Cricket: ODIs Aren’t Proper Cricket Edition

Hereward

Pakistan's batting is fragile so I wouldn't be too worried if I were England. I don't expect Pakistan to put up very many scores in this series - subcontinental teams with powerful batting lineups (India) haven't fared well in England, so you can imagine what would happen to a weaker batting lineup. And Anderson is a god in English conditions.

Pakistan have made a good, solid start in overcast conditions this morning, only trailing by 100 with 9 wickets in hand.

However, looking at the batting lineup you have the wicket-keeper Sarfraz batting at No. 6 and then of numbers 7-11, only Amir is in double digits in terms of Tests played. No matter how promising Shadab and Faheem might be as bowling all-rounders at 7 and 8, it's not the sort of lineup you'd stake your life on. Batting last as well, you'd think they would want to get a very solid lead.

Well, there we go...scores just about even with 7 wickets still in the shed. They'll want to push onto a big lead now - I don't fancy Pakistan chasing a small fourth innings total so their best bet is to keep batting and only have to bat once.

3 hours ago, Paxter said:

This is the pure joy of watching Pakistan. They could just as easily be all out for 200 or 300-3 - you never know how things will pan out.

Unlike England where we can be pretty sure about how they will play every time they bat. 

Haha Jeor - I love how you are searching for reasons why Pakistan will lose this game. Realistically they are miles ahead and should go on to win it. But if any team can lose it, it’s Pakistan.

The visitors will be slightly miffed that no one went on to score a ton, but it was a great team batting performance. The short ball worked unusually well for England, keeping them in the hunt.

I felt very sorry for Babar. He is a decent player but missed another chance for a maiden century with that blow to the arm.

Bad luck for Babar Azam, he was batting well and he's now out of the tour with a broken arm. Also means Pakistan are missing another batsman in their second innings, so it's likely Sarfraz will have to bat at 5 and the all-rounders come in at 6 and 7.

Four half-centuries, no big ones, but a healthy lead nonetheless. Pakistan showed lots of fight and application to build it. England are going to have to bat mighty well to get themselves out of this one.

Just now, Paxter said:

Haha Jeor - I love how you are searching for reasons why Pakistan could lose this game. Realistically they are miles ahead and should go on to win it. But if any team can lose it, it’s Pakistan.

I love Pakistan as a side (they are a neutral's dream team). They've got amazing talent, they can rip sides to pieces with their bowling or with some crazy batting. But they are just so fragile that you can never feel safe!

Perfect morning for Pakistan so far - get a few quick runs, then get the early wicket of Cook. Still a long way to go though and the sun is shining - today might be the best day to bat (there I go again, Pax! :))

Root is looking very determined - he just needs some of the others to stick around and who knows what they could score. I agree that the batting conditions look a lot more benign today.

Minor point: Watching Abbas bowl is a delight. 

Well a collapse again. It was looking ok with Malan and Root at 2/91 but doesn't take long for things to deteriorate rapidly. Great bowling from Pakistan, though, only Stokes' dismissal could be considered a gift - all the others were earned with good deliveries. The bowling has been threatening all the time and this five-man attack is firing on all cylinders.

Speaking of "really bad" - surely Stoneman must be on his last legs. The guy's played in 11 Tests now and has a highest score of 60. I would say that 20 consecutive innings as an opener without being dropped, with that sort of record, must be trying the selectors' patience.

15 hours ago, Jeor said:

Bad luck for Babar Azam, he was batting well and he's now out of the tour with a broken arm. Also means Pakistan are missing another batsman in their second innings, so it's likely Sarfraz will have to bat at 5 and the all-rounders come in at 6 and 7.

Somehow I don't think they will be too worried about their second innings batting, although it could be more of a concern for the next Test. 

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

Speaking of "really bad" - surely Stoneman must be on his last legs. The guy's played in 11 Tests now and has a highest score of 60. I would say that 20 consecutive innings as an opener without being dropped, with that sort of record, must be trying the selectors' patience.

It’s a shame Hameed fell apart after his brilliant debut in India. So, it must be time for Gubbins, or even Hildreth. 

Archived