Police violence... when will people see that better training and tactics are essential

Ser Scot A Ellison

You know how they always say ‘don’t read the comments’?

I have been reading the comments on the NYT, Huffington Post, the CBC and other media about the takedown in Toronto. Many many sarcastic and sneering comments from Americans saying, basically, eff off, you can’t even own a real gun in Canada.

A ‘real gun’ apparently is an AR-15 or a handgun with a short barrel.

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You know how they always say ‘don’t read the comments’?

I have been reading the comments on the NYT, Huffington Post, the CBC and other media about the takedown in Toronto. Many many sarcastic and sneering comments from Americans saying, basically, eff off, you can’t even own a real gun in Canada.

A ‘real gun’ apparently is an AR-15 or a handgun with a short barrel.

What???

I hate to press you, but can you give some more detail? Are they saying a good guy with a gun would have saved the world?

From what I've seen is they're saying basically that the cop didn't have to shoot because he would have known the suspect wouldn't have been much of a threat.

That whooshing you hear is the point flying over their collective heads.

Not that they're entirely right about their point, since there are plenty of dangerous guns this guy could have gotten his hands on and kept hidden, most of which come from across our southern border.

Yes, comments like, sure, it’s easy to do that when you know the guy isn’t going to have a gun. Idiots don’t know that Canadians have a lot of guns. Not like the US, of course, nobody is like the US.

Morons, all of them. As opposed to shooting unarmed black guys ‘cuz of course he has a gun.

21 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They need to treat everyone as human beings.

There's a lot of racial injustice and white privilege in police departments and the judicial system writ large. But there's also a human element that rarely gets discussed. I heard a police officer once say that he had a great gig because he was assigned to a very affluent part of town. He went on to say that when you work in poor and/or crime heavy areas, you grow to hate who you police. Let's make the officer Asian in this example. If he worked in a black neighborhood, he would grow to hate black people. Same goes for white or Hispanic. It's a human thing and I don't know you go about fixing it. 

2 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

From what I've seen is they're saying basically that the cop didn't have to shoot because he would have known the suspect wouldn't have been much of a threat.

That whooshing you hear is the point flying over their collective heads.

Not that they're entirely right about their point, since there are plenty of dangerous guns this guy could have gotten his hands on and kept hidden, most of which come from across our southern border.

I think there's a cultural difference. My understanding is that not a large amount of Canadians walk around carrying. In America, you have to assume someone has a gun. It's horribly depressing. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think there's a cultural difference. My understanding is that not a large amount of Canadians walk around carrying. In America, you have to assume someone has a gun. It's horribly depressing. 

Well, it's illegal here. 

Archived