LGBTQ+ 6 -- It's a Rainbow of Flavors

Xray the Enforcer

@HelenaExMachina you are correct on that, thanks. It's another small thing that doing right can make a difference. If nothing else it acts as a signal that you're trying to be supportive - a lot of well meaning people will still say "transgendered" but I've never seen a transphobe that uses "transgender" properly. So doing it right is a positive signifier, but doing it wrong isn't a negative one.

• 3 months later...

I'm sure most people have already heard, but the US Supreme Court ruled that the 1964 civil rights act protects discrimination against LGBTQ people on the basis of sex. And it was 6-3. I think this is huge, because even if this only applies to employment I think it will be extended to other things like housing, university admissions etc fairly quickly. This may be less symbolic than same sex marriage, but it's arguably more important.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/24/2020 at 11:35 PM, felice said:

I just finished watching She-Ra and the Princesses of Power - highly recommended! :wub:

It’s good? Netflix recommends it to me all the time, but I haven’t watched it yet. (Too many things in the backlog)

Should I bump it up my watch list?

27 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

hooooooboy yeah. So much has happened (even just in the circumscribed context of being queer and trans) and I don't even know where to begin. 

Sometimes I really wish I could have a teleporter just to have a get together with everyone I care about that's scattered around the world. Which seems weird when I haven't even been seeing the people I live in the same city as, but most of them aren't under quite the same pressure at the moment. When I finally see you again you're getting a big ass hug.

I don't know if this is of interest, or maybe everyone already knows, but the upcoming eason of "Star Trek Discovery" will have two new young characters, one of them non-binary, one transgender. While I don't think DSC is great, I'll probably watch it s my favorite shows are on indefinite hold due to covid. (I'm not sure what to think of having the transgender person be a trill, but I'll wait and see.)

Jessie Gender has the info:

Edited by Mindwalker

8 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I don't know if this is of interest, or maybe everyone already knows, but the upcoming eason of "Star Trek Discovery" will have two new young characters, one of them non-binary, one transgender. While I don't think DSC is great, I'll probably watch it s my favorite shows are on indefinite hold due to covid. (I'm not sure what to think of having the transgender person be a trill, but I'll wait and see.)

One of the articles I read about this implied the Trill character doesn't have a symbiote (yet) so this should be a new story and not a Curzon/Jadzia retread.

• 3 weeks later...

I put this in the UK politics thread as well but it fits here, our government has decided not to change the gender recognition laws, meaning no self-ID for trans people and you still need a medical diagnosis to get the gender recognition certificate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54246686

Edit: I think it’s a bit disingenuous of the BBC to say women’s rights groups are in favour of this decision, we all know what type of women they are.

Edited by Maltaran

But I'm sure we'll continue to get told we shouldn't worry about influential and powerful people campaigning against our rights. People telling us things can't possibly happen that are already happening seems to be a bit of a trend lately.

We certainly do know what type of women's orgs they are though.

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

Edit: I think it’s a bit disingenuous of the BBC to say women’s rights groups are in favour of this decision, we all know what type of women they are.

It's extremely disingenuous, especially when polling indicated that overall women in the UK are more in favour of trans rights than men are.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:46 PM, Mindwalker said:

Yeah, they've handled the gay couple well overall, so I'm rather optimistic. And btw., I bet the "special" relationship with Stamets/ Culber will be a parental one.

While I don't know if  I like Discovery or not (I know, its been 2 seasons, but I'm on the fence still), they should at least be given some credit for moving with the times. If you look at other Star Trek incarnations over the years, they seem to be stuck in the 80s/90s when it comes to LGBTQ issues aside from some token efforts. Even Star Trek: Picard and Lower Decks appear to be from a different era. Now I love Star Trek as much as anyone else (more so than others), but there are definitely some blind spots in its portrayal of many social issues.

It should be the easiest Universe in which to incorporate a transgender person or gender fluid individuals.

I'm starting a new round of therapy today (last time was back in 2017) and my new therapist also uses gender neutral pronouns! I cannot express how much of a relief it is to not have to worry about that aspect of my life during therapy. My last therapist was totally fine, but I definitely got the sense that she didn't know what to do with my gender identity/presentation and that made things a little challenging. 

Anyway, it's Friday so I'm sending all of my :love: to my fellow queers, and especially to my fellow trans peeps. I feel like we have A Week every goddamned week these days.