If There Were No Internet and Social Media, What would You Be Doing Now?

GAROVORKIN

In general, how much has online and social media interaction added to your life and existence   and how much would it subtract if you'd never had it at all ?  For better or worse , how has being online affected your outlook on the world and the people around you ?  Would you say that online and social media experience has increased you overall  happiness or decreased it  and, can you even imagine your life without it ? What are the things that you would likely  be doing in the here and now  as an alternate to all it ? 

Thoughts?

Before the Internet and social media, in 1968 at age 18 I earned my Amateur Radio license.  That hobby allowed me to contact by two-way radio and converse with amateur radio operators throughout the world.  Were the Internet to disappear I certainly would increase my hours devoted to my amateur radio avocation and return to reading much more than I have in the last decade. 

22 minutes ago, Ser Knight Somerville said:

Before the Internet and social media, in 1968 at age 18 I earned my Amateur Radio license.  That hobby allowed me to contact by two-way radio and converse with amateur radio operators throughout the world.  Were the Internet to disappear I certainly would increase my hours devoted to my amateur radio avocation and return to reading much more than I have in the last decade. 

That was the equivalent of the Internet in that era wasn't it? 

20 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

That was the equivalent of the Internet in that era wasn't it? 

In many ways, yes it was.  For those with the necessary accessory equipment could even send photos of oneself or other material by means of "slow scan television".  Because of bandwidth restrictions to the width of a voice transmission on the long distance bands it took 30 seconds or so to send a photo.  On the ultrahigh frequency local bands fast scan TV was permitted so could send live video.  There are also amateur radio space satellites that have been launched starting in the 1960's, somewhat analogous to comsats used for some modern data or voice transmission.   The International Space Station has an amateur data repeater on board and occasionally some of the astronauts with amateur radio licenses will use voice to talk to other amateurs. 

Archived