Ursula Le Guin, 1929-2018

Lies And Perfidy

So very sad.  "A Wizard of Earthsea" was required reading for my 10th grade English class.  I'm so thankful to my teacher for including that book on our reading list and introducing me to her books.  A friend of mine lent me that book and the sequels (out at the time) and I read them all quickly in sequence.  Still have my now yellow with age old copies.  I'm somewhat grateful I haven't read all her books and that I still have ones to discover and enjoy.

I am surprised how much this hurts. I loved what I read by her, but feel I haven't read enough by far.

I did read the Earthsea books early in my fantasy reading, and they have always shaped my expectations (in addition to eg the Riddlemaster books by Patricia A McKillip).

I feel more blindsided by this than any other celebrity death within the last few years -- which I suppose is odd since I knew she was well over 80.  But she was just one of those people I never thought of being gone. I agree she will probably be remembered as the greatest speculative fiction author of her generation. 

It's sad news.

I've never read any of the Earthsea books but I have read a few of her Science Fiction books - I thought both The Dispossessed and The Lathe of Heaven were superb. The Left Hand of Darkness was also good although I felt it took a while to get going.

I've said this before, elsewhere, but Le Guin should be recognised as one of the greatest writers of her generation, full stop. She's that good. Her critical writing, her prose, her imagination, her empathy, all absolutely incredible. Such a huge loss to us all.

Archived