What is it with questionable paternity and Robert's Rebellion?

Angel Eyes

2 hours ago, Dimmu Borgir said:

In an all-out war like this, wouldn't there lots of rape going on - i.e. questionable paternities? Seriously though, I agree, it's getting out of hand. However, I thought that Aegon being a fake (at least not Rhaegar and Elia's son) was pretty much agreed upon? I'm no theorist myself, but that's the impression that I got from this forum.

There are a lot of folks who think he is the real deal--folks whose opinions I value, even if I disagree with their conclusion on this issue. 

On ‎17‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 5:41 AM, Angel Eyes said:

It seems odd to me that there are so many theories surrounding the children born during Robert's Rebellion and its aftermath. Jon Snow is the most notable example, with his mother unknown, alongside (R+L=J), but Daenerys' past is also questioned (no lemon trees in Braavos). Aegon son of Elia/Young Griff is suggested as not being the real deal. There's even a theory that Robb is Brandon's son.

Danaerys and lemon trees are an oversight on GRRM's (or editors, whatever) part. Just a few weeks ago an old thread has been brought up that explained it.

Robb is Ned's son. We even get confirmation of it from Catelyn herself in her private thoughts. As if it needed any confirmation.

Besides, it is war time and people move around a lot. It's not like they had pregnancy tests back then to confirm pregnancies in a short time and "moon's blood" method is unreliable. Think of Ned, he leaves catelyn two weeks after their marriage. And I don't think after their first night they were at their best trying to get heirs with a war to plan. Catelyn's thoughts also seem to confirm this.

11 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Danaerys and lemon trees are an oversight on GRRM's (or editors, whatever) part. Just a few weeks ago an old thread has been brought up that explained it.

Robb is Ned's son. We even get confirmation of it from Catelyn herself in her private thoughts. As if it needed any confirmation.

Besides, it is war time and people move around a lot. It's not like they had pregnancy tests back then to confirm pregnancies in a short time and "moon's blood" method is unreliable. Think of Ned, he leaves catelyn two weeks after their marriage. And I don't think after their first night they were at their best trying to get heirs with a war to plan. Catelyn's thoughts also seem to confirm this.

I am a firm believer that Daenerys is who Daenerys believes she is, and I started a thread similar to the one you describe, but in defense of the ilemonati, the way the George has presented citrus fruit and Braavos deep into the books--Storm, Feast, and now in Mercy--does give rise to to reasonable suspicion. So, I don't think we can say it's an oversight. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/01/2018 at 11:28 PM, Dorian Martell's son said:

There is really only one parental mystery and that is Jon Snow. (f)Aegon really doesn't matter that much as a 5th book addition, although he will play a role. Literally everything else, Dany, Benjen, Robb :rofl: and whoever the nerds will focus on next are only there because the author cannot write in a timely manner. When it takes you two decades to get halfway through a series, and you take well over half a decade to deliver books, people start digging for anything. Things that are simple and mean nothing can take on a whole new mystery meaning on your 789th reread 

I wish there was a like button on this site.

Archived