Which big war would you most want a novel of?

Floki of the Ironborn

Forget the main storyline. Let’s say GRRM finishes the main books and reveals that he’s also worked on a spinoff book set during one of the big wars of Westeros. Which war would you want it to be?

For my part, I’d want a book set during the First Blackfyre Rebellion. Daemon and Bittersteel are two of the most fascinating characters that aren’t in any of the books or novellas.

11 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Forget the main storyline. Let’s say GRRM finishes the main books and reveals that he’s also worked on a spinoff book set during one of the big wars of Westeros. Which war would you want it to be?

For my part, I’d want a book set during the First Blackfyre Rebellion. Daemon and Bittersteel are two of the most fascinating characters that aren’t in any of the books or novellas.

Aegon's conquest? Like, maybe get a feel for the actual man and his sisters.

30 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

First men invasion, andal invasion or maegor's life (his life were mostly wars).

A war we've never heard of. I would love to see a book about the conflicts that occurred centuries before Aegon's Conquest, or centuries after the main series. Maybe Westeros rulling the world during a colonial era? Or living in a post-apocalyptic reality because of the second Long Night? A novel about Yi Ti or Asshai would be interesting too. 

2 hours ago, Quoth the raven, said:

I would have all I cared of war when the main story ends.  Mellisandre's childhood and training.  If it had to be about war the last great war between Valyria and Ghis.

I agree, I think it was a good move to set the Dunk novels after the major Blackfyre rebellion. There's only so much "the town was sacked, the men killed, the women raped" we need. Causes and aftermath of conflict is often more complex and interesting.

I guess a bit more on faith v early Targs could be good, because we haven't had as much of that kind of war.

16 hours ago, Lumosaca said:

A war we've never heard of. I would love to see a book about the conflicts that occurred centuries before Aegon's Conquest, or centuries after the main series. Maybe Westeros rulling the world during a colonial era? Or living in a post-apocalyptic reality because of the second Long Night? A novel about Yi Ti or Asshai would be interesting too. 

This basically

It wouldnt even have to be too far in the future; if we're assuming Westeros is currently in the middle of their version of the War of the Roses, that means pretty soon some sailor is gonna stumble on Americatos or something like that 

The Dance of Dragons without a doubt. The political and personal struggles were epic just in a dialogue, if you flesh out the characters into people it would make for a compelling tale of the events that became legend, the despair of a house losing everything and beginning it's downfall.

Archived