Professional Wrestling: Smark I

Xray the Enforcer

I just finished night one and I don't think the crowd was bad at all.  They were a bit quiet during some of the early matches, but they were hot as hell for that six man tag and for the finals, along with a couple of the earlier matches.

My main takeaway from night one was that Flash Morgan Webster was the Cedric Alexander of this tournament.  Just a star-making performance that made me want to watch more of him.  Kid was phenomenal.  

That six man tag was awesome as well.  I was pretty sure O'Reilly was actually dead at the end.  

I also loved the booking of having Banks get cheap-shotted after the match and then having his shoulder injured right as he's about to face a guy whose submission finisher is a shoulder hold.  It's the kind of simple and effective storytelling the main roster is utterly incapable of.  Triple H and his team pull it off in damn near every tournament.

Overall, great show.  Looking forward to watching the second part in a day or two.

When I commented on the crowd it was during the first half, they definitely got louder. But night 2 is still a better crowd.

47 minutes ago, briantw said:

That six man tag was awesome as well.  I was pretty sure O'Reilly was actually dead at the end.  

He's fantastic, probably my favourtie of UE.

Also can't remember if he was wearing it on Night one, but Nigel McGuinness is wearing his Blue Peter badge.

Now onto: Velveteen, EC3 / Ricochet, Black match. This should be good.

Got caught up on the two latest episodes of Lucha Underground the past two nights.  Show isn't starting off slow like last season.  They hit the ground running and episode three has an incredible three way elimination casket match between Mil Muertes, Phoenix, and Jeremiah Crane.  If the idea of that match doesn't stir something in your loins, you're not a wrestling fan.  Mil and Crane together means they're going to be beating the shit out of each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Pentagon revealing himself as a member of the crowd and then demolishing Cage with a chairshot this week on Lucha Underground was one of the best wrestling moments I can remember watching.  Made me grin like a fucking kid.

51 minutes ago, DMC said:

So who's hyped for EXTREME RULES?!?  ....Bueller?

I completely forgot it's in Pittsburgh, and I don't even think I'd go if I'd get in for free. I did finally sign up for New Japan to check it out, and have been impressed so far.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

So who's hyped for EXTREME RULES?!?  ....Bueller?

'Extreme' in the sense that 8 of the 12 matches are perfectly normal no stipulation matches...

I'd like to give Lucha Underground a go, but between NJPW and what WWE I watch, I've already got enough wrestling. I'm still catching up on the G1 Special.

47 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

completely forgot it's in Pittsburgh, and I don't even think I'd go if I'd get in for free.

I'm in Pitt as well, and yeah, I wouldn't go for free either.

5 hours ago, The EnglishBear said:

I'd like to give Lucha Underground a go...

You should, as it's the best weekly wrestling show on television and it has a wholly unique style compared to other promotions.

No, No, No. He better not appear on tv. I want him gone. His legacy is important, sure, don't ignore it. But the prick's a fucking racist, and no amount of mealy mouthed apologising will change that. He adds nothing, and tells a sizeable proportion of the fanbase, that they're not welcome in WWE. Mark Hnery was right, that wound isn't healed.

2 minutes ago, The EnglishBear said:

No, No, No. He better not appear on tv. I want him gone. His legacy is important, sure, don't ignore it. But the prick's a fucking racist, and no amount of mealy mouthed apologising will change that. He adds nothing, and tells a sizeable proportion of the fanbase, that they're not welcome in WWE. Mark Hnery was right, that wound isn't healed.

Supposedly he's backstage tonight, so my money would be on him making an appearance.

Every time I think they're getting better; they name the Warrior Award, or The Mullah battle royale, or bring back Hogan, or have Cass beat up a dwarf, or on and on.

Sanity/New Day is on the pre show, because the bookers are fucking morons.

God I'm in such a bad mood.

5 minutes ago, The EnglishBear said:

Every time I think they're getting better; they name the Warrior Award, or The Mullah battle royale, or bring back Hogan, or have Cass beat up a dwarf, or on and on.

Sanity/New Day is on the pre show, because the bookers are fucking morons.

God I'm in such a bad mood.

Nothing's gonna change until Vince dies or retires, so either get used to it or stop watching WWE like I have.

Between NXT, NJPW, and Lucha Underground, there's more than enough good wrestling to go around.  No need to be a slave to the WWE empire.  Hell, even Impact is rebounding now and getting interesting thanks to their Lucha Underground partnership.

*Deep Breath* Positive thoughts.

gonna tag spoilers cos not everyone'll be watching this live.

Spoiler

B Team Won! Are being treated as a real thing, 'How do you think Stretch Armstrong felt when he landed on the moon?'

Fuck off Coachman, you're awful. I want my Booker back!

Archived