AcroPHILIA #19: EXTREME Edition - R3

Dolorous Gabe

Some possibly mildly useful words.

You will only get the overall theme with the three mini-themes, because the overall theme is more like a link between the three mini-themes. That's why I called it "Overall Link" under the list of clues.

And some research will be necessary.

I had a dream where this Dothraki warlord was coming at me at full speed.  As he drew closer, I realized that he was not riding a horse, but a kraken. 

As he raised his arakh in the air, he whispered his name... Khal Amari.

Happy Friday, everyone.

Alright, it's probably time for a little assistance.

Mini-theme 3 is arguably the hardest to get, not just because its set houses the hardest clue. Find a similar type of link between the characters in sets 1 and 2 and then research similar ideas for set 3.

You will certainly need all three mini-themes to research the "overall link"

Now, clue 3a uses the term "off topic" in an unusual way. If you were thinking Benjen (as I think you all did) is a plausible answer, he is but he fits the clue using an interpretation of "off topic" not meant by the author. You need to see the "topic" from a perspective within the books not belonging to the subject.

On 11/03/2018 at 0:46 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

Now, clue 3a uses the term "off topic" in an unusual way. If you were thinking Benjen (as I think you all did) is a plausible answer, he is but he fits the clue using an interpretation of "off topic" not meant by the author. You need to see the "topic" from a perspective within the books not belonging to the subject.

In addition, Coldhands would also be the unintended interpretation.

Think of the topic as something some major characters expect but then are surprised by what transpires (which makes it off-topic).

10 hours ago, a free shadow said:

why not just state the answer now, it is given in everything but appearances :frown5:

Only given to you, not to us.

But I am happy to fail to get it, I cannot get any themes anyway, so one clue will not make much difference.

10 hours ago, a free shadow said:

why not just state the answer now, it is given in everything but appearances :frown5:

I started writing a list of surprising stuff and could not stop except by boredom.

1 hour ago, Castellan said:

I started writing a list of surprising stuff and could not stop except by boredom.

Did you try administering small electric shocks?  I find it makes everything more surprising.

2 hours ago, Jez Bell said:

Did you try administering small electric shocks?  I find it makes everything more surprising.

Just getting through the day is surprising right now. I wonder if shocks would restore my brain and enable focus. Granted it would probably only focus on stopping the shocks.

Just over an hour into the last 24 hours. Is anybody going to solve the whole thing?

Points are available to win the game with.

One last piece of help. No other characters would fit into mini-theme 1. I really thought that one would be easy, which would help the rest follow.

24 hour extension granted as nobody has yet found the overall link. It could be near midnight tomorrow when I get round to it so you have around 25 hours.

Also, I won't be available for the last 5-6 hours of it.

Archived