Long wait over

IronBars

12 hours ago, divica said:

Sanderson publishes books much faster than grrm. It is normal that he has more to talk about with the fans.

Yes sanderson writes books much faster, but hes website has a nive status update bar on how far along with books he is working on etc, it is much better for fans that way, 

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Amazon quite frequently put in placeholder release dates and change them down the road actually. This is not at all the post of someone bitter about being duped by this in the past with other books... :P 

The only real source for any rumour that we would have Winds this year comes from last July (though GRRM explicitly says he doesn’t know if it will be done before Fire and Blood volume 1):

I could care less about fire and blood, half of ADwD was wrote and still took him 6 years to publish it i think, as for winds as i have said before i believe hes not allowed publish it until tv show ends, seen someone post same theory on reddit, fire and blood while interesting in its own way is not worth delaying winds, which he is doing, at this point if winds isnt out before the tv show airs i probably wony even read it, because as i said in a previous post if it isnt released before the tv show airs in 2019 i think thats proof it was delayed so tv show could finish first, 

34 minutes ago, IronBars said:

Yes sanderson writes books much faster, but hes website has a nive status update bar on how far along with books he is working on etc, it is much better for fans that way, 

I could care less about fire and blood, half of ADwD was wrote and still took him 6 years to publish it i think, as for winds as i have said before i believe hes not allowed publish it until tv show ends, seen someone post same theory on reddit, fire and blood while interesting in its own way is not worth delaying winds, which he is doing, at this point if winds isnt out before the tv show airs i probably wony even read it, because as i said in a previous post if it isnt released before the tv show airs in 2019 i think thats proof it was delayed so tv show could finish first, 

Not allowed to publish it before the tv show ends?  Why on earth would GRRM at any point have agreed to something as senseless as that? Sounds like a completely ridiculous rumour to me. But what do I know...

17 minutes ago, Wight nr 121 said:

Not allowed to publish it before the tv show ends?  Why on earth would GRRM at any point have agreed to something as senseless as that? Sounds like a completely ridiculous rumour to me. But what do I know...

Oh, come on, now. There's solid evidence: "seen someone post same theory on reddit".

And isn't it the standard clause in any such contract? "The author isn't allowed to publish the penultimate book in the series until the adaptation is completed"? JK Rowling had to wait with the "Half-blood Prince" until the "Deathly Hallows part 2" hit the theaters, didn't she?

6 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Oh, come on, now. There's solid evidence: "seen someone post same theory on reddit".

And isn't it the standard clause in any such contract? "The author isn't allowed to post the penultimate book in the series until the adaptation is completed"? JK Rowling had to wait with the "Half-blood Prince" until the "Deathly Hallows part 2" hit the theaters, didn't she?

Well said :):):)

2 hours ago, Wight nr 121 said:

2 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

And isn't it the standard clause in any such contract? "The author isn't allowed to publish the penultimate book in the series until the adaptation is completed"? JK Rowling had to wait with the "Half-blood Prince" until the "Deathly Hallows part 2" hit the theaters, didn't she?

Firstly, i didnt say it was evidence said it to show wasnt only one with that thinking, 

Secondly, can either of ye give any other reason for the delay in the winds release? Please dont say hes a slow writer that is a very weak excuse, 

Thirdly, i know my opinion on that is unpopular as this is a fan site of his books so alot of ye think hes a god or something, same as the sandorfans, say anything half way negative and ye try belittle someones opinion, 

Fourthly, to answer why he would do it ? Ask yourself why he would agree to have a tv show in the first place before books even finished? That makes little sense in itself, the most likely answer is to get more people reading the books, its 7 years since ADwD and he spends his time writing blood and fire and devoloping nightflyers or whatever its called for tv, instead of working on winds, so why is he doing that ? To delay winds on purpose, the tv show has most likely a 1000 times the viewers as he has readers, so begs to reason, was agreed if the show got to a certain point and winds wasnt released  - then winds would be delayed, so the payoff for only show watchers wasnt spoiled, whereas most readers would still read the books given the diverging of the stories, 

20 minutes ago, IronBars said:

Firstly, i didnt say it was evidence said it to show wasnt only one with that thinking, 

Secondly, can either of ye give any other reason for the delay in the winds release? Please dont say hes a slow writer that is a very weak excuse,

"How much is 2+2, and don't say 4, because it's lame?".

10 hours ago, Quaithe from Asshai said:

It is possible that the bookstore was approached by the publisher for sales estimate. September 6, 2018 is a Thursday which is a typical release date (the day that retailers receive the book not the day its available to the public). So maybe GRRM is close to finishing the book and his publisher is trying to cut the logistics side now.
Approaching bookstores and retailers is an integral part of the publishing industry. Publishers use this step to know how many copies to print and the required ad campaign.

Its also possible that the date is an error from the bookstore. I'm hoping its not.

The thing is, there's no comment from GRRM on this supposed leak. I know I've posted a comment asking him about it, and he deleted it. I'm sure many others have asked the same question. Maybe he's close to finishing the book.

This sounds well-informed and, since it is your first post, I suspect you only speak when you know what you are talking about. So thank you for insights about the book industry. I had been guesstimating a November release for TWOW, but September would be even better.

I notice that Sept. 6 is three days after Labor Day in the U.S. As a potential release date, that is unfortunate for the U.S. economy, as many smart people will be calling in sick or taking a personal day on the day the book is released. If they released it the Friday before Labor Day, we would all have the long weekend to do some uninterrupted reading. ;)

47 minutes ago, IronBars said:

Thirdly, i know my opinion on that is unpopular as this is a fan site of his books so alot of ye think hes a god or something, same as the sandorfans, say anything half way negative and ye try belittle someones opinion, 

Fourthly, to answer why he would do it ? Ask yourself why he would agree to have a tv show in the first place before books even finished? That makes little sense in itself, the most likely answer is to get more people reading the books, its 7 years since ADwD and he spends his time writing blood and fire and devoloping nightflyers or whatever its called for tv, instead of working on winds, so why is he doing that ? To delay winds on purpose, the tv show has most likely a 1000 times the viewers as he has readers, so begs to reason, was agreed if the show got to a certain point and winds wasnt released  - then winds would be delayed, so the payoff for only show watchers wasnt spoiled, whereas most readers would still read the books given the diverging of the stories, 

You are participating in a section of the forum dedicated to discussion of the ASOIAF books. Your comment indicated that you wouldn't read the next book if it didn't come out before the next season of the fan-fiction tv show. Because we are here to discuss books we love, it is natural that you would get some pushback for a comment that indicates a willingness to substitute the tv show for the books.

If you don't appreciate that the books are complex and well-written, why post comments here? It's like throwing a snow ball at a kid on the playground and expecting that he not chase you or throw one back at you. On the other hand, there's no reason to belittle you because petty, bitter comments already expose that aspect of a person's character.

The novels are much more complex - rich in symbolism, allusion, foreshadowing, wordplay - than the histories. Posting thoughtful comments in this forum can take a lot of thought and effort, so I can't imagine the brainpower, time and revision necessary to create the novels in the first place. I understand that a lot of people read only for the plot and I don't begrudge them that. If you hang around this forum and you don't absorb that there is much more than plot involved in these books, that is an option available to you. Making unanswered complaints and baseless, petulant criticisms, however, is not an option available to you.

I'm sure that GRRM expected to be done with the books long ago. First of all, he expected to write a trilogy. Second of all, he probably didn't expect the show would turn into such a big deal. He ended up getting involved in writing scripts, going to Comic Cons and other publicity tours. From what I've seen in interviews, he considers these books to be his Lord of the Rings, and he is not going to speed up the writing just to appease superficial people who want to know who dies in the end. These are his literary legacy, and he wants the books to be right when they hit the stores.

I'm sure you know all of this. No reason to respond with more tantrums. If you came here to bash the author or question his motives, you are in the wrong place. As you already know.

27 minutes ago, Seams said:

You are participating in a section of the forum dedicated to discussion of the ASOIAF books. Your comment indicated that you wouldn't read the next book if it didn't come out before the next season of the fan-fiction tv show. Because we are here to discuss books we love, it is natural that you would get some pushback for a comment that indicates a willingness to substitute the tv show for the books.

If you don't appreciate that the books are complex and well-written, why post comments here? It's like throwing a snow ball at a kid on the playground and expecting that he not chase you or throw one back at you. On the other hand, there's no reason to belittle you because petty, bitter comments already expose that aspect of a person's character.

The novels are much more complex - rich in symbolism, allusion, foreshadowing, wordplay - than the histories. Posting thoughtful comments in this forum can take a lot of thought and effort, so I can't imagine the brainpower, time and revision necessary to create the novels in the first place. I understand that a lot of people read only for the plot and I don't begrudge them that. If you hang around this forum and you don't absorb that there is much more than plot involved in these books, that is an option available to you. Making unanswered complaints and baseless, petulant criticisms, however, is not an option available to you.

I'm sure that GRRM expected to be done with the books long ago. First of all, he expected to write a trilogy. Second of all, he probably didn't expect the show would turn into such a big deal. He ended up getting involved in writing scripts, going to Comic Cons and other publicity tours. From what I've seen in interviews, he considers these books to be his Lord of the Rings, and he is not going to speed up the writing just to appease superficial people who want to know who dies in the end. These are his literary legacy, and he wants the books to be right when they hit the stores.

I'm sure you know all of this. No reason to respond with more tantrums. If you came here to bash the author or question his motives, you are in the wrong place. As you already know.

Wow you just proved my point.

And so you know, i mentioned not reading winds, if came out after the show because as i said that proves was delayed on purpose so the show finished first in my opinion.

From everything you said seems you think i started on the show and then read the books, that is not the case, read the books long before the tv show was mentioned even as a possibility. 

I read books from many authors, some bigger and more complex than game of thrones, with no where near the wait time inbetween books,

So i put fourth a very likely (in my opinion) reason why the book is so delayed, i did not throw a tantrum, about anything, and calling me superficial is both wrong and ignorant, and didnt bash the author anywhere, questioning his motives is also what a forum is for.......why he did this is the book or that etc, its been 7 years waiting for winds so i think it is more than fair to put fourth an opinion as to why the delay is so long, 

In fact its you who threw a tantrum there just like i had previously mentioned someone could do, everything you said was based on assumptions and ignorance, 

Fyi - im a very old member of this forum, i forgot my log in information because hadnt logged in, in 2/4 years so i just created a new profile

Archived