Video Games: It's On Like Donkey Kong

Inigima

On 26/01/2018 at 0:26 AM, briantw said:

I thought it was really good, although quite a bit shorter than I expected.  It ends at kind of an odd point as well.  Feels like the first half of a full game, to be honest.  

Definitely worth sixteen bucks, though.  

I think the length was good for it, although the DLC does expand it out a bit (and the free update adds a fair bit even without the DLC). It's about 20 hours which feels right for the game, and it didn't get horribly bloated out like Pillars of Eternity.

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think the length was good for it, although the DLC does expand it out a bit (and the free update adds a fair bit even without the DLC). It's about 20 hours which feels right for the game, and it didn't get horribly bloated out like Pillars of Eternity.

Don't get me wrong...I don't think the game was a poor value or anything.  I really liked it and thought it was nice and unique.  I just thought it ended at such an awkward point that it kind of felt like there should be another full half of the game.  I also thought there could have been a few more side quests, as what was there was pretty limited, although as you mentioned they've added some content to the game since I played it back when it came out.  

Maybe I'll give it another go.  I wouldn't mind trying to get Bleden Mark to submit to me so I have that save for the inevitable sequel.  Was sad I had to kill that old bastard.

I picked up Celeste on Switch. So far it's... okay? Gameplay wise, it's very much a series of platforming challenge rooms, not designed to be a ball breaker like Super Meat Boy or N but fairly challenging. Plot-wise, I'm pretty sure we are gearing up for a Very Special Lesson, although I'm not yet sure if it's about panic attacks, or self-esteem, or something else. I'm enjoying it well enough but I don't know that I would pay $20 for it knowing what I know now.

The Switch has a lot of good indie games, but I am getting very tired of the retro pixel art aesthetic and would like more games that try harder in the graphics department. They don't have to be crazy hi-rez jillion-poly models, Hollow Knight is gorgeous and I'd love more like that.

A few years ago I would have mocked anyone mentioning that they watch Twitch streamers. I've warmed to it these days, for games I am awful at or my increasingly dated rig can't run. 

Anyways, the past night or two I've watched a healthy bit of the Sea of Thieves closed beta. Assuming it has lots more progression, PvP, and varied gameplay content, that game is going to be fun as all hell with 3 friends.

I think that hour or two the first night watching a 4 man group sink other ships, screw up, and play pirate ditties was the hardest I've ever laughed at a stream. It was thoroughly entertaining, and wow is that a gorgeous game. Cant wait to play it.

7 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You can always have another one and go for the old stab in the back theory. Best start laying the groundwork now though.

Are you offering?

23 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yeah. 

Hide contents

She wanted to take the notes that were about the Catriona plague to Radovid, and Geralt thought that was a dumb idea so he tells her to hand them over. That's when shit goes down. Although before that we could've just sent her to Kaer Morhen. I think not doing that leads to the fight to the death. I still don't know why I just didn't send her there? I think me and my Geralt were still angry about her using us to get to the island... or leaving us naked and alone in the woods. :blush:

Haha yes I remember now. It's been a couple years. I recall thinking that I could just disagree with her and no big deal, and then the dialogue broke and shit got real. A showdown in the marsh. I guess I coulda re-loaded a save but I just decided to stay with the real moment. I opened up my save the other day to see if there was a lot left to do and was disappointed. I've pretty much completed everything important/interesting. A shame. What a great game.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:13 PM, sainttriple7 said:

Finished God Of War : Ascension.  

I'm now playing God of War 3. I forgot how much spectacle these games had. The camera always puts it where you can get maximum epic sweep as possible. Love the enemy variety and world design of these games. Also love the combat/platform/puzzle gameplay. Combat isn't deep but going to get some of that later in the year with the Devil May Cry Collection for PC. For now I'll just enjoy the ride that is God of War Apocalypse.  These games are still gorgeous. 

You know, with the new one coming out, I was just thinking of the only God of War experience I had. I think I played God of War 3. When screaming man Kratos goes into a chamber and murders a naked woman to progress the plot--I shut the game off and said that was a series I don't need to play.

I think the creators really want to shake some of that old stigma with the new one, but I can't get that awfulness out of my head.

On 1/25/2018 at 3:09 PM, Werthead said:

Wait, that can happen?

Reveal hidden contents

Keira and my Geralt were best buds (with benefits), joined forces to fight a massive battle and then Geralt helped pair her off with one his mates. She was an amusing character, albeit with ludicrously stupid dress sense.

I won't. BioWare have been running on fumes for years and years. Other studios are making much better RPGs than they are, and have been for some considerable time.

I did that ages ago. Keep up, people :P

I should note that Obsidian made KotOR 2 rather than BioWare and they're still making top games. Tyranny is basically KotOR 2-but-in-a-fantasy-world and it's great.

Oh, Banner Saga 3 due this summer, six months ahead of schedule. The Kickstarter did much better than expected and allowed them to turbocharge the development time.

As for your hidden comments:

Spoiler

The first time I played, Keira and I were best friends forever. The second time I played, I somehow couldn't replicate it and kept forcing a fight where I had to kill her. I had to look up the "right" answers so I wouldn't do that. It's actually a lot more nuanced than you think when you realize how much pressure is on that conversation!

I'm not much of a Bioware fan either. A lot of people blame EA, but the company itself has made a lot of bad decisions. I'm sad we won't get a good Mass Effect game again--I haven't liked one since ME2, but those are the breaks, I guess.

I think I've wrapped up my time with BotW after putting about 100 hours into it. I did all the main story stuff, the Champions Ballad DLC, and most of the shrines in the game (I think I got 95 out of 120 or something). I might go back to it at some point to do some more side quests (although most of them were pretty dull fetch quests with little to no payoff) or the intermediate and advanced master sword trials, but for now I'm pretty good with where I left it. Really wonderful game overall. 

Onward to Night In The Woods & then probably Nier Automata. 

Anyone else pick up Monster Hunter World?

This is my first Monster Hunter game and I am enjoying it quite a bit.  I'm not to far into it so far, but love going out on hunts and all of the different type of weapons I can use.  Plus, you get to make your own cat companion in the character creator.

I've heard there are issues with the online for it, but I haven't tried to play it online yet.  Just enjoying soloing the hunts for now.

The February Humble Monthly Bundle is pretty awesome so far.  Civ VI plus Owlboy unlocked already, and still four or five more games to go.  Civ VI alone made it worth it for me.

Definitely well-worth the twelve bucks.

On 1/29/2018 at 2:58 AM, l2 0 5 5 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Haha yes I remember now. It's been a couple years. I recall thinking that I could just disagree with her and no big deal, and then the dialogue broke and shit got real. A showdown in the marsh. I guess I coulda re-loaded a save but I just decided to stay with the real moment. I opened up my save the other day to see if there was a lot left to do and was disappointed. I've pretty much completed everything important/interesting. A shame. What a great game.

Was it wrong of me that I gamed the game by seeing where the conversation went, and when it went in to that end I just reloaded from a slightly earlier save and took in in a safer direction?

On 1/28/2018 at 6:58 AM, Argonath Diver said:

A few years ago I would have mocked anyone mentioning that they watch Twitch streamers. I've warmed to it these days, for games I am awful at or my increasingly dated rig can't run. 

Anyways, the past night or two I've watched a healthy bit of the Sea of Thieves closed beta. Assuming it has lots more progression, PvP, and varied gameplay content, that game is going to be fun as all hell with 3 friends.

I think that hour or two the first night watching a 4 man group sink other ships, screw up, and play pirate ditties was the hardest I've ever laughed at a stream. It was thoroughly entertaining, and wow is that a gorgeous game. Cant wait to play it.

I don't like watching single player games on Twitch, or watching single payer let's plays on Youtube. I do like watching competitive games, especially professional-level Esports. My go tos at the moment are Smite and Rocket League. It's cool being able to casually chat with the world's best at something, and because Rocket League and Smite have relatively low viewer bases right now the chats don't whiz by with the streamer only noticing 5 or 10% of what's written in chat and responding to even less than that.

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Was it wrong of me that I gamed the game by seeing where the conversation went, and when it went in to that end I just reloaded from a slightly earlier save and took in in a safer direction?

No, I did the same. I don't know if it was intended by the writers or not, but picking "annoyed" dialogue choices escalates into 

Spoiler

fight to the death

way too quickly and easily.

Archived