the standard of discussion is the ideas in the discussion.

If You find him reprehensible , why do want to talk like him? Does that mean you want to be like him? 

3 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Then he's won. We've become him.  

1 minute ago, GAROVORKIN said:

If You find him reprehensible , why do want to talk like him? Does that mean you want to be like him? 

Now you're just being the rudest fucking jerk in the world.

A lack of swear words doesnt make you polite, sweetheart.

20 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I believe that constantly using swear words usually is a sign that one isn't thinking very clearly.

I don't think it has any real correlation whatsoever. Yes, a lot of people swear as a reflex when they get angry, but there are plenty of people who never swear at all despite being reactionary, unthoughtful people and plenty of others who swear casually all the time despite being some of the most thoughtful, intelligent people you'll meet. It's simply a case of language patterns, and I tend to associate that kind of opinion against it as a sort of class snobbery, as- in my countries at least- working-class people are more likely to be more often sweary. That's possibly completely unfair to you, but I often do see it used in that manner, by someone in a higher social class to dismiss the thoughts of someone 'lower' than them because they used bad words.

In pure logical terms you might be right about what that means for the use of the word 'fuck' but I don't believe that anyone is using it in that way, or thinking of it sexually at all, when they use it as a pejorative. And it's definitely not an inherently violent word, since if you do use it in the purely literal sense of what it means there's no violent context to it whatsoever- 'let's fuck' does not mean 'let's rape' or anything close to it.

eta: I see Dr. Pepper pre-empted my first response far more succintly.

7 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

I have no idea what that even means, since I just made it perfectly clear that I don't think reprehensibility has anything to do with swearing.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Helpful in what?  Who does it help?  When does it help?  What does it help?  Who decides what is polite and what isn't?  

Who are you to determine that not using certain words makes something polite?  Dog whistling or overt racism isn't fucking polite just because you don't fucking use the word fuck.

And again you miss the point. But  your right its free country , people should be also to  talk potty mouth.  Perhaps it contributes in some arcane way to enlightenment that im not aware .

Just now, GAROVORKIN said:

And again you miss the point. But  your righ,t its free country , people should be also to  talk potty mouth.  Perhaps it contributes in some arcane way to enlightenment that im not aware .

I'm not the one missing the point here.  You claim a lack of certain words makes something polite.  It doesn't, not on it's own.  You were incredibly rude in several posts despite not using words that are typically defined as 'swears'.  You were the true potty mouth here.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

13 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Now you're just being the rudest fucking jerk in the world.

A lack of swear words doesnt make you polite, sweetheart.

7 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Trump could have not used the term "shithole" and still the meaning and import of his words would have still been reprehensible.

Some people swear some people don't and politeness can be full of insulting condescension.  Language and how it's used can be tricksy. I have to agree with the above comments here, Prezzie Shithole could have not dropped the 'S' bomb true, and what he said about having more immigrants from places like Norway was polite I guess, but deeply racist and insulting, no shithole words needed. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm not the one missing the point here.  You claim a lack of certain words makes something polite.  It doesn't, not on it's own.  You were incredibly rude in several posts despite not using words that are typically defined as 'swears'.  You were the true potty mouth here.

Rude because im pointing out something people don't like hearing  ? Interesting.

Moving back to the motherfucker who said 'shithole' about several countries.  The thing is the entire world understood the meaning.  He was talking almost entirely about people who are not white or wealthy.  He wasn't talking about white europeans from lower class countries.  Several ambassadors have acknowledged that this commentary was so atrocious, not the actual word but the intent, that they've resigned.  Remember, this comes amid all the massive ICE raids being carried out, as well as the ending of multiple programs.  Families are being uprooted and ripped apart.  It's all motivated by this extreme racism the president seems to have embedded in his dna.

Here's a polite comment:

“[Trump’s comments are] encouraging and refreshing,” wrote Andrew Anglin, the neo-Nazi editor of the Daily Stormer. “It indicates Trump is more or less on the same page as us with regards to race and immigration…[It] is a huge leap from where the rest of the entirety of the political system in this country is at.”

No swear words needed to understand how offensive this is.  The Daily Stormer folks apparently approve the Shithole's shitty remarks.  

52 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Yes but there is the possibility that some high minded legislators  might on whim of extreme generosity might  decide to give this benefit to overseas citizens. There people that do think this way.

It never gets old, opining on things you are completely ignorant about, isn't it? Whether it's health care for children, the presence of Nazis in law enforcement, or the current status of higher education in this country, you might get more use out of learning about things you issue proclamations about, instead of unclenching your shithole to release one of your uninformed opinions, getting corrected on basic facts, and then self-seriously lecturing people about civility. With all due respect, of course.

14 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Rude because im pointing out something people don't like hearing  ? Interesting.

No, you're rude because you're, obviously deliberately, repeatedly ignoring the point being made to you that swearing is far less harmful to a discussion than, say, attempting to derail discourse by accusing the people disagreeing with you of being like Trump just because they also swear, thus trying to delegitimise their position and avoid having to engage with it, or than pretending like the real problem with what Trump said is the swearword rather than the racism that would have been present whether he swore or not.

Archived