NFL 2017 Championship: The Whiff Six

Jace, Extat

9 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Word is that it's a cut, four stitches to close it up. I think that's less worrying than some kind of strain or hyperextension... Or did that happen too?

We are hearing the same stories, I think.  

Word was that Brady hit his hand on a RB's helmet- one of the screws was what did it.  Four stitches.  

Another report was that people inside today's practice saw Brady throwing and he was throwing well.  

Yet another source has stated that Brady is "fine."  

We will not know until Brady has been hanging with the Jags for at least a quarter then I will either relax or pray Brian Hoyer has been faking it for the last 6 seasons.  

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wise choices were made.

It was a joke. And I had never heard of that. Jesus! 

Honestly, before the game could you have named three Titans defenders? Or 8 players on their entire team? 

The blood eagle is actually probably a bit worse than that, if possible. Accounts vary, but the most commonly recorded version goes like this (spoiler for the squeamish)

Victim is either tied or held face down on the ground. Back is sliced up, then spine/ribs are cut open along it’s length, and the ribs pulled out spread to each side, to form support for the lungs. Which are then pulled out and spread on the upright ribs to either side, resembling bloody wings. And ideally the victim is kept awake/alive for all this so that the wings/lungs pulse for a while with his breathing, until he dies.

What a species we humans are.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

So I saw a poorly written article that said the NFL determined the Gruden hiring didnt violate the Rooney rule but it didn't say how they met the requirements.  Anyone have more info?

They probably did what the Browns did before they hired Dorsey and quietly interviewed one other candidate to meet the requirements of the rule.  That's also why I think the rule is stupid, even if I understand why it exists.  Most of the time, teams just interview a guy they have zero intention of hiring to check that box.  I also think it's a little insulting during each year's coaching search how teams seem to collectively choose a Rooney rule guy that they all interview.

27 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

The blood eagle is actually probably a bit worse than that, if possible. Accounts vary, but the most commonly recorded version goes like this (spoiler for the squeamish)

Hide contents

Victim is either tied or held face down on the ground. Back is sliced up, then spine/ribs are cut open along it’s length, and the ribs pulled out spread to each side, to form support for the lungs. Which are then pulled out and spread on the upright ribs to either side, resembling bloody wings. And ideally the victim is kept awake/alive for all this so that the wings/lungs pulse for a while with his breathing, until he dies.

Yep, and what a scene that was in Vikings!

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

So I saw a poorly written article that said the NFL determined the Gruden hiring didnt violate the Rooney rule but it didn't say how they met the requirements.  Anyone have more info?

1 hour ago, briantw said:

They probably did what the Browns did before they hired Dorsey and quietly interviewed one other candidate to meet the requirements of the rule.  That's also why I think the rule is stupid, even if I understand why it exists.  Most of the time, teams just interview a guy they have zero intention of hiring to check that box.  I also think it's a little insulting during each year's coaching search how teams seem to collectively choose a Rooney rule guy that they all interview.

Oh the league has totally abandoned even pretending to enforce the rule at this point. 

The Raiders had a deal with Gruden before they fires Del Rio, then paraded two no name minority guys through the building as the ink was drying. 

The league just tucked their dick between their legs and clucked.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Eh, haven’t seen that yet, I don’t think. What season?

Season 2 bro. Happens a little bit different than described above but you will know when you see it. 

4 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Just reiterating what Jace said:

Supposedly, either Gruden or Del Rio let it slip to a third-party that Gruden was the next head coach while Del Rio was still the coach.  After Del Rio was fired, but before Gruden was hired, two minority candidates were interviewed and it seemed like they had no chance of being hired.  

The cons of the Rooney Rule is that its so easily circumvented- ie: here.  When Dungee retired he became one of the first head coaches to name his successor which made it so the Colts did not HAVE to interview minority candidates because his successor - Jim Caldwell - WAS a minority,  But what about when ANOTHER coach wants to do that?  

But there are significant Pros to the Rooney Rule.  Best example?  Mike Tomlin.  Tomlin was an after-thought for the Steelers who were set on Mike Tice (IIRC).  But when Tomlin interviewed they were blown away and ended up hiring Tomlin.  

There is one OTHER benefit nobody talks about, namely, that the Rooney Rule gives minority candidates the EXPERIENCE of interviewing for the head-coaching position.  Mike Singletary was a Rooney-Rule interviewee for, IIRC, the Seahawks job.  But the Seahawks were all set on Pete Carroll.  But Singletary said that the experience of interviewing and getting to know that process was invaluable to him when he eventually landed the SF HC job two seasons later (though he was fucking terrible at it).  

Currently, there are six black head coaches in the NFL Vance Joseph Tomlin, Steelers, Marvin Lewis, Anthony Lynn, Hue Jackson, and Todd Bowles.  If the Rooney Rule helped get just ONE of them hired, I think its doing its job and should be kept so long as its followed. 

Unless that one was Vance Joseph, because he blows.  

Latest on Brady Injury: Another report claims that Brady hurt his thumb VERY badly Wednesday- that the thumb bent backwards so badly that it broke the skin and THAT was what required 4 stitches.  But there were X Rays and they came back negative.  Supposedly the pain is still so bad that Brady is going to get a shot before the game, which will be great because its not like he needs to have feeling inhis hand to grip the ball or anything... 

Obviously we're dealing with small sample sizes, but I think the Rooney rule has been helpful in getting more diversity among NFL coaches. Looking across the four major North American sports, only the NBA has more black head coaches (And not by a wide margin anymore, there were 14 in 2012 and I believe it's down to 8 now). And the NBA has a much stronger tradition than the NFL of hiring former players as coaches, so they're dealing with a much more diverse talent pool to begin with.

If anything it's the NBA that should be doing a better job. The NFL player base is majority-black, but for the most part retired players aren't the ones competing for the head coaching jobs. 

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I suspect that Brady will be fine, but it would be kind of hilarious if they lost at this stage only because of Brady's injury because they could clearly win the Super Bowl with Jimmy G this year both with the team New England has plus the opponents remaining.

Question:  Was Gronk hurt the year that New England beat Seattle?  That is to ask:  has Gronk been on the field for a Pats Super Bowl win before?  

Gronk was there against the Seahawks, but he was out against Atlanta.

9 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Hide contents

Heh, yeah, I was just trying to be brief in my description.  I'm not quite as sure about whether the Blood Eagle was actually a thing but the whole thing about Vikings loppin' off the tops of enemies' heads and drinking blood from them is almost assuredly not true.  Most agree it's likely due to a mistranslation of an ancient text. 

Anyway...SKOL!!!:P

13 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Word was that Brady hit his hand on a RB's helmet- one of the screws was what did it.  Four stitches.  

Another report was that people inside today's practice saw Brady throwing and he was throwing well.  

Yet another source has stated that Brady is "fine."  

Four stitches seems like quite a lot if they’re in his thumb, I’d be surprised/impressed if that wouldn’t have a negative impact on his accuracy. If it’s just in his hand I’m sure he’d be fine.

14 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Latest on Brady Injury: Another report claims that Brady hurt his thumb VERY badly Wednesday- that the thumb bent backwards so badly that it broke the skin and THAT was what required 4 stitches.  But there were X Rays and they came back negative.  Supposedly the pain is still so bad that Brady is going to get a shot before the game, which will be great because its not like he needs to have feeling inhis hand to grip the ball or anything... 

You know if he is having trouble gripping the ball they could always take a little air out of them so they are softer and easier to hold....

Sorry, somebody had to do it and since I think that whole thing was BS I figured why not me!

I'm taking the Vikes and the Pats.

Ideally either the Jags win so that I get McDaniels sworn in as the POTIC with Brady seeming unfazed by his hand or after a few throws and some contact Hoyer goes in early and the Pats still steamroll the fuck out of the Jags so that I get to see Doug Marrone's brain melt out of his ears.

ETA: Apparently Theilen's injury is fractures in his back. Pretty good news, actually, as it's just going to hurt like fuck in between plays but shouldn't actually affect his ability to do anything unlike a common joint or soft tissue injury where the body might not be able to function no matter how hard the player wants it to.

Archived