NFL 2017 Championship: The Whiff Six

Jace, Extat

Just now, Maithanet said:

I was personally surprised that there were only two Saints around to make the play.  There were only two real danger areas of the field: the sideline ~25-30 yards down the field.  Why wasn't there any backup for Williams if he misses the tackle? 

This SB Nation article indicates that there were two Vikings essentially covering the middle of the field (for no good reason).

The article also highlights that Diggs was pretty close to going down even without contact.  He had to contort himself to catch it, and was off balance on the landing.  Even a crappy tackle attempt would have done it. 

Or contact could have arrested his momentum. Don't think I'm being silly either, we see it all the time when it looks like a DB is going to lay out a guy but they end up just bouncing off of each other.

Regarding the scheme, isn't that hack who was the Broncos Defensive coordinator when Tim Tebow personally carried the entire franchise to the promised land on the strength of his god given anti-abortion message slumming it in NO now?

So Tom Brady was injured in practice on Wedneday an DNP in practice on Thursday.  Injury was to his throwing hand.  I did not comment on this because I was n th middle of a three-day trial.  Brady has ony been seen n public with gloves on and a splint can be seen over his right thumb.

Today Brady had a pess conferece.  When asked about his hand he said he wasn't  going to talk about it.

I would like to be the first to congradulate the 2017 AFC Champion Jacksonville Jaguars.

But, hey least the Pat didn't trade fantastic starter-caliber QB at the trade deadline for a second rounder or anything....

2 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

So Tom Brady was injured in practice on Wedneday an DNP in practice on Thursday.  Injury was to his throwing hand.  I did not comment on this because I was n th middle of a three-day trial.  Brady has ony been seen n public with gloves on and a splint can be seen over his right thumb.

Today Brady had a pess conferece.  When asked about his hand he said he wasn't  going to talk about it.

I would like to be the first to congradulate the 2017 AFC Champion Jacksonville Jaguars.

But, hey least the Pat didn't trade fantastic starter-caliber QB at the trade deadline for a second rounder or anything....

Per -rw

Tom Brady (hand) returned to practice Friday.

This has only been a story because there are four teams left in the playoffs, so we have to talk about something. Everything is magnified this time of year. Brady will be fine for the AFC Championship game against the Jaguars.

*fingers crossed*

9 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

6 minutes ago, Week said:

Per -rw

*fingers crossed*

He's played in AFC Championships with fucked up fingers before, Jace isn't worried that he won't be able to go. And I hope he can play, a Jags victory isn't an achievement over Brian Hoyer.

That being said, I would still give Brian Hoyer and Bill Belichick the edge over a coach who doesn't like to watch the teams that make it to the top of the mountain.

12 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

He's played in AFC Championships with fucked up fingers before, Jace isn't worried that he won't be able to go. And I hope he can play, a Jags victory isn't an achievement over Brian Hoyer.

That being said, I would still give Brian Hoyer and Bill Belichick the edge over a coach who doesn't like to watch the teams that make it to the top of the mountain.

the only saving grace in this is that Brady was smiling through the entire press conference.

I am far more nervous now than Iwas when the injry was first reported.

Bortles as a SB starting QB will be intereting.

9 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Jace is wrong. Jace should favor the Jaguars, even with a healthy Brady. Jace should know they have the perfect defense to defeat Brady. And to quote Mina Kimes, “Belichick has no strategic advantage in this game because the Jaguars offense is so incredibly dumb.”

Also, these know nothing bandwagon fans around me need to keep their mouths shut! People who’ve watched 5 Vikings games in their lives keep yelling SKOL!

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, these know nothing bandwagon fans around me need to keep their mouths shut! People who’ve watched 5 Vikings games in their lives keep yelling SKOL!

Seriously.  It's super annoying.

On the other side of things, my grandfather became a fan in the 70's and has never seen the Vikings in a SB, but has been let down A LOT over the years.  He hasn't been optimistic this entire season and I think is expecting to be let down again, just so he is emotionally ready. 

Everyone thought we had a perfect team in '98 and '09, this year seems to be much more reserved.  It's a weird vibe.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Heh...yeah.  And all the while they're thinking to themselves "What is it with these Vikings fans and fine cut, wintergreen-flavored chewing tobacco?!  Oh, what the hell...SKOL!!!":P

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jace is wrong. Jace should favor the Jaguars, even with a healthy Brady. Jace should know they have the perfect defense to defeat Brady. And to quote Mina Kimes, “Belichick has no strategic advantage in this game because the Jaguars offense is so incredibly dumb.”

Impressive, every word you just said was wrong. :P

The defense has an honest chance make no mistake, but there is no 'perfect' defense against Brady and McDaniels/Belichick. The Jags have shown they can be taken advantage of on the ground, and I will not be the least bit surprised if Tom Brady does not attempt a forward pass in an 11-10 Pats victory (safety and 3 FG's)

55 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Seriously.  It's super annoying.

On the other side of things, my grandfather became a fan in the 70's and has never seen the Vikings in a SB, but has been let down A LOT over the years.  He hasn't been optimistic this entire season and I think is expecting to be let down again, just so he is emotionally ready. 

Everyone thought we had a perfect team in '98 and '09, this year seems to be much more reserved.  It's a weird vibe.

I got you beat. My grandfather turned 97 last month, and he went to all four Super Bowl loses and the 1998 NFC Championship game. I want the team to win more for him than for me.

52 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Heh...yeah.  And all the while they're thinking to themselves "What is it with these Vikings fans and fine cut, wintergreen-flavored chewing tobacco?!  Oh, what the hell...SKOL!!!":P

:spank:

43 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Impressive, every word you just said was wrong. :P

The defense has an honest chance make no mistake, but there is no 'perfect' defense against Brady and McDaniels/Belichick. The Jags have shown they can be taken advantage of on the ground, and I will not be the least bit surprised if Tom Brady does not attempt a forward pass in an 11-10 Pats victory (safety and 3 FG's)

Normally I’d say title bet time, but you haven’t fulfilled your last title bet loss.

And yeah, the Jags’ D is perfectly designed to take down the Pats. They can rush with four, aka Bray’s kryptonite, and they have two shutdown DBs and LBs that can hang with Gronk.

31 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I was personally surprised that there were only two Saints around to make the play.  There were only two real danger areas of the field: the sideline ~25-30 yards down the field.  Why wasn't there any backup for Williams if he misses the tackle? 

This SB Nation article indicates that there were two Vikings essentially covering the middle of the field (for no good reason).

That is what it looked like at the snap! Couldn't figure out where the linebackers went. If it's primarily just hanging out in the center of the field because of the dictates of some nonsensical zone, which is what it appears, that's insane. Payton says they were covering the sidelines but that's not what they did fully. 

Also surprised they'd go with 2 LBs in a nickel formation on a "no other possibility but a deep pass" play. Put 7 DBs out there FFS. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I got you beat. My grandfather turned 97 last month, and he went to all four Super Bowl loses and the 1998 NFC Championship game. I want the team to win more for him than for me.

Yes, that'd be really cool.  I was at that 1998 NFC Championship game as well:(  I'm pulling for the Vikes.  While I'm not really a Vikings fan per se...I married one.  As you say, I think it'd be a nice story for them to finally bring home a Lombardi. 

:spank:

What?!:dunno:  Another thought...you can always ply these Vikings bandwagoners with tales of how "Skol!" actually harkens back to the days when Vikings drank the blood of their enemies from their skulls and pulled the vanquished's shuddering lungs through their rib cages and called it the "Blood Eagle";)   

And yeah, the Jags’ D is perfectly designed to take down the Pats. They can rush with four, aka Bray’s kryptonite, and they have two shutdown DBs and LBs that can hang with Gronk.

Yep.  The blueprint is definitely there (hell, the Dolphins demonstrated it just this year).  Of course, following it is a lot easier said than done.  With the jags' defense, however, I don't think this will be quite the same as hosting the Titans was...  

13 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

That is what it looked like at the snap! Couldn't figure out where the linebackers went. If it's primarily just hanging out in the center of the field because of the dictates of some nonsensical zone, which is what it appears, that's insane. Payton says they were covering the sidelines but that's not what they did fully. 

Also surprised they'd go with 2 LBs in a nickel formation on a "no other possibility but a deep pass" play. Put 7 DBs out there FFS. 

JAce heard at some point that Payton was concerned with a Tyreek Hill kind of situation.

But anyway, the game was being replayed on the NFL channel and the play just happened. I saw it from the TV angle behind the endzone again and Williams actually patters his feet when the ball is coming.

Right when he lowers his head he does a little happy feet because he was timing the ball's arrival. I think now that that's what happened. He was coming in for the hit, made his judgement, but threw off his aim when he had to stutter right before contact. And he would have been flagged for PI if he hadn't made that decision, no bones about it.

2 hours ago, Rockroi said:

the only saving grace in this is that Brady was smiling through the entire press conference.

I am far more nervous now than Iwas when the injry was first reported.

Bortles as a SB starting QB will be intereting.

Word is that it's a cut, four stitches to close it up. I think that's less worrying than some kind of strain or hyperextension... Or did that happen too?

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

JAce heard at some point that Payton was concerned with a Tyreek Hill kind of situation.

Football coaches are always fighting the last war. Except Mike Mularkey who is stuck on the War of 1812. 

11 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Football coaches are always fighting the last war. Except Mike Mularkey who is stuck on the War of 1812. 

HA!

Oh, and smelly Ty Ty. @Tywin et al.

The Jaguars defense may not be worthy of your vast confidence. Over half of their sacks on the year came in 4 games with the Colts and Texans, and that secondary got torched last year. week

I think they have a fair shot, and if the defensive scheme wasn't so milquetoast I would be tempted to call it a slightly weighted coin flip. But the fact of the matter is that Barry Church is going to be running after Danny Amendola all night. And that great chess piece Jaylon Ramsay can't quite cover Gronk and Cooks at the same time. Ramsay is the only player who's big enough to stick with Gronk and talented enough not to get abused by Cooks.

And god forbid the Jags ask Barry to cover a deep third when he's isolated with 14, even Pats fans don't want to see that shit.

2 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Yes, that'd be really cool.  I was at that 1998 NFC Championship game as well:(  I'm pulling for the Vikes.  While I'm not really a Vikings fan per se...I married one.  As you say, I think it'd be a nice story for them to finally bring home a Lombardi.  

Yep.  The blueprint is definitely there (hell, the Dolphins demonstrated it just this year).  Of course, following it is a lot easier said than done.  With the jags' defense, however, I don't think this will be quite the same as hosting the Titans was...  

Wise choices were made.

What?!:dunno:  Another thought...you can always ply these Vikings bandwagoners with tales of how "Skol!" actually harkens back to the days when Vikings drank the blood of their enemies from their skulls and pulled the vanquished's shuddering lungs through their rib cages and called it the "Blood Eagle";) 

It was a joke. And I had never heard of that. Jesus! 

Honestly, before the game could you have named three Titans defenders? Or 8 players on their entire team? 

32 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Oh, and smelly Ty Ty. @Tywin et al.

We've already established that you're the smelly one, Jace.

And I noticed you dodged your lack of title change for losing the bet in the politics thread......

The Jaguars defense may not be worthy of your vast confidence. Over half of their sacks on the year came in 4 games with the Colts and Texans, and that secondary got torched last year. week

EH, I chalk that up to the Steelers offense getting lucky on some crazy plays. That game could have easily been 45-14.

I think they have a fair shot, and if the defensive scheme wasn't so milquetoast I would be tempted to call it a slightly weighted coin flip. But the fact of the matter is that Barry Church is going to be running after Danny Amendola all night. And that great chess piece Jaylon Ramsay can't quite cover Gronk and Cooks at the same time. Ramsay is the only player who's big enough to stick with Gronk and talented enough not to get abused by Cooks.

And god forbid the Jags ask Barry to cover a deep third when he's isolated with 14, even Pats fans don't want to see that shit.

Jack might be able to cover Gronk. Anyways, they've got the formula to beat the Pats. A great line that can get pressure (not sacks) without blitzing, fast, athletic LBs and elite DBs.

I feel confident that they'll win, 23-20.

And if I'm right I'll be writing your biography. So far the working title is: 

Roaring, Relentless, Raging and Righteous: Inside Jace's Rants From Rooftops

Archived