Character appreciation thread

One-eyed Misbehavin

Name a character and explain why you think said character deserves more appreciation or   Simply "shout out" some of your favorite characters throughout the whole history of our favorite series. I have 2 to  get the ball rolling.

1. Smalljon umber 

Everyone loves to talk about Robb's terrible decisions  but having this man and his personal guard during his battle with Jamie and in the red wedding  was absolutely a great decision.   During the red wedding while crossbowmen are raining down arrows from the rafters  this man did the one possible thing in that situation that could help to protect his king.  He flipped an entire eating hall table  over the top of Rob and temporarily gave him  some cover and to top it off Dodd fighting for his King 

2. Gwayne Corbray

All this man did was match Daemon Blackfyre blow for blow for nearly an entire hour. (Can you imagine) Yet somehow he's left off most of the "best swordsman/warrior" posts

Shout outs to Maester Luwin who is probably the most likeable character in the entire series in my estimation.  He has wisdom and patience in spades.  His managing of the egos and emotions of Catelyn, Robb, Bran, and Theon was gracefully done.  He provided prudent counsel and was assertive without being too aggressive.  He was not falsely modest, and yet he was not prideful, ever aware of his duty but never a slave to his duty.  I wonder how a POV from him would have compared to Maester Cressen's.  Anyways, here's to you Maester Luwin - "you da real mvp."

Um... my namesake maybe? Comfortable in mail and leather on the battlefield, part of the king's honor guard, following mama bear around like a good heiress, happy to tell other women about the joys of holding an axe in a hand and a suckling babe in the other, and able to dance and enjoy herself at a feast. I hope we learn more about the remaining members of the Mormont family in the books to come. 

Also shout out to Osha and her rough wisdom, her adaptability and her willingness to do so much for the Stark kids whom she had every reason to despise. 

All the boys at the Wall. Love them. Much needed comic relief, but very believable and surprisingly well written and consistent. Pyp and Grenn and Toad and Edd, all of them. 

Oh and Septon Meribald. Love the guy. Together with Lady Catelyn's devotion he really warmed my heart towards the Faith. 

6 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

Also shout out to Osha and her rough wisdom, her adaptability and her willingness to do so much for the Stark kids whom she had every reason to despise. 

Osha's loyalty to the Stark children is so amazing.

Shout out to Hodor, because Hodor.

Maester Aemon. I wish we had more with him. Along with Maribald's talk about the broken man, Maester Aemon talks with Jon about love. honor and duty, and kill the boy, are two of the best moments in the books.

1 hour ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Shout outs to Maester Luwin who is probably the most likeable character in the entire series in my estimation.  He has wisdom and patience in spades.  His managing of the egos and emotions of Catelyn, Robb, Bran, and Theon was gracefully done.  He provided prudent counsel and was assertive without being too aggressive.  He was not falsely modest, and yet he was not prideful, ever aware of his duty but never a slave to his duty.  I wonder how a POV from him would have compared to Maester Cressen's.  Anyways, here's to you Maester Luwin - "you da real mvp."

Best analysis of Luwin I've heard. 

Following Jamie's attempted murder of bran, Luwub reminds Catelyn that she has duties/obligations that require her authority..... He knew she would flip out and handled it as you perfectly said gracefully.

He also has some of the best quotes 

"White Harbor . . . the Umbers . . . I do not know . . . war everywhere . . . each man against his neighbor, and winter coming . . . such folly, such black mad folly . . ." Maester Luwin reached up and grasped Bran's forearm, his fingers closing with a desperatestrength. "You must be strong now. Strong."

"Folly and desperation are ofttimes hard to tell apart." 

"Sadly no victory is without cost"

He certainly is da real MVP 

22 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

Um... my namesake maybe? Comfortable in mail and leather on the battlefield, part of the king's honor guard, following mama bear around like a good heiress, happy to tell other women about the joys of holding an axe in a hand and a suckling babe in the other, and able to dance and enjoy herself at a feast. I hope we learn more about the remaining members of the Mormont family in the books to come. 

All the boys at the Wall. Love them. Much needed comic relief, but very believable and surprisingly well written and consistent. Pyp and Grenn and Toad and Edd, all of them. 

Oh and Septon Meribald. Love the guy. Together with Lady Catelyn's devotion he really warmed my heart towards the Faith. 

Not maybe... Absolutely.

Very nice

23 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

Osha's loyalty to the Stark children is so amazing.

Shout out to Hodor, because Hodor.

Maester Aemon. I wish we had more with him. Along with Maribald's talk about the broken man, Maester Aemon talks with Jon about love. honor and duty, and kill the boy, are two of the best moments in the books.

Aemon's death was the saddest for me personally. :( 

Aemon's blind white eyes came open. "Egg?" he said, as the rain streamed down his cheeks. "Egg I dreamed that I was old."

Tears ran from his blind white eyes at that admission. "Death should hold no fear for a man as old as me, but it does. Isn't that silly? It is always dark where I am, so why should I fear the darkness? Yet I cannot help but wonder what will follow, when the last warmth leaves my body. Will I feast forever in the Father's golden hall as the septons say? Will I talk with Egg again, find Dareon whole and happy, hear my sisters singing to their children? What if the horselords have the truth of it? Will I ride through the night sky forever on a stallion made of flame? Or must I return again to this vale of sorrow? Who can say, truly? Who has been beyond the wall of death to see? Only the wights, and we know what they are like. We know."

So I read the replies and thought, yeah! with each one.  Who wasn't crushed when Dacey died so bravely?  Who didn't wish for a grandfather like Luwin?  Who wouldn't love to spend a month with Osha on her terms?  To access a genuine goodness and wisdom like Aemon's? To have a friend like Hodor?  To have a place like the Nights Watch that could rehabilitate society's unwanted with a knightly brotherhood instead of our current penal systems?  I have no doubt that there will be many more we all remember with excitement and affinity.  And like when I quote those page long replies in topics, I wrote my character 1st to come back to the intro.   Nice job, @One-eyed Misbehavin 1st reply has me already relating backwards.   

Sam The Slayer.  

For all the lessons in love and loyalty, in real bravery and kindness.  For the incredible feats he performed to not only save Gilly and Jon, but to raise them higher and give them more.   For the promises he keeps in his heart for no other reason than he made them.  For his gentle nature and wild curiosity.   For his ability to work abstracts out.  For his honesty despite shame and hopelessness.  For the vows he made and broke.  For all the characters from around Planetos who admire him and despise him until they learn better.  For his keen mind and sharp conscience.  For all the good he has done and will do.  

Willas Tyrell

Why is he still single even though he's the heir to the Reach and is well past marrying age? Is he saving himself for Daenerys in case the Tyrells run into problems with the Lannisters? Perhaps it goes back further and he had a secret marriage contract with Dany like Viserys had with the other Targaryen loyalist, the Martells? Maybe in the beginning the Tyrells thought they would not fair well with the Baratheon's as Kings, so like the Martells they sought to bring back Targaryen rule. Stannis even marries into a family from the Reach, the Florents, who the Tyrells consider a threat to their rule of the Reach. Had Viserys married Arianne they'd be King and Queen. Then the best marriage for Dany would be the heir to Highgarden. However Loras became Renly's squire and everything else changed because of that, but what if that didn't happen?

Dolorous Edd Tollett

Why did he really join the NW? How far does his family descend from the main House Tollett? What type of shenanigans are going on between Edd and the spearwives in Long Barrow. What will be his comment when he finds out Jon's been stabbed? Will Bowen Marsh try to arrest Edd because he was one of Jon's closest brothers?

5 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Name a character and explain why you think said character deserves more appreciation or   Simply "shout out" some of your favorite characters throughout the whole history of our favorite series. I have 2 to  get the ball rolling.

I assume you want a character that is relatively minor and goes unmentioned in most of the discussions.   

I like the people surrounding Daenerys.  Among them, Barristan, Jorah, Missandei, and Greyworm get a lot of love from the Daenerys fandom such as myself.   Dany is like a rock star with her own following.  Skahaz and Belwas rarely get enough appreciation in my opinion.   Irri and Jhiqui too rarely get enough love.  I pick them.  Those two girls are fun to read about.  Silly high school aged Dothraki girls in service to Khaleesi.

9 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

So I read the replies and thought, yeah! with each one.  Who wasn't crushed when Dacey died so bravely?  Who didn't wish for a grandfather like Luwin?  Who wouldn't love to spend a month with Osha on her terms?  To access a genuine goodness and wisdom like Aemon's? To have a friend like Hodor?  To have a place like the Nights Watch that could rehabilitate society's unwanted with a knightly brotherhood instead of our current penal systems?  I have no doubt that there will be many more we all remember with excitement and affinity.  And like when I quote those page long replies in topics, I wrote my character 1st to come back to the intro.   Nice job, @One-eyed Misbehavin 1st reply has me already relating backwards.   

Sam The Slayer.  

For all the lessons in love and loyalty, in real bravery and kindness.  For the incredible feats he performed to not only save Gilly and Jon, but to raise them higher and give them more.   For the promises he keeps in his heart for no other reason than he made them.  For his gentle nature and wild curiosity.   For his ability to work abstracts out.  For his honesty despite shame and hopelessness.  For the vows he made and broke.  For all the characters from around Planetos who admire him and despise him until they learn better.  For his keen mind and sharp conscience.  For all the good he has done and will do.  

100 thanks for the chivalrous courtesy and extremely kind words as always.

May I add Sam's incredible resolve to overcome an impossibly overbearing father (the priest ritual in bull's blood is terryfing) who also happened to take away his only solace of his mother/sisters (Finding a friend in Jon was huge for him) 

Sam the self admitted coward who killed an other. Helluva character ser 

54 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

I assume you want a character that is relatively minor and goes unmentioned in most of the discussions.   

I like the people surrounding Daenerys.  Among them, Barristan, Jorah, Missandei, and Greyworm get a lot of love from the Daenerys fandom such as myself.   Dany is like a rock star with her own following.  Skahaz and Belwas rarely get enough appreciation in my opinion.   Irri and Jhiqui too rarely get enough love.  I pick them.  Those two girls are fun to read about.  Silly high school aged Dothraki girls in service to Khaleesi.

Anybody who deserves a shoutout POV or minuscule characters.

I'll add the half-hand and squire dalbridge for each sacrificing themselves 

Every time something like this comes up in conversation I can’t help but think about the first pages of A Game of Thrones and the badassery of Ser Waymar Royce.  Yes, he’s arrogant and looks down at the more experienced Will and Gared, but my god did he go out in style.  “Dance with me then” has to be one of the hands down ballsiest and legendary quotes of the whole series when we look at his situation, mano-a-mano against a white walker.  So badass.  

10 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Aemon's death was the saddest for me personally. :(

For me too. Maester Aemon was such a big piece without taking a lot of space. What made me sadder was the things he didn't have the chance to know when he was alive. I think GRRM said he gave Maester Aemon the most peaceful death (I think he's the one who said that), but man, up until the moment he died, he was very tormented and his body is still in a cask of rum, maybe being shuttled to Meereen and I'm not okay with that. I hope we'll get more with him in the coming Sam chapters.

3 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

For me too. Maester Aemon was such a big piece without taking a lot of space. What made me sadder was the things he didn't have the chance to know when he was alive. I think GRRM said he gave Maester Aemon the most peaceful death (I think he's the one who said that), but man, up until the moment he died, he was very tormented and his body is still in a cask of rum, maybe being shuttled to Meereen and I'm not okay with that. I hope we'll get more with him in the coming Sam chapters.

Oh, I think it's rather fitting if Aemon's preserved body ends up in Meereen where his great grandniece is.  

12 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Strong Belwas is deserving of a shout out.  I first thought the man a slow witted tub of guts but he impressed me with his skills.  He handles his weight very well.  A guy the size of a refrigerator shouldn't move that well but he does.

Shout out also to Big Walder Frey because that little guy is already playing the game of thrones.  He's my candidate to follow after Walder.  

Jorah Mormont has always been one of my favorite characters. Not a terrible person, even if he's made some bad decisions, it's always been for understandable reasons. His stubbornness and pride often get the better of him. The man wins a knighthood and literally wins his wife by living a fairy tale. Then desperately tries to make her happy and fails, you can almost see how he talks himself into selling those poachers into slavery. They were dead or going to the Watch anyways, and slavery is likely better than either. Then he becomes a spy who falls in love with his target and becomes wholly dedicated to her, but in the end that burns him. Then things start getting more than a little rough for him. I hope he ends up with some sort of happy ending. That all of it was worth it somehow, he's been through a lot.

42 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Oh, I think it's rather fitting if Aemon's preserved body ends up in Meereen where his great grandniece is.  

Strong Belwas is deserving of a shout out.  I first thought the man a slow witted tub of guts but he impressed me with his skills.  He handles his weight very well.  A guy the size of a refrigerator shouldn't move that well but he does.

Shout out also to Big Walder Frey because that little guy is already playing the game of thrones.  He's my candidate to follow after Walder.  

Belwas is absolutely amazing. But the whole taking a cut from a blade on purpose is extremely dangerous to say the least lol but I agree his agility/size combo is other-worldly 

12 hours ago, TheKingInTheNorth3 said:

Every time something like this comes up in conversation I can’t help but think about the first pages of A Game of Thrones and the badassery of Ser Waymar Royce.  Yes, he’s arrogant and looks down at the more experienced Will and Gared, but my god did he go out in style.  “Dance with me then” has to be one of the hands down ballsiest and legendary quotes of the whole series when we look at his situation, mano-a-mano against a white walker.  So badass.  

I was going to say him as well, despite only being given a few pages with him he was most certainly a character and his last moments were something indeed.

17 hours ago, Back door hodor said:

Shout out to Big Bucket Wull, who wants to be six and twenty again....

Agreed!  I can't wait to find out if he will feel the splatter of Bolton blood across his face in TWOW.  I never tire of reading what Big Bucket has to say, more please George. :)

''I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night. What men want does not matter. Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue''.

Piper & Vance

Clement Piper and his son Marq alongside their partner in crime Karyl Vance are my favourite minor characters.  I love the way they harass the Lannister army throughout the Riverlands from as early as AGOT and are still scheming and helping the BWB all the way through to ADWD.  Of all the riverlords they seem to be the leaders when it comes to Riverlands resistance.

5 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Strong Belwas is deserving of a shout out. 

He certainly does, great call.  :cheers:  The way he speaks about himself in the first person is so funny.  :lol:

''Bad fighting, good dying. Strong Belwas hates it when they scream.''

Nimble Dick Crabb     

Simply hilarious!!   :rofl:

"Ser Clarence Crab would have wiped his hairy arse with your Perfect Knight, m'lady. If they'd ever met, there's be one more bloody head sitting on the shelf at the Whispers, you ask me. 'I should have used the magic sword,' it'd be saying to all the other heads. 'I should have used the bloody sword.".

Archived