Video Games: It's On Like Donkey Kong

Inigima

8 hours ago, Relic said:

Also, anyone here play Slay the Spire?

I like Slay the Spire a lot and it's very addicting, but the main issue with it is that I feel like it is 100% luck-based.  If you don't get good card drops early, you're fucked.  And I also feel like there are really only a couple of strategies that can lead to any kind of long-term success.  If you're the main class, you either need to get lucky with a Barricade or Demon Form drop, as your only real options are a block deck or a strength deck.  If you're the Silent, you better hope you get some good poison card drops or you're just totally fucked since you can't even heal.

It's also kind of dumb that the class with less health has no means of healing outside of camping or getting incredibly fucking lucky with a relic drop, but that's another issue altogether.

Love the art, sound design, and general feel of the game, though.  Just wish it was more skill-based.  

Mafia III is a very odd game. It feels like half the game's content is missing, there's a lot of jumping about in the narrative that seems to leave a lot of plot on the table. I'm doing stuff without any real reason for doing it.

Damn, Mafia I is one of the greatest games ever made, Mafia II was far weaker (despite some good ideas) and Mafia III seems to be continuing the decline. Annoying. Glad I got the game really cheap.

10 hours ago, Relic said:

The makers of FTL, probably my favorite game of the last 5 years (i havent played many, to be fair) just released Into the Breech, which is quite good, imho. Anyone going to pick it up?

Also, anyone here play Slay the Spire?

I may end up getting into the Breech.  I'm gonna watch some videos on it to make sure it's something I would like.  Loved FTL.

I've been playing a ton of Slay the Spire.  That game is an asshole. lol.  Addicting gameplay that I love.  But, since it's early access, I have hit the point where I don't have any thing else to unlock.  The gameplay is good enough that I keep playing though.

32 minutes ago, Fiddler said:

I may end up getting into the Breech.  I'm gonna watch some videos on it to make sure it's something I would like.  Loved FTL.

I've been playing a ton of Slay the Spire.  That game is an asshole. lol.  Addicting gameplay that I love.  But, since it's early access, I have hit the point where I don't have any thing else to unlock.  The gameplay is good enough that I keep playing though.

Is it actually called Into the Breech?  If so that's a non buy for me.  That shit bugs the hell out of me.

8 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Is it actually called Into the Breech?  If so that's a non buy for me.  That shit bugs the hell out of me.

No, it's called Into the Breach. Although Breech is an actual word (it's part of a cannon) so it actually works that way around as well.

Cleared all four islands and the final battle with the Rift Warriors or whatever the first squad is called.  And as soon as i started with any of the other squads it was a total ass kicking by the Vek again.

I found a piece of passive equipment which let my squad block incoming Vek w o taking damage and pretty much abused that.

Plenty of play for $15 and gog was throwing in ftl advanced for free. (At least that was the deal Tuesday.)  

So far my only complaint with Into the Breach is that I wish there was a bit more to the long game. Either through per-run base upgrade decisions like X-COM or improving the "send one pilot back" thing. Maybe let him take back the schematics for one found weapon, or just let pilots level up four times instead of just two. 

But man is it fun. or more accurately satisfying. 

Breach isn't a long game.  Was a bit disappointed when 

Spoiler

The finale was only two battles.  Was totally expecting 3 like in ftl.  And expected a little better reward than just the standard keep one pilot.

Its a good value for sure.

If any of you haven't played Nier: Automata yet and are interested it's 50% off on Steam for the next two weeks. First time it's been this cheap. 

Can't recommend the game highly enough. Although I think the PC port has issues and needs a fan made patch to run properly so keep that in mind. 

Picked up Into the Breach.  Really enjoying it.  It has a very similar aesthetic feel to FTL.  However, I feel like they addressed my main issue with that game, which is that no amount of skill or knowledge of the game can overcome shitty RNG.  Into the Breach feels far more skill-based, as each battle basically comes down to a series of puzzles that you need to solve.  There's RNG at work with the drops you receive, but by and large I don't think there are many drops that are powerful enough to sway a play through compared to simply just upgrading your existing mech weapons.  Rather, based on my experience and a few vids of the game I've watched, the drops you get simply allow or force you to play in different ways to solve each puzzle.

I love the combat system, and the way it prioritizes clever enemy manipulation over simply killing everything in sight.  Makes the game feel very unique compared to other turn-based games.  I also enjoy some of the optional objectives, where sometimes they task you with figuring out ways to destroy mountains or block enemy spawns in the course of battle.  Given that you only have three mechs and limited movement, these can be pretty difficult at times.

On 2018-02-20 at 5:33 PM, Ded As Ned said:

The original Wii controllers are shit.  I remember having the same complaint.  I've never had any latency issues on the PS3/PS4/Xbox360 bluetooth controllers.

Does anyone know if the Wii U controllers have the same problem? I kind of like the Wii games that we got but the controller takes away the fun, if the Wii U controller without any noticeable lag I think I'd get a Wii U, assuming you can play the Wii games on it..

For FTL, Into the Breach and Slay the Spire fans a twitch streamer, Dolphin Chemist plays those fairly regularly and usually at the hardest difficulties.  Watching him taught me a bunch about these games.  There is also a secret squad to unlock.  I think you need all the achievements or beat it with each squad or something like that.

34 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

For FTL, Into the Breach and Slay the Spire fans a twitch streamer, Dolphin Chemist plays those fairly regularly and usually at the hardest difficulties.  Watching him taught me a bunch about these games.  There is also a secret squad to unlock.  I think you need all the achievements or beat it with each squad or something like that.

I'll have to check him out.  I watch a lot of youtube/twitch while gaming and those three games are mainstays on my laptop right now.

I did just pick up Nioh on a PS4 sail and I must say, I am enjoying it so far.  I'm not super far into it, beat the first stage after the tutorial and one of the sub missions that took place in that same area.  Definately a fun game that has enough of a Souls vibe to it that it scratches my Souls itch.

8 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

One of the Achievements says something about "..with all ten squads" IIRC.  So presumably the visible 8, a mixed squad, and the secret squad.

Who is everyone's favorite time traveler?  I always seem to pick Abe Isamu.  Getting Armor for free in one Mech is huge.

I'm sure that there are some great synergies between squads and the recurring pilot powers. What are some of the faves?

13 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

One of the Achievements says something about "..with all ten squads" IIRC.  So presumably the visible 8, a mixed squad, and the secret squad.

Who is everyone's favorite time traveler?  I always seem to pick Abe Isamu.  Getting Armor for free in one Mech is huge.

I'm sure that there are some great synergies between squads and the recurring pilot powers. What are some of the faves?

There are eight squads, plus Random and Custom squads that have their own achievements I believe.

I usually roll with the guy who gets an extra retry each battle.  That's a pretty fucking clutch power.

I've now beaten the game with the base squad, the Steel Judoku (that one was tough), and the Rusted Hulks.  The Rusted Hulks are awesome, especially once you upgrade smoke so it does two damage per turn to enemies.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

Abe is great. Especially in the bash mech in Zenith Guard. My favorite pilot/mech combo is Bethany Jones and the Frozen Titans' ranged unit. Normally it freezes itself along with the target, but not if you have a shield. So you can freeze an enemy every turn as long as you never get hit. 

That's what I'm talking about!  Been using Zenith Guards a lot, so Abe is a natural there.  That Frozen Titan's combo sounds great, though I already got the "Use the Freeze Ray 4 times" achievement.  (Whatever it's actually called.)  Good to know.

Archived