U.S. Politics: Girthers Vs. Anti-Girthers

Martell Spy

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Four or five rounds of freedom costs the same as this grapefruit IPA I’ve been on lately. When do I get IPA freedom? When will the Eurocommiefication of IPAs be put to a stop for good?

You're kind of confusing me with the "four or five rounds of freedom" on the cost, but if one good IPA only costs a buck o' five, quit yer whining.

6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

I'm obviously very pessimistic, but I'm trying to maintain a little optimism. I've watched my vote not count for anything despite being surrounded by fellow Democrats, and not all of them old. Of course, I live in a municipality that has all of 1,000 residents that borders Beaver County to the north and surrounded by a lot of very wealthy communities. I used to live in one of them, and it was the same there. (Note: Keith Rothfus is the biggest dork you will ever meet. LOL)

I'm in the 14th district (Doyle Rules!), but I drink and watch sports (and could walk to) Monroeville, which inexplicably is in the 18th.  I really do think Lamb has a chance, and if not...

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It won't, but if Lamb loses the special election narrowly, he might get another shot at it in November, but this time with a more favorable map. 

...yeah.

6 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

There was always the pro business corporate wing of the Republican Party. These people, were likely more moderate on social issues than the base, like for instance see Edward Conard's comments, which were essentially, "well it looks all the anti-abortion people are dying out. Guess we'll have to find new allies, to keep the profits high." But, they were always willing to footsie with the white nationalist and social conservative crowd, to get their way. I guess they thought they could control them, and then Trump happened and they lost control. I don't think they will be able to re assert the control they usually had. And now the Republican Party will likely go full blown white nationalist.

Of course this presents an interesting question of where does the more socially moderate Republican Business wing go? Guys like say Mark Cuban or Bloomberg have become become uncomfortable with the Republican Party's rhetoric, though they probably prefer the Republican Party's economic policies. It will be interesting what happens to people like them, as they are seemingly without a party.

I know it's pretty dark, but I think that we are fast approaching a radical restructuring of our political parties into a series of less polarized confederacies that will cross the isle quite frequently but be hardline on certain issues. 

If that sounds optimistic as fuck, wait until we see the other option. 

Complete breakdown of functioning Democracy in the country. States basically declaring trade wars on each other as a Right Wing extremist faction calcifies its hold on power with institutions being torn down daily. Massive marches, internet rationing. Some real scary shit. 

You won't go hungry or anything, but the dollar will drop even faster than it is currently so the political isolation becomes increasingly powerful to the point where Canada stops being able to admit U.S. counter-actors seeking asylum because they lack the capacity to economically support the increasingly marginalized resistance. There will be titanic power struggles, people literally dying in the street, and the only thing that could stop it would be a military coup. 

What would happen after that is a story of its own. :) 

8 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

There was always the pro business corporate wing of the Republican Party. These people, were likely more moderate on social issues than the base, like for instance see Edward Conard's comments, which were essentially, "well it looks all the anti-abortion people are dying out. Guess we'll have to find new allies, to keep the profits high." But, they were always willing to footsie with the white nationalist and social conservative crowd, to get their way. I guess they thought they could control them, and then Trump happened and they lost control. I don't think they will be able to re assert the control they usually had. And now the Republican Party will likely go full blown white nationalist.

Of course this presents an interesting question of where does the more socially moderate Republican Business wing go? Guys like say Mark Cuban or Bloomberg have become become uncomfortable with the Republican Party's rhetoric, though they probably prefer the Republican Party's economic policies. It will be interesting what happens to people like them, as they are seemingly without a party.

It's pretty obvious that while Trump ran as a populist/white-nationalist, his economic policies have been entirely pro-big business.  So at the moment, the WSJ wing of the Republican party may not like the chef, but they're loving the meal. 

If the split in US politics truly becomes urban voters + minorities vs Rural/Suburban whites, then I'd expect that the Republican party would indeed become a lot more populist.  There are already articles about how the "Trump boom" is mostly just helping big cities and leaving Trump Country behind.  The Republican party may lose part of the pro-business wing if they go down the road of economic protectionism. 

That raises an interesting question:  If Big Business moves to the Democratic Party, will Fox News come with them?  As in, does Rupert Murdoch care more about making money or pushing his political beliefs? 

But perhaps not.  Perhaps the Republicans will never go for a true populist, only a businessman with populist trappings.  In that case, the fissures within the Republican Party are probably manageable. 

15 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

That raises an interesting question:  If Big Business moves to the Democratic Party, will Fox News come with them?  As in, does Rupert Murdoch care more about making money or pushing his political beliefs? 

Rupert Murdoch is already 86 years old. If we are talking about politics more than a decade from now, it's what Murdoch's heirs care about that's important to know.

17 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Re: bolded:

That may be true in general but not on DACA.  There is broad public support for dreamers here and immigration reform is one of the fronts on which Trump's xenophobic racist war is being fought, so it's a natural place to take a stand.  

There is broad public support for dreamers but not for shutting down the government over dreamers.  And this was before the actual, negative impact of a shutdown on peoples' lives.

2 minutes ago, aeu said:

There is broad public support for dreamers but not for shutting down the government over dreamers.  And this was before the actual, negative impact of a shutdown on peoples' lives.

Get the dick out of your ears. The shutdown harmed about as many people as my questionable shaving technique. I know its odd to go horizontally over the shinbone, but you've just got to get the blades flush with the skin.

32 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

You're kind of confusing me with the "four or five rounds of freedom" on the cost, but if one good IPA only costs a buck o' five, quit yer whining.

I’m saying it costs $4-$5 a bottle. I’m starting a new political party, The Cost Of IPAs Is Too Damn High Party! Now I just got to get on that growing a crazy beard tip.

9 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Rupert Murdoch is already 86 years old. If we are talking about politics more than a decade from now, it's what Murdoch's heirs care about that's important to know.

I remember reading a few years back that his sons were more moderate than him and that they wanted to move away from the Sean Hannity model. Not sure if that’s still the case though.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

I’m saying it costs $4-$5 a bottle. I’m starting a new political party, The Cost Of IPAs Is Too Damn High Party! Now I just got to get on that growing a crazy beard tip.

I remember reading a few years back that his sons were more moderate than him and that they wanted to move away from the Sean Hannity model. Not sure if that’s still the case though.

Didn't he sell his daughter to a Chinese oligarch or something?

34 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I'm in the 14th district (Doyle Rules!), but I drink and watch sports (and could walk to) Monroeville, which inexplicably is in the 18th.  I really do think Lamb has a chance, and if not...

...yeah.

I haven't ventured over to Monroeville in years. :) Doyle always seemed great, though. 

I'll keep watching the polls. 

Disapproval rating is starting to push into the upper fifties in multiple polls over the weekend. 538's adjusted algorithm is tracking 56, but even Rassmussen has the Orange one's disapproval at 57! 

57! That's from a R wing rag of a pollster and beats the number of people who opposed the shutdown in its broadest interpretation. 

We're approaching a breaking point. 

5 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Disapproval rating is starting to push into the upper fifties in multiple polls over the weekend. 538's adjusted algorithm is tracking 56, but even Rassmussen has the Orange one's disapproval at 57! 

57! That's from a R wing rag of a pollster and beats the number of people who opposed the shutdown in its broadest interpretation. 

We're approaching a breaking point. 

He already had hit 57% aggregate from 538 earlier last year. 

23 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

This sounds as questionable as your shaving techniques.

20 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Bah, as we invented IPA, it's Eurocommie by definition! :angry:

LIES!

FAKE NEWS!

(OK maybe not, but I refuse to accept the validity of your comment. That’s what freedumb means!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/7sfw2c/im_david_frum_author_of_the_new_book_trumpocracy/ 

David Frum AMA on Reddit. Apologies if this has already been linked. 

About as spineless as I would have expected - conveniently will not answer any question that refers to his tenure with the Bush Administration. 

55 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It's pretty obvious that while Trump ran as a populist/white-nationalist, his economic policies have been entirely pro-big business.  So at the moment, the WSJ wing of the Republican party may not like the chef, but they're loving the meal. 

If the split in US politics truly becomes urban voters + minorities vs Rural/Suburban whites, then I'd expect that the Republican party would indeed become a lot more populist.  There are already articles about how the "Trump boom" is mostly just helping big cities and leaving Trump Country behind.  The Republican party may lose part of the pro-business wing if they go down the road of economic protectionism. 

But perhaps not.  Perhaps the Republicans will never go for a true populist, only a businessman with populist trappings.  In that case, the fissures within the Republican Party are probably manageable. 

The latter. Trump has shown them how to trick the rubes for 50 more years. They will just have to stomach things like the Muslim ban.

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

He already had hit 57% aggregate from 538 earlier last year. 

Yeah, and hopefully this time the head of the ticket isn't an unloveable condescending plastic bag with a face. 

Look, I actually like HRC but the fact of the matter is that the woman was just not popular. And she was a centrist anyway. We get some nice liberals on the slate and let's see where the people take us. It is important that he not get a break for the tax scam, and him getting back towards 60 means nobody is fooled about why the government is fucked up. 

15 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I was curious, so I looked. No. Nothing about that.

His 2nd oldest daughter was married to a corporate financier from Ghana. Elkin Kwesi Pianim.

His two children, both girls, from his marriage to Wendi Deng are 16 and 14 and living in the US with their mother. Wendi Deng has been accused of being a Chinese spy, thrown at Murdoch to seduce him so she could influence his media empire. The story is she met Murdoch at a party after accidently stumbling and spilling wine on him. The Chinese spy agency apparently arranged for her to be at the party and arranged the 'stumble', presumably by having a guest or a waiter bump into her. She's the woman Jared Kushner and Ivanka party with, and who US intelligence warned them about.

Just now, WinterFox said:

Yeah, and hopefully this time the head of the ticket isn't an unloveable condescending plastic bag with a face. 

I don't understand this. This has nothing to do with HRC. Trump hit 57% disapproval in 2017, specifically December 15th to 17th. 

My point is that the idea that we're close to a 'tipping point' is wishful thinking. 

Archived