Bael the Bard Baelish

Sigella

14 minutes ago, PrettyPig said:

Ha!  Yes, something like that...I believe that the Bael tale itself (perhaps not exactly Ygritte's version of it, which is clearly modernized) is actually very, very old, and hints to a dark history for House Stark.      The idea that Ba'el is a demon of the underworld and also a fertility god plays perfectly into it, so your link made me very happy!

Glad it made you happy :)

I love, love, love that idea! It’s clear that the blue roses are connected somehow to the Others in this passage, but the connection to Bael the Bard as you suggest just makes so much more sense.

Here’s something else you might find interesting. I don’t know what to make of it myself. Littlefinger is a small guy from near the Neck though not from the Neck itself and he has grey-green eyes. When Tyrion offers him Harrenhal which comes with the Gods Eye, Tyrion describes LF’s eyes as cat eyes. The more obvious interpretation is that it’s tied to eyes for Cat (Sansa) but I can’t shake a CotF vibe from LF and given the (unknown) history/connection between the CotF and the Others and the Bael/Baelish thing seems to tie them together somehow.

ACOK Tyrion I

"So," Lord Petyr continued after a pause, utterly unabashed, "what's in your pot for me?"

"Harrenhal."

It was interesting to watch his face. Lord Petyr's father had been the smallest of small lords, his grandfather a landless hedge knight; by birth, he held no more than a few stony acres on the windswept shore of the Fingers. Harrenhal was one of the richest plums in the Seven Kingdoms, its lands broad and rich and fertile, its great castle as formidable as any in the realm . . . and so large as to dwarf Riverrun, where Petyr Baelish had been fostered by House Tully, only to be brusquely expelled when he dared raise his sights to Lord Hoster's daughter.

Littlefinger took a moment to adjust the drape of his cape, but Tyrion had seen the flash of hunger in those sly cat's eyes. I have him, he knew. "Harrenhal is cursed," Lord Petyr said after a moment, trying to sound bored.

ADWD Bran II

That was not Arya's voice, nor any child's. It was a woman's voice, high and sweet, with a strange music in it like none that he had ever heard and a sadness that he thought might break his heart. Bran squinted, to see her better. It was a girl, but smaller than Arya, her skin dappled like a doe's beneath a cloak of leaves. Her eyes were queer—large and liquid, gold and green, slitted like a cat's eyes. No one has eyes like that. Her hair was a tangle of brown and red and gold, autumn colors, with vines and twigs and withered flowers woven through it.

9 hours ago, Sigella said:

Ok. I have no clue about this Preston Jacobs-person and I couldnt find a thread on it so... 

He is on youtube, right?

You don't know PJ!  He's one of the best commenters in youtube.  You are in for a treat.  I don't agree with all of his theories but he has a lot of good ones.  Head over there and enjoy yourself.

17 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I can’t shake a CotF vibe from LF and given the (unknown) history/connection between the CotF and the Others and the Bael/Baelish thing seems to tie them together somehow.

Funny you should say that... in the Bael tale, we're told that Bael the Deceiver impersonated a "singer" in order to gain access to Winterfell.   Well, in my reimagined interpretation of the legend (which I hope to repost here on this forum after some tweaking), I place this tale as occurring thousands of years ago, like during the Age of Heroes - at a time when the CoTF were still plentiful and interacting with men.   I believe that the "singer" Bael may have impersonated, a singer welcomed at Winterfell, was a CotF.

Apply this to Petyr "Bael"ish, acting as a friend to House Stark, but of course is not who/what he claims to be and who later spectacularly betrays them all (ending up with a Stark maiden in his clutches to boot).      In addition, per the Bael legend, Bael took his journey to Winterfell in the first place to get revenge on the Lord Stark, who thought him weak and called him craven.     Lots of places in the current story where this could go with regard to Littlefinger!

39 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

@PrettyPig

Oh, and something else...

This is from something I noticed in the TWOW Alyane preview chapter, so spoilers.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/127485-twow-spoilers-alayne-i-v-3/&do=findComment&comment=7895665

OMG, get out of my head.  lol    I have just started gathering data on a darkness/underground motif that runs through the whole series.  This is great!

2 hours ago, PrettyPig said:

OMG, get out of my head.  lol    I have just started gathering data on a darkness/underground motif that runs through the whole series.  This is great!

I'm dying to read your findings on this! All speed!

On 14/01/2018 at 5:12 PM, Sigella said:

... On the "cuckold baby": Sweetrobin do come to mind, although I'm having doubts as to wether LF would stay his sword on the kid he is already poisoning?

But! Sansa is LF own "cuckold baby" by the Alayne-lie, isn't she? She is actually the only character LF seems to have any real interest in, maybe even to the extent that he'd refuse to kill her..?

You've got me thinking now!

Of course Sweetrobin would be a great fit here. I don't know if he's LF's son, but then LF doesn't know either - I bet Lysa was saying the baby was his.

Alayne too, that's a good point, I don't think he could just let her die. There might be room for a little redemption arc for Petyr - maybe for Sansa's sake, maybe for Cat. He's still going to get his head cut off though: he had that description of a 'red smile', and no-one survives that.

But I can't stop wondering if an actual baby is possible after all. I don't like the idea (for the obvious reasons), but it sort of chimes with a pet theory of mine that Lollys is a sister character to Sansa - their lives parallel each other in some ways, and that may continue. I liked the idea because Lollys seems to get a shot at a happyish ending (I do hope so!), but I was assuming Sansa had escaped the threat of rape and unwanted pregnancy. Now I'm not so sure. Well, parallels are like prophecies, you can never really trust them...

19 hours ago, Springwatch said:

You've got me thinking now!

Of course Sweetrobin would be a great fit here. I don't know if he's LF's son, but then LF doesn't know either - I bet Lysa was saying the baby was his.

Alayne too, that's a good point, I don't think he could just let her die. There might be room for a little redemption arc for Petyr - maybe for Sansa's sake, maybe for Cat. He's still going to get his head cut off though: he had that description of a 'red smile', and no-one survives that.

But I can't stop wondering if an actual baby is possible after all. I don't like the idea (for the obvious reasons), but it sort of chimes with a pet theory of mine that Lollys is a sister character to Sansa - their lives parallel each other in some ways, and that may continue. I liked the idea because Lollys seems to get a shot at a happyish ending (I do hope so!), but I was assuming Sansa had escaped the threat of rape and unwanted pregnancy. Now I'm not so sure. Well, parallels are like prophecies, you can never really trust them...

Me thinks that Sansa works better. But at the same time - Sansa isnt "his" cuckold baby whereas Sweetrobin might be... (Alayne is technically Ned's) But hey, GRRM is prone to the extra-twists so maybe?

I've been hoping for Robin to get his wish and make "the little man fly" ever since Game but winter spit in that soup, unfourtunately. 

I wouldn't put it past Pervy Petyr to try and give Sansa and Harry a cuckold babe. Only maybe that it would be a bit to reckless? Sansa is neither slutty nor immoral and since she's still reluctant to even kiss him, in spite of his best efforts to groom her, I'm having difficulty to see how he would go about it.

If he pisses her off she could just tell anyone about Lysa and he'd be utterly screwed.

Archived