Professional Wrestling: Smark I

Xray the Enforcer

6 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Definitely a contender, AJ/Nakamura 2 could be up there too.

Of the weekend I think I'm most excited for the 6 man Ladder match on Takeover.

Speaking of which:

https://twitter.com/therealec3/status/981329536574001153

Yeah, that ladder match is going to be awesome.  They should add Ohno into it.  Dude deserves to be on the card.  He's always having great matches on the weekly shows and his match at the last Takeover with Velveteen Dream was really fun.

I'm thinking Ricochet wins.  Then you can either have him feud with Cole or ECIII next while the other of those two challenges Black for the NXT Title, assuming he wins.

Well, that delivered pretty much exactly how I expected it to.  Main event was incredible.  Ladder match was fantastic.  NXT Title match was almost as good as Almas/Gargano.  Other two matches were good. 

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Well, that delivered pretty much exactly how I expected it to.  Main event was incredible.  Ladder match was fantastic.  NXT Title match was almost as good as Almas/Gargano.  Other two matches were good. 

I thought the womens match was shite.

Ladder match was crazy and loved the NxT title match, even better than Gargano and Almas for me. Main evemt was exactly what I expected and perfect although I thought Ciampa would win.

Tag match was also great with some unexpected shit going down.

Would be a 10 out of 10 ppv for me if it wasn't for the womens match.

I thought Moon/Baszler was good.  It wasn't going to steal match of the night or anything, but it told a good story.  Ember got to look strong in what will probably be her last NXT match (well, she'll might get her re-match, but I'm guessing they'll burn that off on a weekly NXT show rather than the next Takeover), while Baszler got her ass kicked but looked tough because she gutted out the arm injury and put Ember to sleep.  I also really liked that bit at the end where Baszler grabbed her own hair to keep the choke hold on because her other arm was shot.

While there are a few potential show stealers tonight, it's gonna be tough for WM to beat that Takeover performance from last night. I can't remember anyone getting heat like Ciampa last night for a long time, not even Reigns or Cena seemed close to it when the crowds were turning on them. Truly a lost art. Did anyone catch the Cody/Omega match? For all the hype, I have a hard time believing they would've topped the ladder match, Almas/Black, or Gargano/Ciampa. NXT is loaded with top end talent, should be an even better watch going forward.

Cody just isn't that exciting in ring for all his on mic talent.

With regards to last nights womens match I am just not a fan of either of the women so it all just fell flat for me. Everyone I discuss wrestling with other than this thread thought it was poor too so I know it isnt just me hah.

2 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

While there are a few potential show stealers tonight, it's gonna be tough for WM to beat that Takeover performance from last night. I can't remember anyone getting heat like Ciampa last night for a long time, not even Reigns or Cena seemed close to it when the crowds were turning on them. Truly a lost art. Did anyone catch the Cody/Omega match? For all the hype, I have a hard time believing they would've topped the ladder match, Almas/Black, or Gargano/Ciampa. NXT is loaded with top end talent, should be an even better watch going forward.

I don't think Cody has ever had a five star match in his entire career, so I doubt he'd top Gargano/Ciampa.  From what I've read, his match with Omega was in the three star range and very overbooked, which makes sense as that wasn't the blow off for the feud.

2 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Cody just isn't that exciting in ring for all his on mic talent.

With regards to last nights womens match I am just not a fan of either of the women so it all just fell flat for me. Everyone I discuss wrestling with other than this thread thought it was poor too so I know it isnt just me hah.

Yeah Cody is a tough sell for me. He's been doing some great heel work during the build up to his match with Omega last night, but I keep falling back to that if he wasn't Dusty's son, he wouldn't be getting all the breaks he's gotten in ROH and NJPW. Same goes with his wife, they just seem like they're riding coattails, especially with the Bullet Club thing. I'm glad he's got the career freedom that he wasn't getting as Stardust, but he's not a top guy IMO.

Womens title match last night was ok in my book. Not great, not horrible, just ok. I don't think Baszler is good enough in the ring yet to carry the division, and almost seems like she's getting pushed due to Rousey coming on board. Kairi Sane would seemingly be a much better option as champ if Moon is heading to the main roster, but I'll give Baszler a little slack and see where it goes.

11 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Womens title match last night was ok in my book. Not great, not horrible, just ok. I don't think Baszler is good enough in the ring yet to carry the division, and almost seems like she's getting pushed due to Rousey coming on board. Kairi Sane would seemingly be a much better option as champ if Moon is heading to the main roster, but I'll give Baszler a little slack and see where it goes.

I think the issue is that they didn't want to go from face champ to face champ, and I also think that Moon losing to face Kairi instead of getting choked out by heel Shayna and passing out rather than tapping would have made her look worse in the long run.  The bulk of the top women in NXT right now are faces.  You've got Nikki Cross, Kairi Sane, Dakota Kai, and Candice LeRae all as potential challengers, and so a heel champ was almost required to move things forward, or we just would have had Baszler challenging at the next Takeover too.  The only other heel worth a damn right now is Bianca Belair, and they are understandably giving her the slow burn push while she learns and improves.  I guess you've got the Iconic Duo too, but they haven't been on TV in ages and I have a feeling they'll be main roster bound this week along with Ember.

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think the issue is that they didn't want to go from face champ to face champ, and I also think that Moon losing to face Kairi instead of getting choked out by heel Shayna and passing out rather than tapping would have made her look worse in the long run.  The bulk of the top women in NXT right now are faces.  You've got Nikki Cross, Kairi Sane, Dakota Kai, and Candice LeRae all as potential challengers, and so a heel champ was almost required to move things forward, or we just would have had Baszler challenging at the next Takeover too.  The only other heel worth a damn right now is Bianca Belair, and they are understandably giving her the slow burn push while she learns and improves.  I guess you've got the Iconic Duo too, but they haven't been on TV in ages and I have a feeling they'll be main roster bound this week along with Ember.

Appreciate the breakdown, as I haven't been able to keep up with NXT as much as I'd like to over the last few months, so it's good to get your perspective on it. Makes a little more sense when looking at it that way.

12 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Appreciate the breakdown, as I haven't been able to keep up with NXT as much as I'd like to over the last few months, so it's good to get your perspective on it. Makes a little more sense when looking at it that way.

Yeah, I also think they felt they needed to strike while the iron was hot with Shayna.  She's somewhat limited in the ring, which is understandable when you consider that she's only been in wrestling for three years, but she's got great presence and plays her heel character very well.  She's also 37, so unlike most of the other women in NXT, there's more incentive to push her now, whereas younger girls like Kairi and Nikki haven't even hit thirty yet and have presumably long careers ahead of them.  Finally, it's tough to push someone as a monster heel and have them constantly losing.  Baszler already lost to Moon once and lost clean to Sane as well at the end of the Mae Young Classic.  She needed this win to legitimize her.

I've seen a lot of people complain that she's being pushed solely because she's from MMA, but I don't think that's entirely fair.  This isn't a Ronda Rousey situation where someone is being pushed solely because of who they are rather than based on any merits.  Baszler actually has formal wrestling training and spent a couple of years working in the indies before WWE signed her, and she also plays a very believable smug heel character.  She's not a complete performer yet, but she's miles ahead of Rousey, especially when it comes to character work.  Rousey seems like she's barely able to string a couple of sentences together.  Baszler came into WWE a developed character.

Damn, just finished it. The ladder was everything I wanted, and the Strong Heel turn. Ciampa lost teeth right? The was something white sitting on the mat after Gargano kicked him. I liked the Title match, but if I'm honest I didn't really see Black's appeal, Almas and Vega is just more interesting to me.

11 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Damn, just finished it. The ladder was everything I wanted, and the Strong Heel turn. Ciampa lost teeth right? The was something white sitting on the mat after Gargano kicked him. I liked the Title match, but if I'm honest I didn't really see Black's appeal, Almas and Vega is just more interesting to me.

I'd imagine Almas and Vega are going to be main roster bound this week. 

Archived