Ninclow's questions

Ninclow

Okay, usually I would ask these things in the "Little questions" thread, but that seems to be focused primarily on people wanting to know about/reminded of specific pieces of book canon, whereas mine are more aimed towards the 'mechanics' of the feudalistic society depicted in a ASOIAF to understand it properly.

Westeros/Seven Kingdoms are inspired from medieval Europe, and in medieval Europe, at least the High- to late middle ages, people could enter a church and claim sanctuary. Is there a similar arrangement in septs. like the Great Sept of Baelor or the Starry Sept in Oldtown?

On 1/20/2018 at 5:17 AM, Ninclow said:

Westeros/Seven Kingdoms are inspired from medieval Europe, and in medieval Europe, at least the High- to late middle ages, people could enter a church and claim sanctuary. Is there a similar arrangement in septs. like the Great Sept of Baelor or the Starry Sept in Oldtown?

I am not aware of anyone claiming or discussing "sanctuary" in connection with a sept. Since Margaery and Cersei have been imprisoned after visiting a sept, it seems as if the High Septon is operating like a law enforcement agent, not someone who provides shelter out of the reach of the law.

51 minutes ago, Ninclow said:

Is there a difference between 'household guard' like the ones getting their asses handed to them by Syrio Forel and 'household knights', or are household knights simply occupying a position as a Lord's guardsmen?

A knight is a title conferred by another knight after someone has earned it through service or valor in battle. A guard is not necessarily a knight. Presumably a knight could be employed as a guard, but a guard could be anyone able to help maintain order. The wiki provides only a stub on the topic of Household knights, citing The Hedge Knight as the source of this info: "Household knights are landless knights who have been taken into service by a lord."

I think the forum could use a post exploring the various types of guards - King's guard, rainbow guard, Night's Watch, City Watch, etc.

I visited the iceandfire wikia, where I added a page for "Master of Laws" and wrote the following: 

The holder of this title is expected to have extensive knowledge on both the King's laws as well as the local laws of the various regions of Westeros. It is known that the Master of Laws is responsible to overseeing the dungeons at the Red Keep, and that those who work there report to him.

I mean to change it, as the next thing I wrote was a bit more speculative than intended:

It is presumably also customary for the Master of Laws to reside as one of the seven judges in criminal trials, and might also represent the Iron Throne in settling lesser disputes between the smallfolk in King's Landing, as leaving them to their own devices might cause a sense of neglect and spark rebellion or conflict.

The City Watch of King's Landing presumably also falls under his purview. It is also possible that the Master of Laws assists the Hand of the King in an advisory capacity when they draw up the King's laws.

But... What do you suppose is the the duties of this office? I mean... "Kevan Lannister, provides the boy king with documents to sign, including pardons, grants, and bills of attainder." so it has to be more than advising the king verbally and overseeing the dungeons.

I know the wikia said that true water dancers can kill on top of the Moon Pool without disturbing the water, but is there any mention of bravos who duel at night in Braavos just for the sake of improving their skill - as in, content with disarming/defeating an opponent without having to maim or kill them?

When Cersei was arrested by the Faith Militant and Kevan restored the old titles of the Small Council, he kept that of justiciar. Now that the Master of Laws and the Justiciar both have a seat of the council, how do you differentiate between the two posts? Do they work separately, or do the justiciar assist the master of laws? Do the justiciar handle some of the duties that once belonged to the master of laws, rendering the latter purely an advisor? 

Theoretically, if a Lord sent their son to the Citadel at the age of ten, will that lordling have been able to earn a link within two years through studying, or is it like - a prep-course period for particularly young students adults bypass because adults are expected to be more worldly wise?

Archived