Video Games: It's On Like Donkey Kong

Inigima

Still recovering from The Witcher 3 and wondering what to play next. Was tempted by War of the Chosen for XCOM2, but it's still absurdly overpriced.

I'm mulling over getting Final Fantasy XV when it is released on the one true format at the start of March, so I might plump for a few relatively short games before that comes out.

15 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm mulling over getting Final Fantasy XV when it is released on the one true format at the start of March, so I might plump for a few relatively short games before that comes out.

I’ve thought about trying It again.  The game was gorgeous and the character banter was like able, but I just couldn’t get anything from the combat and the open world left me feeling like I was wandering aimlessly.

Jace is finally gettin' in on that KOTOR restored content and did you fuckers know there's dialogue back in !?!

Like for realz, Kreia being on the beatdown with Atton and me and Atris straight goin' at each throat like bad bitches do.

Picked up Slay The Spire today after watching Austin Walker stream it the other day. It's a really cool rogue-like deck building game on Steam (early access). 

You start with a very basic deck of 10 cards (5 attacks, 5 defends) and make your way through a FTL style map of random encounters, battles, bosses and such. Every time you win a battle you get to pick a new card to add to your deck, you can also buy new cards from merchants whenever you encounter them, pick up relics that give interesting permanent effects, etc. If you're into deck builders (like Dominion or Star Realms) or CCGs at all you should check it out. 

Here's Austin's stream if you want to see what it's like: 

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

How is Tekken?

I think my last Tekken was 4.  Right after Tekken Tag.  Saw a promo video on PSN for it and got super confused when Akuma showed up.

Tekken is very good although Akuma is very annoying. I am not a Serious Fighting Game Person but my understanding is people generally feel it's well-balanced, and the netcode is quite good.

Not sure how much time I've put into it yet (30-50 hours I'd guess), but I still really haven't even started the main quest line in Zelda yet.  Cleared ~40 shrines, climbed all but two towers, done a bunch of side quests, found most of the DLC loot, nearly maxed out my weapons stash, upgraded a lot of gear, and found a bunch of memories.  This game is massive.  A lot more than I was expecting, that's for sure.  I think once I get these last two towers I'll start working through the actual game, which should move along fairly quickly as I have quite a few good weapon options and a lot of good gear.

The makers of Theme Hospital (not Molyneux, thank fuck) are making a modern version called Two Point Hospital. If it's a success, we might see a raft of spiritual remakes of other Bullfrog games from the same guys. Nice.

Subnautica launched today. I played some of the Early Access and the atmosphere was pretty good.

Seven: The Days Long Gone got a free demo and a price cut today. Might check out the demo, see how it goes.

In unsurprising news, BioWare's fate may rest on the success of Anthem. If it doesn't sell well out of the gate, EA could shutter the studio.

This is concerning. I thought Dragon Age IV was in simultaneous development and was a lot further along, so BioWare would get a couple more chances. Apparently not. DA4 has been recently "rebooted" and most of the work that's been done is pre-production, so EA could easily ditch it. It also sounds like their Star Wars game is on indefinite hold whilst EA work out that's going on with Visceral's title (which is being reconstituted as a multiplayer game). Even The Old Republic sounds like it could be shut down.

Obviously, Anthem might end up being a huge hit. But it doesn't look likely given that the game looks a Destiny clone and seems to have very few people excited about it.

Fortunately, the likes of Obsidian, CDPR, Stoic, Larian and others are carrying out the work and trails blazed by BioWare so we'll still be getting some great games going forwards.

True, there will be others, but there's something decidedly Bioware about how they do narrative and that's why I will be incredibly sad if they get closed. I haven't played Andromeda yet although I do think I would personally like it, I just got swept up into playing every single possible JRPG(the Atelier series is such an underrated gem) so I just haven't gotten around to it.

So yeah, I'll hope Anthem will be a success, if only so I can live to see a DA4.

30 minutes ago, Werthead said:

In unsurprising news, BioWare's fate may rest on the success of Anthem. If it doesn't sell well out of the gate, EA could shutter the studio.

This is concerning. I thought Dragon Age IV was in simultaneous development and was a lot further along, so BioWare would get a couple more chances. Apparently not. DA4 has been recently "rebooted" and most of the work that's been done is pre-production, so EA could easily ditch it. It also sounds like their Star Wars game is on indefinite hold whilst EA work out that's going on with Visceral's title (which is being reconstituted as a multiplayer game). Even The Old Republic sounds like it could be shut down.

Obviously, Anthem might end up being a huge hit. But it doesn't look likely given that the game looks a Destiny clone and seems to have very few people excited about it.

Fortunately, the likes of Obsidian, CDPR, Stoic, Larian and others are carrying out the work and trails blazed by BioWare so we'll still be getting some great games going forwards.

You do god's work son.

By god, I mean me. And by work I mean research.

Witcher 3 update:

Spoiler

So I just killed Keira Metz. She started whining about bed bugs and I basically said waahhh, and next thing you know we're fighting to the death. I mean that convo turned on a dime. I was absolutely not expecting that it would go that far. Damn.

I texted my buddy this and he laughed and said that she was his ally until the end. 

Finished God Of War : Ascension.  

I'm now playing God of War 3. I forgot how much spectacle these games had. The camera always puts it where you can get maximum epic sweep as possible. Love the enemy variety and world design of these games. Also love the combat/platform/puzzle gameplay. Combat isn't deep but going to get some of that later in the year with the Devil May Cry Collection for PC. For now I'll just enjoy the ride that is God of War Apocalypse.  These games are still gorgeous. 

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk how you guys find the time to check out so many video games. I feel like I have no time anymore since graduating from college. 

Getting out of college wasn’t so bad... but having kids has torpedoed my playtime.

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk how you guys find the time to check out so many video games. I feel like I have no time anymore since graduating from college. 

I'm the opposite, I have way more time since leaving college. Work doesn't follow me home.

Granted I was also working the whole time I was in college so I had less free time than most college students do I guess. 

15 hours ago, Melphis_Amekia said:

True, there will be others, but there's something decidedly Bioware about how they do narrative and that's why I will be incredibly sad if they get closed. I haven't played Andromeda yet although I do think I would personally like it, I just got swept up into playing every single possible JRPG(the Atelier series is such an underrated gem) so I just haven't gotten around to it.

So yeah, I'll hope Anthem will be a success, if only so I can live to see a DA4.

No exaggeration in saying I will be devastated when Bioware is finally shut down. Like you I hope that day is later rather than sooner, but my gut tells me that Anthem will be a colossal failure. It will have to be basically flawless at launch not to be assassinated out the gate by haters the same way Andromeda was. 

Thing about Anthem is that we have almost no information about it, and EA hasn't even begun hyping it yet. If the full-court press for it at this year's E3 fizzles (or if it doesn't get showcased at E3), then I'll be worried about the future of Bioware.

Archived