AcroPHILIA #19: EXTREME Edition - R3

Dolorous Gabe

21 hours ago, Castellan said:

I feel extremely unwholesome and doomed by bad diet.

Bad diets are more fun though :D

Three more days to come up with spellbinding clues. If y'all come up with your final piece quicker we could start it earlier.

I must admit I am excited to see how this goes.

12 hours ago, She Who Must Be Obeyed said:

DG, to confirm one set of guesses per team?

Yes please. I think if we're going to play in pairs you have to agree on your answers.

I realise that could cause some issues, potentially. Here's hoping it doesn't.

9 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I admit that having a teammate means I'm pretty much all-in here.

RELEASE THE CLUES ALREADY!

I'm enjoying the commitment and teamwork you are already showcasing :cheers:

I'm just lacking one clue now.

11 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I admit that having a teammate means I'm pretty much all-in here.

RELEASE THE CLUES ALREADY!

He is, too. It is a pity the rest of you cannot be as timely as Ser and I!

ROUND ONE CLUES

In this round you receive nine clues, split into threes. Each individual clue offers 2 points for the correct character. Each set of three answers presents a clue to a mini-theme, or a link, the correct answer to which offers 3 points each. The three mini-theme answers presents a clue to something else from ASOIAF, the answer to which offers 5 points.

Bear in mind that the nine characters altogether do not share a link. This is why they are split up. The overall theme is derived from the three links. It's worth noting that the characters often fit the mini-themes in different ways, some more tenuously than others. Working out the links may seem more like a puzzle.

There may be some tricky characters in this round, two of whom have only been spoken of or thought about in ASOIAF.

Edited to add: I believe that once you work out one of the links, the others will become quite clear. You will know then what you are looking for.

1a) Eerily red-rimmed alabaster teeth. Conspirator.

1b) Exhausted rasher ratios aggravate the child.

1c) Paranoia governs the greedy royal tart's fiery nonconformity.

Link 1 – ???

2a) Penis grande, torn grin, rachis tenderized fucking. North.

2b) Enigmatic red rapier annealer's thrust cremates.

2c) Pretty great trainer. Grabbed rancorous twit for notching.

Link 2 – ???

3a) Preceding Great turmoil, grown rapscallion terminated; frozen nearby.

3b) “Pygmy grumkin?”

“Tenor's growing, resounding through fortresses northern.”

3c) Everyone requests readings and then - “croaks”

Link 3 – ???

Overall theme derived from the three links – ???

You can have one yes/no question answered per round. You must agree with your partner about what that question should be.

You can have one set of prelim answers for the clues and one set for the mini-themes. However, I will not be taking prelim guesses at the overall theme of the round.

The deadline will be provisionally set to Friday February 2nd at 11:59pm UK time (GMT)

Enjoy!

Just added something to the post but I'll put it here too because I can see how it might seem very daunting at this stage.

I am quite sure that once you work out one of the links, the other two will become easier because you will know then what sort of thing you are looking for.

Again, some of the characters fit the links in a much more obvious way than some others do.

4 hours ago, Jez Bell said:

I feel like there may have been a time when I liked some of you.

I felt the same when I first looked at the clues. But now I think that some of them may actually be in English after all. 

2 hours ago, Julia H. said:

I felt the same when I first looked at the clues. But now I think that some of them may actually be in English after all. 

Its the usual combination of a couple I get straight away, a few I think look highly solvable and after several hours searching I discover are not, and some that do not look solvable at all. I am going to go and vacuum the house its become an appealing activity.

16 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

To the extent I've ever tried before, I find that clues start out as the equivalent of playing charades with a human torso ... and then over time it grows arms and legs.

What crazy kind of Christmas parties do you have? :huh:

A word for all: the characters in each set are linked in a way that is fairly different from other games of Acrophilia. However, each set of three characters is linked in the same way as the other two sets. In other words you're looking for the same kind of thing in each set.

Also, in each set there is at least one answer that is linked in a much more obvious way.

It might not make complete sense until you recognise the answer to what links the three links to form the overall theme.

EDITED TO ADD: Bear in mind that the three mini-theme answers together is a kind of a clue in itself to the overall theme and the overall theme can only be derived from those three things. The characters are at most only peripherally linked to the overall theme. It's more like an ASOIAF-themed puzzle in a way, although the overall theme is related to ASOIAF.

1 hour ago, a free shadow said:

If it can be answered: does the clue 3b refer to the annealer or to the cremated one? :ninja: 

The enigmatic annealer is the subject

Edited to ask: I presume that's 2b?

Others have been mixing clues up in asking questions.

Should clues each have their own letter? So it would instead be 1a, 1b, 1c, 2d, 2e, 2f, 3g, 3h, 3i ???

Archived