Video Games: It's On Like Donkey Kong

Inigima

1 hour ago, Pecan said:

Far Cry 5 is a very good game. I played the crap out of Far Cry 4, absolutely loved it, and FC5, objectively, is a better game. But, to me, the anonymous deputy that you play the game as makes it a bit soulless. In both Far Cry 3 (which I haven't played yet) and Far Cry 4, your player-character has a name and at least some reason for being there and going through the game activities. But the FC5 player is completely anonymous - no name, no personal history, and no motivation other than trying to stop the cult. The game is good though. I still had a lot of fun with it, but years from now I'll remember Far Cry 4 more fondly I think, and probably Far Cry 3 as well, which many people think is the best one in the series. 

Nah brah. Primal Instinct is the Far Cry GOAT

Zelda - Breath of the Wild has ruined open world RPGs for me... I got so used to all the climbing(and gliding) that the inability to climb is now a deal-breaker to me. Also the weather. The weather effects in Zelda are great. I did not even miss to ability to dive(which is mostly useless in most non-Bathesda  games anyway). 

Now I imagine my perfect RPG game as a mix of Zelda, Witcher 3 and Skyrim. 

6 hours ago, Pecan said:

Far Cry 5 is a very good game. I played the crap out of Far Cry 4, absolutely loved it, and FC5, objectively, is a better game. But, to me, the anonymous deputy that you play the game as makes it a bit soulless. In both Far Cry 3 (which I haven't played yet) and Far Cry 4, your player-character has a name and at least some reason for being there and going through the game activities. But the FC5 player is completely anonymous - no name, no personal history, and no motivation other than trying to stop the cult. The game is good though. I still had a lot of fun with it, but years from now I'll remember Far Cry 4 more fondly I think, and probably Far Cry 3 as well, which many people think is the best one in the series. 

They got a lot of blowback for the characters in FC1, 3 and 4 (especially 3) so I think they decided to go for a create-your-own-character approach, like you did in 2. It also allows them to say they've done a female protagonist without, you know, doing any actual work to that end.

7 hours ago, Pecan said:

I'm not really a fan of anonymous POV characters in narrative games.  The only games that have ever made it work properly were made by Valve, and Valve doesn't make games any more.

The only time it really makes all that much sense is in the "build your own character" RPG games, but even then I tend to think the Mass Effect method of actually fleshing out your POV character is a much better solution.  I was actually attached to my Shepherd character, whereas I've never really even thought about who my character is in games like Skyrim and Fallout.  

7 hours ago, Wolfgang I said:

Zelda - Breath of the Wild has ruined open world RPGs for me... I got so used to all the climbing(and gliding) that the inability to climb is now a deal-breaker to me. Also the weather. The weather effects in Zelda are great. I did not even miss to ability to dive(which is mostly useless in most non-Bathesda  games anyway). 

Now I imagine my perfect RPG game as a mix of Zelda, Witcher 3 and Skyrim. 

The weather element was cool, but it seemed like every time I had to climb it would start to rain(which really sucked before you got a certain perk).

Your perfect RPG game mix is the exact order of the last 3 games I have played. I went on a recent trip so I decided to pick Skyrim up for the Switch to keep busy. It looks really great and still lots of fun. I still get amazed that I can just bring it home and pop it on on my big screen. Wild times we love in!

On 3/29/2018 at 0:59 AM, Inkdaub said:

I have pretty much given up on Mass Effect.  I hate the guy's voice and I hate the Mako buggy and I hate even the idea of an accuracy rating.  I'll probably wait a while and then make a female Shepard and try it again.  Maybe.

You could play Mass Effect in the "PS3 order". Mass Effect was never released as a stand alone game on PS3, because it was a Microsoft exclusive. But when EA bought Bioware (what a double edged sword that has turned out to be) EA's mandate is multiplatform everything. So Mass Effect 2 was released on PS3, with an interactive motion comic to cover the main story beats (and key character choices (who lives, who dies)) from Mass Effect. SO I got into Mass Effect by Playing Mass Effect 2 first.

Then Mass Effect 3 came out for the three platforms all at the same time. And some time later the Mass Effect trilogy was released, which through some sort of publishing loophole allowed Mass Effected to be released on PS3 for the first time, as long as you bought the trilogy. 

So, if you are having a hard time getting past the dated elements of Mass Effect, it might be worth starting with Mass Effect 2.

OTOH, a lot of people got really pissed at Bioware for how they ended the trilogy, and then got even more pissed at Bioware and EA for how Mass Effect: Andromeda went down. So maybe, given Mass Effect 2 is really the only game n the franchise that gets almost universal praise, it might not be worth putting in the time and effort to play any of the games.

I loved the trilogy, for all its faults. And I'm liking Andromeda so far, since I waited to get the game until after all the performance kinks were worked out. But it might not be worth it for someone just coming into the series now.

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

They got a lot of blowback for the characters in FC1, 3 and 4 (especially 3) so I think they decided to go for a create-your-own-character approach, like you did in 2. It also allows them to say they've done a female protagonist without, you know, doing any actual work to that end.

The thing is, the create your own character is completely meaningless. You never see yourself. But you can buy outfits that you never see too. 

15 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

The weather element was cool, but it seemed like every time I had to climb it would start to rain(which really sucked before you got a certain perk).

Your perfect RPG game mix is the exact order of the last 3 games I have played. I went on a recent trip so I decided to pick Skyrim up for the Switch to keep busy. It looks really great and still lots of fun. I still get amazed that I can just bring it home and pop it on on my big screen. Wild times we love in!

Hah my SO feels the same way about rain and climbing. :D She loves Zelda though. I lost control of my switch and now play on the PC again. ;)

10 hours ago, Pecan said:

The thing is, the create your own character is completely meaningless. You never see yourself. But you can buy outfits that you never see too. 

If you play the game co-op you do see the other character (and they you).

On 4/3/2018 at 8:40 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

But then the Reapers win and billions die!

At least, for the next 20,000 years.

Ummmmm... 20,000?

What the fuck bargain bin Reapers were in your Mass Effect game?

35 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Anyone interested in Crusader Kings II, apparently it's free on Steam for the next of couple of days.

@Tywin et al.

Buy that game for free. It'll take you two years of occasional 30 minute trials before you figure out how to play, but once you do...

Hold on, Hitler is making surreptitious looks in the direction of Hungary. It must be made clear that foreign intervention in Hungarian affairs is best left to the glorious Kingdom of Romania .

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Anyone interested in Crusader Kings II, apparently it's free on Steam for the next of couple of days.

Oh my god. I just looked it up, thinking that this one of Steam's usual "play it this weekend, but you have to buy it afterwards" trials. But no, they are actually giving copies of it away for free!

Everyone get it! Go for it! You won't regret it!

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

@Tywin et al.

Buy that game for free. It'll take you two years of occasional 30 minute trials before you figure out how to play, but once you do...

Hold on, Hitler is making surreptitious looks in the direction of Hungary. It must be made clear that foreign intervention in Hungarian affairs is best left to the glorious Kingdom of Romania .

Will do!

Archived