U.S. Politics: And a Happy "Shithole" Year

Sivin

Just now, Nasty LongRider said:

Here's someone who just can't bring himself to spell out shithole in a tweet.  Must be such a nice young man.

See, that's the kind of punctilious civility that "No Nazi threat here!" Garovorkin wants to restore to American civic culture.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

See, that's the kind of punctilious civility that "No Nazi threat here!" Garovorkin wants to restore to American civic culture.

Plus the "Hail Trump!" at the end is such a nice touch, don't you think?

35 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Moving back to the motherfucker who said 'shithole' about several countries.  The thing is the entire world understood the meaning.  He was talking almost entirely about people who are not white or wealthy.  He wasn't talking about white europeans from lower class countries.  Several ambassadors have acknowledged that this commentary was so atrocious, not the actual word but the intent, that they've resigned.  Remember, this comes amid all the massive ICE raids being carried out, as well as the ending of multiple programs.  Families are being uprooted and ripped apart.  It's all motivated by this extreme racism the president seems to have embedded in his dna.

Are you aware that From 2009 to 2015 The Obama Administration deported 2.5 million people ? This  is more then any other administration . 

23 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It never gets old, opining on things you are completely ignorant about, isn't it? Whether it's health care for children, the presence of Nazis in law enforcement, or the current status of higher education in this country, you might get more use out of learning about things you issue proclamations about, instead of unclenching your shithole to release one of your uninformed opinions, getting corrected on basic facts, and then self-seriously lecturing people about civility. With all due respect, of course.

Yeah your right Dante a complete waste of time here  . Silly me ,  Im done. :)

23 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Here's someone who just can't bring himself to spell out shithole in a tweet.  Must be such a nice young man.

When it comes to the David Dukes of the world and the Daily Stormer crowd, I have no inclination to be "civil". In fact, I'd argue I have a duty as a human being to be extremely uncivil to these clowns.

3 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

When it comes to the David Dukes of the world and the Daily Stormer crowd, I have no inclination to be "civil". In fact, I'd argue I have a duty as a human being to be extremely uncivil to these clowns.

Tell them to fuck off and die!

29 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Tell them to fuck off and die!

Now, now, I believe that it would be more proper to say "Get run over by a car and die!"  Since death by car seems popular with these oh so polite folks.

1 hour ago, Gorn said:

Seriously, taxpayer-funded college might not provide all conditions for a truly meritocratic society, but it is a major pre-condition. On the other hand, self-paid college with outrageously high tuition prices creates an unofficial caste system, ridiculously stacked towards the children of the rich. I hope I do not have to explain the societal benefits of one over the other.

The US does actually provide significantly subsidized education for the poor at the college level. It's possible to get at it in a few ways:

1. The very best universities (e.g. Harvard) have colossal endowments and will pay all expenses for sufficiently poor students. To stick with the same example, a Harvard undergraduate whose parents make less than $60K per year pays nothing (not even room and board) and there are discounts all the way up to incomes of $180K per year. Of course, good luck getting into one of these schools.
  2. Every state has its own universities with subsidized tuition for people from that state and some of these are very good. In recent years, the subsidies have dried up somewhat and at this level it is probably best to hunt for the various need-based and merit-based scholarships, but they are still mostly affordable.
  3. There exist community colleges which generally grant 2-year degrees (although some of them now do the full bachelor's degree). The 2-year degree isn't very useful, but they usually allow transfer of credits to the state universities.

The problem is that the US also has a variety of private universities which charge of order $50K per year and, even though they also offer subsidies, the post-subsidy price is still of order $30K per year... and it is not difficult to get a loan to attend. It is not necessarily a mistake for somebody who cannot afford it to take such a loan -- some people know exactly what they're doing, go into well paying careers (possibly after racking up even more debt in law, medical or other graduate programs) and pay all of the loans off in short order. However, there are plenty of others who simply go hoping for the best and end up with $50-100K of debt which they can't pay and can't even discharge in bankruptcy. Furthermore, there is a variety of scams masquerading as colleges. The most famous one is probably Trump University, but it is far from the biggest or the worst of them. And of course there are also accreditation-specific programs such as the commercial driver license described in the first post of this thread and these are also fully capable of ripping people off.

In short, it's a jungle out there: there are opportunities for all sort of students (even the very poor), but there are also many people looking to fleece all sorts of students (and the poor are better targets).

3 minutes ago, Altherion said:

The US does actually provide significantly subsidized education for the poor at the college level. It's possible to get at it in a few ways:

1. The very best universities (e.g. Harvard) have colossal endowments and will pay all expenses for sufficiently poor students. To stick with the same example, a Harvard undergraduate whose parents make less than $60K per year pays nothing (not even room and board) and there are discounts all the way up to incomes of $180K per year. Of course, good luck getting into one of these schools.
  2. Every state has its own universities with subsidized tuition for people from that state and some of these are very good. In recent years, the subsidies have dried up somewhat and at this level it is probably best to hunt for the various need-based and merit-based scholarships, but they are still mostly affordable.
  3. There exist community colleges which generally grant 2-year degrees (although some of them now do the full bachelor's degree). The 2-year degree isn't very useful, but they usually allow transfer of credits to the state universities.

The problem is that the US also has a variety of private universities which charge of order $50K per year and, even though they also offer subsidies, the post-subsidy price is still of order $30K per year... and it is not difficult to get a loan to attend. It is not necessarily a mistake for somebody who cannot afford it to take such a loan -- some people know exactly what they're doing, go into well paying careers (possibly after racking up even more debt in law, medical or other graduate programs) and pay all of the loans off in short order. However, there are plenty of others who simply go hoping for the best and end up with $50-100K of debt which they can't pay and can't even discharge in bankruptcy. Furthermore, there is a variety of scams masquerading as colleges. The most famous one is probably Trump University, but it is far from the biggest or the worst of them. And of course there are also accreditation-specific programs such as the commercial driver license described in the first post of this thread and these are also fully capable of ripping people off.

In short, it's a jungle out there: there are opportunities for all sort of students (even the very poor), but there are also many people looking to fleece all sorts of students (and the poor are better targets).

I read about this a few years back. The example was that Bush Sr. wants to send his son Bush Jr. to university, specifically his alma mater Yale. Bush pays the full charge for tuition with the unspoken guarantee that Jr , at a minimum gets a 'gentleman's C'. The money not used for actual expenses by Jr. then get put into a fund for scholarships for students that cannot afford to actually go to Yale. 

WHAT THE HOLY FUCK?

An emergency alert warning Hawaii residents of a ballistic missile was sent by mistake Saturday morning local time, according to the Associated Press.

The message read, “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.”

But the alert was followed by statements from Hawaii officials that there were no incoming ballistic missiles. At 1:20 p.m. ET, Hawaii’s Emergency Management Agency tweeted, “NO missile threat to Hawaii.”

An accidental emergency alert?   WTF is that?

12 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Now, now, I believe that it would be more proper to say "Get run over by a car and die!"  Since death by car seems popular with these oh so polite folks.

As Canada is a country with two recognized founding cultures, I suppose I could have called him a coq lavar instead.

5 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I read about this a few years back. The example was that Bush Sr. wants to send his son Bush Jr. to university, specifically his alma mater Yale. Bush pays the full charge for tuition with the unspoken guarantee that Jr , at a minimum gets a 'gentleman's C'. The money not used for actual expenses by Jr. then get put into a fund for scholarships for students that cannot afford to actually go to Yale. 

Now this is what I mean by civilized discourse.  This is cool.   B)

36 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

How is it that President  Obama  who deported 2.5 million who were here in the country Illegally no one raised a stink . But when Trump wanted to deport immigrants  the are here Illegally , different story. 

Plenty of lefty and especially Latin or immigrants groups pointed this out and criticized him all the time about this, but it didn't get much coverage. Democratic politicians showed much more spine standing up to him over the issue than any Republican has to Trump:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-obama-deportations-20160108-story.html

Nor did that fact prevent Republicans from painting Obama as lax on border security and "soft on illegals" (as they so charmingly put it). So what is your point?

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

Plenty of lefty and especially Latin or immigrants groups pointed this out and criticized him all the time about this, but it didn't get much coverage. Nor did that fact prevent Republicans from painting Obama as lax on border security and "soft on illegals" (as they so charmingly put it). So what is your point?

I quite agree , Obama was definitely not  lax at all on boarder all . His administration  followed law on deportation  of Illegals.  But why do you suppose it got scant coverage ?  Don't you find that the least  bit curious given the national medias penchant for reaporting everything under the sun in such minute detail? 

Archived