Cricket: ODIs Aren’t Proper Cricket Edition

Hereward

I reckon Smith and Bancroft are now "in the clear" with the public, and with his resignation Lehmann as well. At least Lehmann acknowledged he was responsible for the culture and that his resignation will allow CA to move forward with their review and institute real change.

Warner has hung himself out to dry and I think even now he missed the boat by not doing a similar apology to Smith/Bancroft. Now with the time delay anything he does is going to look manufactured and overmanaged. Even if he tears up and shows genuine emotion, people are going to say that it was because he saw the forgiveness that Smith and Bancroft got and decided he needed to copy them.

No Starc this Test means South Africa really are firm favourites now. Markram looks like the real deal - up until now his healthy Test average was padded out by early centuries against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, but now he's shown he can score runs against top-drawer attacks. In 10 Tests he's made 4 fifties and 3 centuries - not bad. There might be life after AB de Villiers and Amla after all.

I know a lot of the commentary is going to be about how hard the Aussies will find it to pick themselves up again. But to be honest, there are four new players in the team who have just been gifted a chance to shine (Burns, Renshaw, Handscomb, Sayers) and a first-time captain as well (Tim Paine) so I'd think they should be more than able to find it in themselves to scrap and fight for this match.

9 hours ago, Paxter said:

And it’s a very different England batting lineup without Ali and Woakes to strengthen the tail.

I'm not sure Ali is doing much strengthening in current form, although both he and Woakes do have a better Test batting average than either Vince or Stoneman.

6 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Chad Sayers is very 'meh'. Pretty rubbish pace (usually around 120kph) and it's not like he is swinging it much, so not sure wtf he adds to the attack.

Edit: and ofcourse he picks up AB. Should've said something earlier.....

Edit2: and now Rabada...

Haha that was funny Niloy. The advantage of Sayers is that he bowls a tight line and length - keeps the pressure on. But yes he’s no Starc!

That wasn’t a terrible day for Australia in the circumstances. Credit to Markram though for putting SA into a decent position.

Yeah a fantastic test unfolding in Christchurch. It’s really quite criminal that this talented NZ side aren’t playing more tests. Watling is just a gem of a test player - one of the most underrated worldwide.

Yeah, pity for Bavuma. Given how little cricket he has played, getting a Test century would have been a real shot in the arm for his career. As it is, 95* is not too shabby and should give him credit in the bank with the selectors for at least another series.

Khawaja really needs to come up with a score here. Test batting average of 42 is decent enough but the home/away split has been exacerbated by this series (Home: 59.38, Away: 24.88). As the commentators recently said, only one 50 in the series so far is not really good enough from a No. 3 in the order.

I should also say that although Sayers' pace is unimpressive, he only needs to look at Vernon Philander to see how someone can consistently bowl in the mid 120s and still be effective. Philander doesn't get extravagant movement, but he's got very good control, is very economical and gets just enough movement off the seam (which is always in a good position travelling down the pitch) to pick up wickets.

The difference is, Philander is consistently in the high 120s (hovers around 130kph), while Sayers is around low 120s (hovers around 120kph). That is some serious difference.

All the new kids gone. This is going to be a short match at this rate.

edit: way too many soft dismissals for the aussies :/

On 31/03/2018 at 6:56 PM, Paxter said:

Yeah a fantastic test unfolding in Christchurch. It’s really quite criminal that this talented NZ side aren’t playing more tests. Watling is just a gem of a test player - one of the most underrated worldwide.

Hey, it could be worse. We could have that stupid two-tier test model instead, whereupon we'd be playing perpetual two-test series against the West Indies, Bangladesh, and Zimbabwe, plus Pakistan or Sri Lanka if we're lucky (or South Africa if we're very lucky).  

23 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

The difference is, Philander is consistently in the high 120s (hovers around 130kph), while Sayers is around low 120s (hovers around 120kph). That is some serious difference.

True. I'm actually trying to figure out how Sayers has got such a good first class record (240 wickets in 60 matches at an average of 24) given his rather severe lack of any pace at all.

Morkel's injury complicates things a bit but South Africa should still be able to get 10 more wickets to bowl Australia out again. But I'm guessing they'll want to bat out today and a bit more of tomorrow to give the bowlers as much rest as possible and time for Morkel to come back (if he can).

3 minutes ago, Jeor said:

True. I'm actually trying to figure out how Sayers has got such a good first class record (240 wickets in 60 matches at an average of 24) given his rather severe lack of any pace at all.

I am wondering the exact same thing! Doesn't bode well for future Aussie batting stock....

31 minutes ago, Jeor said:

That's a pretty amazing FC record for a guy bowling at 120-125kph especially when you factor in the state of pitches in Australia for a number of years now. Judging just by Tests over some years the surfaces in Australia have become very flat and docile. You' think that a bloke bowling at a gentle 120kph on flat surfaces would be cannon fodder. 

Either Sayers has some mystical powers we don't know about, or the batting talent of Australian state cricket is pretty dry.

He's gone for 0/33 off 8 overs and has been the least used bowler this innings so far.

Maybe some of his first class record was amassed when he was younger and had a bit more pace (he's 30 now, which usually should still be in fast bowling prime, but sometimes people decline in pace earlier).

Archived