What have you learned since coming on this site?

Varysblackfyre321

13 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Lemongate is still the most mystifying thing to me. This is the fandom that invented D+D=T and Varys the Merman, yet the idea that the house with the red door may not have been in Braavos is what causes people to lose their minds. I just don't get it. 

It was my eye-opener regarding the whole Harrenhall tourney/Rhaeanna/Dany looking like Ashara Dayne's daughter/tKotLT-knot and I don't get why it would be so objectionable either.

A huge amount.  As the only internet discussion group / on-line book club I have been a member of I've

learned a huge amount about the series from some very well-informed, researched and well argued posts on topics and characters too numerous to mention (special mention for the re-read threads for the real depth of literary discussion and criticism)

been surprised and delighted by some clever writing from GRRM that I didn't understand the full extent of after an initial read through until some sharp observations and critical reasoning on this forum made it leap out

understood how accurately this forum reflects real life with some posters wishing to engage in genuine discussion and explore possibilities while others arrive with a pet theory or a confrontational / adversarial attitude and argue it come what may and however fruitlessly

appreciated what a huge cultural phenomenon this series has become (ok, as much if not more due to HBO) and how GRRM's gift for storytelling has captured the imagination of so many who are prepared to debate the broad themes of the series and the minutiae of minor houses until the early hours

understood that that enthusiasm has unleashed a lot of posters' creative imagination (and hopefully started some writing as a hobby) leading to some thought-provoking, whacky or flat-out crackpot theories and occasionally pure fan-fiction

been perplexed that for all the richness of GRRM's writing and the depth and complexity of the characters that a number of people identify with one or more characters, pick a side and then build up a strong dislike even antipathy for other main characters (e.g. I don't get why you can't like Jon and Dany, Sansa and Arya, i sure do)(and the sports team analogy is a good one)

Specifically I learned* R+L=J from this forum many, many years ago when I was waiting for AFFC to be published.  I knew there was something fishy about Ned's story about Jon but I had not made that deduction.  I was so appalled that a huge reveal that I had not worked out was laid bare that I avoided the forum for years afterwards to avoid any other *spoilers* but my love of the story and the long waits for more material drew me back

*(disclaimer: ok, ok, not yet proven conclusively but it looks extremely likely to be the case)

I learned the aegon being a pretender theory here i never thought he was fake still don't but some of the theories are interesting.

I learned alot of people really don't like Dany i thought she and tyrion would be universally loved characters but nope heck some people don't even like tyrion and arya (i like that)

Archived