Video Games: It's On Like Donkey Kong

Inigima

On 3/23/2018 at 9:21 AM, Fiddler said:

I have been playing the shit out of Bloodbourne.  I don't know why, but when I played it before it never caught my attention.  With nothing to do all day, I've put way to many hours into the game, lol.  

One of my all-time favorite games.  Wait until you go through the DLC stuff.  I spent at least 6 hours just going after that last boss over and over.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

One of my all-time favorite games.  Wait until you go through the DLC stuff.  I spent at least 6 hours just going after that last boss over and over.

I love the Souls series, so Bloodborne was right up my alley.  I have 2 of the endings so far (have a third character that will be getting the third ending).   All I need to do for the platinum trophy is beat the final chalice boss, which I don't know if I will or not.

Loved the DLC.  There were some enemies that just irritated me, but overall I really enjoyed it.  I had the most trouble with the boss in the clocktower.  I think I fought it nearly 20 times before finally finding someone with a bell ring to help me.

Great game though, especially for free.

All of my students at the moment are playing PUBG and Fortnite. And I do mean all.

They seem to have an interesting concept to them. They also look like essentially the same game, kind of like DOTA and League of Legends.

I finished Witcher 3 but am holding off on the DLC stuff so I have something to look forward to.  I loved Witcher 3.

I have pretty much given up on Mass Effect.  I hate the guy's voice and I hate the Mako buggy and I hate even the idea of an accuracy rating.  I'll probably wait a while and then make a female Shepard and try it again.  Maybe.

I love Bioshock.  Great game.  I play slow to make it last.

I didn't like Skyrim and was wondering why so many people liked it so much.  I took a break and then started again with a new character and it has been a lot better.  I'm really getting into it now.  A complete reversal of my first impression.

I like Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen so far.

Not sure what to make of Dragon Age Inquisition.  I like my character and just ignore the idea of switching around in my group.  I hope that doesn't come back to bite me later on.

Yesterday I bought...

Ori and the Blind Forest

Dark Souls 3

Far Cry 5

LA Noire

The Raven

Borderlands Handsome Collection

We'll see what happens.

12 hours ago, Yukle said:

All of my students at the moment are playing PUBG and Fortnite. And I do mean all.

They seem to have an interesting concept to them. They also look like essentially the same game, kind of like DOTA and League of Legends.

Yes.  My step-daughter has never been into gaming, now all of a sudden she can't get enough of Fortnite.

14 hours ago, Yukle said:

I don't play MOBAs, so I don't know how similar/different DOTA and League are from each other. There are two key differences between PUBG and Fortnite though (plus various small differences that only people really into them will care about): PUBG is a slow-paced (until the end), "realistic" shooter (gotta deal with things like bullet velocity and drop-off), while Fortnite is fast-based, "arcade" shooter. Also, Fortnite has the whole build mechanic; a hold-over from the original version of Fortnite (a horde-based co-op survival game).

Same genre certainly, but there's enough to make someone like one and not the other.

On 3/26/2018 at 0:49 PM, Fiddler said:

I love the Souls series, so Bloodborne was right up my alley.  I have 2 of the endings so far (have a third character that will be getting the third ending).   All I need to do for the platinum trophy is beat the final chalice boss, which I don't know if I will or not.

Loved the DLC.  There were some enemies that just irritated me, but overall I really enjoyed it.  I had the most trouble with the boss in the clocktower.  I think I fought it nearly 20 times before finally finding someone with a bell ring to help me.

Great game though, especially for free.

If you want that platinum this is the time to do it when there will be lots of people co-opping at least for the defiled chalices.  (The Watch Dog and Amygdala in there are the 2nd and 3rd hardest bosses in the game for my money).  Queen Yahrnam is a fun fight for the plat but not particularly hard.

18 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I finished Witcher 3 but am holding off on the DLC stuff so I have something to look forward to.  I loved Witcher 3.

I have pretty much given up on Mass Effect.  I hate the guy's voice and I hate the Mako buggy and I hate even the idea of an accuracy rating.  I'll probably wait a while and then make a female Shepard and try it again.  Maybe.

I love Bioshock.  Great game.  I play slow to make it last.

I didn't like Skyrim and was wondering why so many people liked it so much.  I took a break and then started again with a new character and it has been a lot better.  I'm really getting into it now.  A complete reversal of my first impression.

I like Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen so far.

Not sure what to make of Dragon Age Inquisition.  I like my character and just ignore the idea of switching around in my group.  I hope that doesn't come back to bite me later on.

Yesterday I bought...

Ori and the Blind Forest

Dark Souls 3

Far Cry 5

LA Noire

The Raven

Borderlands Handsome Collection

We'll see what happens.

I think Dragon's Dogma was one of those games that just kind of was...great. It was like, where'd this come from? A lot of fun, great music that matched some of the bigger fights. I miss it, to be honest, though I played it so much, just the thought of six shotting a pack of wolves with my bow makes me feel like not playing.

Ori's pretty great. I just picked up Abyss Odyssey (I think), which is rogue-lite Metroidvania, but it I like it a ton.

On 3/26/2018 at 9:37 AM, aceluby said:

I really wanted to get into it, but it never caught me. I loved Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 quite a bit too. Maybe Bloodbourne was too much, I don't know. I figured a horror themed version of Dark Souls (scary enough already) would be great. I might go back to it.

8 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I really wanted to get into it, but it never caught me. I loved Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 quite a bit too. Maybe Bloodbourne was too much, I don't know. I figured a horror themed version of Dark Souls (scary enough already) would be great. I might go back to it.

I think the key for transitioning to Bloodborne from Dark Souls is to realize:  Don't play like Dark Souls.  BLoodborne is all about being 100% aggressive.  If in doubt, move in and attack always.

3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I think the key for transitioning to Bloodborne from Dark Souls is to realize:  Don't play like Dark Souls.  BLoodborne is all about being 100% aggressive.  If in doubt, move in and attack always.

For sure!  You get health back for being aggressive after getting hit.  And don't underestimate the power of stunning w/ the gun.  Almost all enemies are susceptible to it.  For the bigger bosses, stay close, strafe and attack.

What's weird is that while you can't play BB like DS (defensively), you can be VERY successful playing DS w/ no shield like BB.  DS3 seemed really easy after just finishing a BB run.

Far Cry 5 is decent. The graphics are amazing (it's a major upgrade over FC4), the combat is quite a lot better and the way the game gives you missions is a lot more dynamic and natural than the old Ubi-em-up map of 5 million icons. Also, hurrah for not having to skin an antelope to carry more dynamite, which was always weird. However, the game does have some very annoying tics. It nods at the current political landscape in the US and then does absolutely nothing with it at all, which feels a bit cheap and exploitative. The main story is thus a bit crap.

You also can't quit side-activities. I triggered a seaplane race by accident (I was trying to loot an enemy who'd fallen over a shrine where you activate such missions) and now can't get out of it. The only "reload checkpoint" option reloads the start of the race and killing myself or jumping out of the plan reloads the start as well. Profoundly annoying.

22 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I think so too. I started figuring out there is no shield (blocking obviously), and that you had to master the parry, right? I think I should give it another try. I love werewolves.

23 hours ago, Werthead said:

Oh, the brilliant Spec Ops: The Line is free this weekend. An absolutely phenomenal game which resets Heart of Darkness in a near-future Dubai. Very clever and unexpectedly emotionally distressing game. Certainly worth playing for free.

Thanks for the heads up! That's one I'd been curious about for a long time but never pulled the trigger. 

I see Minit comes out tomorrow. I remember reading about it a while ago. The idea of an adventure type game where you die and respawn every minute is interesting, I honestly don't see how you can make progress that way. I'll wait for reviews to make sure it's actually fun, but I'm definitely interested. 

Played a bit of Far Cry 5 and couldn't figure out why it was so different from the last one I played. Then I remembered I was thinking of the last Just Cause game. You've got a lot more mobility in that series I find myself missing it. 

Far Cry 5 is a very good game. I played the crap out of Far Cry 4, absolutely loved it, and FC5, objectively, is a better game. But, to me, the anonymous deputy that you play the game as makes it a bit soulless. In both Far Cry 3 (which I haven't played yet) and Far Cry 4, your player-character has a name and at least some reason for being there and going through the game activities. But the FC5 player is completely anonymous - no name, no personal history, and no motivation other than trying to stop the cult. The game is good though. I still had a lot of fun with it, but years from now I'll remember Far Cry 4 more fondly I think, and probably Far Cry 3 as well, which many people think is the best one in the series. 

Archived