TWOW title double meaning (no spoilers)

weirwoodhood

Hmmm...

Well, warhorns are essentially just wind instruments. They are blowing or winding horns that require air to make noise or sound or "wind" if you will. We cannot forget that Sam still has the mysterious broken horn Jon gave him from among the cache of dragonglass weapons.

By the time the dealing was done, Sam was down to his boots and blacks and smallclothes, and the broken horn Jon Snow had found on the Fist of First Men. I had no choice, he told himself. We could not stay on Braavos, and short of theft or beggary, there was no other way to pay for passage. He would have counted it cheap at thrice the price if only they had gotten Maester Aemon safe to Oldtown. - Samwell IV, A Feast for Crows

We also have Euron's hellhorn, Dragonbinder.

One of his brother's mongrels had sounded the hellhorn at the kingsmoot on Old Wyk. A monster of a man he had been, huge and shaven-headed, with rings of gold and jet and jade around arms thick with muscle, and a great hawk tattooed across his chest. "The sound it made … it burned, somehow. As if my bones were on fire, searing my flesh from within. Those writings glowed red-hot, then white-hot and painful to look upon. It seemed as if the sound would never end. It was like some long scream. A thousand screams, all melted into one."

"Your brother did not sound the horn himself. Nor must you." Moqorro pointed to the band of steel. "Here. 'Blood for fire, fire for blood.' Who blows the hellhorn matters not. The dragons will come to the horn's master. You must claim the horn. With blood." - Victarion, A Dance with Dragons

There is no way Euron hasn't already "claimed" that horn so when it is blown near those dragons... it'll be interesting to see what happens.

So, the "winds" could refer to the significance of these magical winding horns. Obviously, we don't know Sam's horn is anything important like the Horn of Winter itself but... C'mon! Why hold onto it since 'A Clash of Kings' if it isn't, at some point, going to do something? It is basically "Chekhov's Horn" at this point.

3 hours ago, weirwoodhood said:

My first post idea. 

The winds of winter is about the words of winter. 

Why? Cause “words are wind.” The words/winds of winter will be key to the plot of book 6.

Very much so.

The Other said something in a language that Will did not know; his voice was like the cracking of ice on a winter lake, and the words were mocking.

What words of winter do you imagine will be key, @weirwoodhood?  Welcome to the forum by the way.

My take on it is that the wind and winter / the north have been associated with the nameless old gods thus far, and that, particularly with Bran and Bloodraven, along with Jon and Theon, we are going to get a lot more exposition of the beliefs and mechanics of how the "old gods" work in this book.  I imagine the old gods and their followers will feature prominently.

Also, the alliteration is cool and winter will begin to impact the machinations in the south and in the east or the first time in the story.

A potential double meaning I saw for the word "wind" is the sense of winding a watch.

I never compiled a record of them, but there are references to the Night's "Watch" that could be interpreted in the sense of telling time by reading a clock. If I recall correctly, we are also told that people tell time by the shadow cast by the Wall and by the tower in Oldtown.

So the author could be telling us that we are about to witness the (long overdue, imho) winding of the watch.

4 hours ago, Seams said:

A potential double meaning I saw for the word "wind" is the sense of winding a watch.

I never compiled a record of them, but there are references to the Night's "Watch" that could be interpreted in the sense of telling time by reading a clock. If I recall correctly, we are also told that people tell time by the shadow cast by the Wall and by the tower in Oldtown.

So the author could be telling us that we are about to witness the (long overdue, imho) winding of the watch.

That is similiar to what i said but i took wind as a verb in the sense  of  "a winding path" not as winding a clock, 

So my thought was path through winter or paths of winter, something along those lines

Archived