U.S. Politics: And a Happy "Shithole" Year

Sivin

15 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

With Graham, I think there's a high probability that the Russians have some kompromat on him.

Well I do believe, as a fine southern gentleman, the esteemed Senator from South Carolina would never imagine putting himself in the position to be compromised.  As a life-long bachelor, he could only be put in such positions by other dastardly men.

13 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Well I do believe, as a fine southern gentleman, the esteemed Senator from South Carolina would never imagine putting himself in the position to be compromised.  As a life-long bachelor, he could only be put in such positions by other dastardly men.

Hopefully, no tapes.  :ack:

I am going to predict one of the upcoming Trump tweet shitstorms.

There's an upcoming 6 part tv series on what was Spike tv and now Paramount tv  called...Waco.

The trailer looks pretty damn interesting. Wait until Trump starts after corrupt-Clinton-corrupt-Janet-Reno. And they removed all the Weinstein credits.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/waco-trailer-paramount-network-no-weinstein-tv-credit-1202208080/

Who took Russia's money in their PAC's?

Donald Trump and the political action committees for Mitch McConnell, Marco Rubio, Scott Walker, Lindsey Graham, John Kasich and John McCain accepted $7.35 million in contributions from a Ukrainian-born oligarch who is the business partner of two of Russian president Vladimir Putin's favorite oligarchs and a Russian government bank.

During the 2015-2016 election season, Ukrainian-born billionaire Leonard "Len" Blavatnik contributed $6.35 million to leading Republican candidates and incumbent senators. Mitch McConnell was the top recipient of Blavatnik's donations, collecting $2.5 million for his GOP Senate Leadership Fund under the names of two of Blavatnik's holding companies, Access Industries and AI Altep Holdings, according to Federal Election Commission documents and OpenSecrets.org.

Marco Rubio's Conservative Solutions PAC and his Florida First Project received $1.5 million through Blavatnik's two holding companies. Other high dollar recipients of funding from Blavatnik were PACS representing Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker at $1.1 million, South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham at $800,000, Ohio Governor John Kasich at $250,000 and Arizona Senator John McCain at $200,000.

That much cash would fill a lot of shitholes.

So 538 has been doing a podcast series on gerrymandering.  While I haven't really followed it, their introduction to the final in a six part series was released a few days ago.  Entitled "It's Probably Not Possible To End Gerrymandering," I think it's worth sharing as there seems to be an overestimated effect of gerrymandering among many these days, particularly around these parts.  The intro echoes my general sentiments on the subject:

As we’ve mentioned before, gerrymandering takes the blame for partisan polarization, uncompetitive elections, marginalizing minorities and rigging elections in favor of one party or the other. If you could solve those things by ending gerrymandering, why wouldn’t you?

Because it wouldn’t fix all those things. There’s little doubt gerrymandering has shaped our electoral outcomes, and current maps do benefit Republicans overall. But the conversation about ending gerrymandering frequently overlooks two important realities: 1. Gerrymandering has played a relatively small role in the growth of things like partisan polarization and uncompetitive elections, and 2. Drawing electoral maps is a game of trade-offs that will always leave groups of people unhappy.

If ending gerrymandering means creating maps that simultaneously enhance competition, don’t benefit either party, promote minority representation and keep cities, counties and communities whole, then it is impossible to end gerrymandering.

31 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Instead of Work Requirements, Why Not a Jobs Guarantee?
Paying people to work would be a more direct—and less expensive—way to lift them out of poverty.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/medicaid-work-requirements-jobs-guarantee/550301/

My personal pipe dream has long been a non-military service branch.  Requires a commitment but guaranteed work and benefits for the length of the 'tour,' plus job training.  Use it to rebuild our nation's infrastructure.

36 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is there some legal issue there if the money came from Russia via Blavatnik, or is it all completely legal?

A link with updates in the article says they are legal because Blavatnik is a US citizen.  However he appears to have strong ties to Putin.  

On 1/14/2018 at 10:48 PM, Martell Spy said:

Instead of Work Requirements, Why Not a Jobs Guarantee?
Paying people to work would be a more direct—and less expensive—way to lift them out of poverty.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/medicaid-work-requirements-jobs-guarantee/550301/

In a series of tweets announcing the policy shift, CMS Administrator Seema Verma explained the agency’s rationale that requiring eligible able-bodied adults to have jobs to qualify for Medicaid will make them healthier and less reliant on welfare in the future. “Our fundamental goal is to make a lasting and positive difference in the health and wellness of Medicaid beneficiaries,” she tweeted. She also cited a 2014 meta-analysis that concluded that “employment is beneficial for health, particularly for depression and general mental health.”

And what was that your party did again about unemployment over the last 10 years Seema? What again was it saying? Remind us all again. Let's take a walk down memory lane, and reminiscence about the clownery.

Kentucky’s—which Verma helped create when she was a health-care consultant—applies to all able-bodied non-elderly adults, and requires them to complete 80 hours per month of work, jobs training, education, or community service. 

Sounds like somebody payed Verma a whole bunch of money to spew bullshit, if I may say so in an uncivil manner.

I never learned this history class, but in 1915, President Woodrow Wilson ordered the Marines to plunder Haiti under the guise of restoring order to their political unrest. In reality, the Marines were murdering innocent people, kicking around decapitated heads and just terrorizing people in general while also trying to discourage a German invasion of American assets present in Haiti at the time. I believe after occupying the country for almost 2 decades the US and Haiti came to an agreement, a treaty which allowed the US complete and total control over Haiti's economy and defense. A pro-american puppet was elected in office as well. And they never fully recovered from what America did. 

So it's slightly ironic that the current president refers to these countries as shitholes when we're actually responsible for the condition they're in in the first place

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Republican talking heads, right now some guy named Ben Ferguson (on CNN), are saying Durbin and Graham are two well known Trump haters and obviously are lying. Cotton and Perdue did not deny Trump said those words, they said they "could not recall" him saying those words. But now that they have had the time to "check their notes" (really! :lol: ) and speak to the other people who attended the meeting, they can definitively say Trump did not use those words.

Just wait, soon the rest of the attendees will line up their stories with Cotton and Perdue.

It takes a true conservatice to prove a negative; or the specifically remember an absence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42685356

President Donald Trump has denied that he is racist, after a row broke out over his alleged use of the word "shithole" to describe African nations.

Mr Trump reportedly used the term last week during a bipartisan Oval Office meeting on immigration reform.

He has now told reporters: "I am not a racist. I'm the least racist person you have ever interviewed."

He just can't help himself can he. He could so easily have left it at the first sentence, and just been a case of "he said, she said"; but then he has go and blow his own trumpet and make a mockery of himself... again.

The mooch said the same thing about Trump last week, “the least racist”. We are dealing with 7 year olds who genuinely think adding superlatives automatically strengthens an argument. The Trump administration is the internet made flesh, fuck the facts they are the most bestest bigly, MAGA. He is a bot uploaded with the personality of 4chan.

7 hours ago, dmc515 said:

So 538 has been doing a podcast series on gerrymandering.  While I haven't really followed it, their introduction to the final in a six part series was released a few days ago.  Entitled "It's Probably Not Possible To End Gerrymandering," I think it's worth sharing as there seems to be an overestimated effect of gerrymandering among many these days, particularly around these parts.  The intro echoes my general sentiments on the subject:

Ending gerrymandering is trivial. But it will need introduction of some level of proportional representation. And I don't think the USA is ready for that.

21 minutes ago, Seli said:

Ending gerrymandering is trivial. But it will need introduction of some level of proportional representation. And I don't think the USA is ready for that.

Getting rid of single member districts in the HoR would end gerrymandering.  Proportional Rep should be part of that serious change.

Archived