LGBTQ+ 6 -- It's a Rainbow of Flavors

Xray the Enforcer

I'm so sorry that someone broke your trust like that and that you now have to deal with it. It's total bullshit. 

I know this is advice column woo, but could you write him an email saying that you're OK and that you're coming to terms with being outed without your consent?

Edited by Xray the Enforcer

On 11/14/2020 at 11:26 AM, SaltyGnosis said:

Deleted quote at request of poster

That's so shitty :( I know its not quite the same, but I find the discomfort I feel that is unjustified is almost harder to deal with than it would be if it was justified. I love my family, and apart from a couple of initially not great reactions from 2 of my brothers, which they've subsequently made up for, my family have been accepting and loving. But my knowledge that there will always be a residual image of the person they thought I was for 30 years every time they look at me and it undermines the time I spend with them and the comfort I feel. I can never stop being conscious of that.

There's a lesser version of that with friends that knew me before as well, Through no fault of their own I will never be as comfortable with them as I am with people that have only ever known me as me. And it fucking sucks. I hope I haven't had this rant on here before, the thread has been so quiet lately I've forgotten.

Edited by karaddin
Removing quote

I was watching It 2 earlier when my little sister came over with a friend of hers.

He told us about what happened when he watched the movie in theaters.

Apparently, at the part when Adrian was getting the shit beat out of him, some people in the theater cheered. He got scared and didn't leave until the place had emptied out at the end.

Damn the Deep South sucks.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

Most distressingly the high school my boys went to (they both just graduated university, so it was a while ago) was the subject of a credible threat to go on a LGBTQI+ shooting rampage. The school was locked down for a few hours yesterday. The potential shooter (unnamed at present) had photos of the Christchurch Mosque shooter on his Facebook (I think, or maybe instagram) page. We're pretty removed from the school now, but if this was 4 years ago my son would have been a target.

I guess one mitigating factor is that the only weapon this person had was a bolt action rifle. Would have still done damage and been potentially fatal, but death and injury would have been limited at least.

The reason this school was targeted is because it is pretty much the most LGBTQI+ friendly school in the city, and probably one of the most friendly in the country.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/wellington-high-school-lockdown-from-credible-threat-possibly-linked-to-white-supremacy-police/PVDXYD3QRIOC2KZ27J43FFY32E/

On a lighter note, my son finally came out to my mother a couple of months back. Her reaction: Oh, I've known that for years dear.

5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

That doesn't really jive with my own life experiences but I don't have any data to back that up. I'm a millennial myself and most of my male friends of the same age are highly supportive or at least generally supportive of LGBT rights. That applies to guys I consider "bros" as well as religious individuals. But self-selection is a problem here. 

By contrast most of the male boomers in my life are neutral at best on LGBT matters (including my dad, for example). 

The High Court has made a ruling on puberty blockers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-55144148

At first look it sounds reasonable, saying that informed consent is required, but reading further makes it seem that the effect will be to make it harder for these to be prescribed. I’m not entirely sure what to make of it.

7 hours ago, Maltaran said:

The High Court has made a ruling on puberty blockers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-55144148

At first look it sounds reasonable, saying that informed consent is required, but reading further makes it seem that the effect will be to make it harder for these to be prescribed. I’m not entirely sure what to make of it.

Elliot Page announcement soon got that off the front of the bbc website. 

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Elliot Page announcement soon got that off the front of the bbc website. 

I found the Elliot Page announcement really interesting. Here’s a successful Hollywood star utterly transforming their life. I hope it makes people understand that all kinds of people, even those with apparently fantastic lives, may not be as happy or settled as we all believe. That was a huge decision for him to make. I for one will be happy to support Elliot by seeing his movies in the future!

Fucking hell, trans teens that were already on blockers are having their access cut off - I'd assumed it would just block new patients. That's so colossally cruel and will kill kids. It's hard enough waiting to get a chance to be yourself, having had access to it only to have it snatched away absolutely destroys hope for the future. 

22 hours ago, karaddin said:

Fucking hell, trans teens that were already on blockers are having their access cut off - I'd assumed it would just block new patients. That's so colossally cruel and will kill kids. It's hard enough waiting to get a chance to be yourself, having had access to it only to have it snatched away absolutely destroys hope for the future. 

yeah. I've been holding off even talking about the ruling because it's so painful and barbaric and traumatizing. Love you @karaddin I know this week has been brutal. 

Love you too X.

At least there was some good news to counter balance a little this week between Elliot (and the media coverage finally doing it right) and I think it was the Netherlands issuing an apology for the previous surgery requirement for legal change. I just wish these fuckers didn't always go after the kids.