Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

I just finished When We First Met on Netflix.  It was a lot better than I thought it would be based on the trailer, which had a bit of a creepy vibe.

Now I've just started The Ritual based on the phenomenal book by Adam Nevill.  

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Just finished watching Frozen Dead on Netflix, which is a French mystery/murder/detective series. I kind of thought it was going to be about zombies, or a bit like Les Revenents...but then I guess why would anyone make a show like that again? I liked this and would recommend it, even though I was driven nuts by everyone being massively unprofessional and failing to do their job properly. The story is compelling enough and unlike The Killing etc it's only six episodes long. I loved the Pyrenees mountains looming in the background of almost every shot and there are some striking characters, so definitely worth a go if you like murder mysteries. 

The Pyrenean backdrop is the only thing that held my interest. I gave up after 3 episodes. I found it absolutely astonishing and beyond all comprehension . . .

Spoiler

that the police, psychiatric hospital staff and others were so easily manipulated by the antagonist. It required way more suspension of disbelief than I could possibly muster to continue. Oh, and the main detectives cold annoyed me beyond belief.

3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

This was good.  Definitely different from the book though.

Now I'm watching The Cloverfield Paradox

Interesting how they've linked all the movies together.

4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I didn't know it was based on anything. I was gonna watch it tonight but would rather read the book before I view it instead(which works out perfectly as I was looking for something to read). 

You like The Cloverfield Paradox? I thought it started out good and had some interesting ideas, but it didn't really deliver and I was bored by the end.

Cloverfield Paradox was a bit of a mess, but it was entertaining enough. It gets automatic points from me for having Gugu Mbatha-Raw in the lead role. :wub:

And I completely agree with @briantw about Gomorrah 3x03. Great episode.

I was pretty against Ciro during the war last season, but man, what a redeeming episode. I loved that Genny let Ciro kill Mallamore in 3x01 as well. I honestly thought Ciro let him off easy considering what he did.

Binged the hell out of Gomorrah season three today.  That was fucking fantastic.

One thing this series is enormously successful at is being really goddamn tense.  When they start playing the "someone's gonna die" music and then cut between half a dozen characters, you're on the edge of your seat every time.

8 hours ago, Astromech said:

The Pyrenean backdrop is the only thing that held my interest. I gave up after 3 episodes. I found it absolutely astonishing and beyond all comprehension . . .

Hide contents

that the police, psychiatric hospital staff and others were so easily manipulated by the antagonist. It required way more suspension of disbelief than I could possibly muster to continue. Oh, and the main detectives cold annoyed me beyond belief.

The scenery was very nice. It did remind me a lot of Les Revenents. But what made it easier to watch was the fact that there were only six episodes.

We expected that guy to drop down dead before they got to the end of the investigation! I was also frankly outraged that he threw the other captain off the case (when she was meant to be senior to him anyway!) for being personally involved and witholding information when he was guilty of the exact same thing.

There was a lot of stuff that was irritating - it does my head in when everybody breaks all of the rules all the time and there are no consequences whatsoever. As you say the bad guy was seemingly omnipotent. It's probably a good job you stopped watching before the end really!

On 09/02/2018 at 8:32 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

I watched a pretty good movie yesterday that I'm fairly confident @Isis would enjoy - 2:22.  Spoiler/not spoiler, read at your own risk

Reveal hidden contents

It has some 

The Fountain like elements.

Thanks. I'll keep my eye out for it.

I binged the first season and a few episodes of the second season of Hung. Still not exactly sure how I feel about the show.

While binging it I Googled Jane because I’ve liked him in a number of things which lead me to watch 1922. It’s a slow horror film based on a Stephen King book on Netflix. It’s pretty average, but if you like that kind of movie I’d recommend it.

Also, I finally got around to watching Once Upon A Time In The West. Wonderful movie, and you can see how much it influenced a lot of Tarantino’s work, especially with the soundtrack.  

And lastly, since a number of you are talking about The Cloverfield Paradox, I figured I’d let you know that one of my cousins is in the opening scene of the movie, and he’ll be in multiple scenes in the next Cloverfield movie. Fingers crossed that he’ll get a few lines.

Started watching Sons of Anarchy and am almost done with Season 2 in ~3 days.  Reminds me of the Sopranos except instead of caricatures of Italians, it's caricatures of bikers.  Really enjoying it and happy I've got 5 more seasons after this :)

15 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Started watching Sons of Anarchy and am almost done with Season 2 in ~3 days.  Reminds me of the Sopranos except instead of caricatures of Italians, it's caricatures of bikers.  Really enjoying it and happy I've got 5 more seasons after this :)

You should stop at like season 4 or 5.

9 hours ago, briantw said:

Binged the hell out of Gomorrah season three today.  That was fucking fantastic.

This is on my to-be-watched list.

Meanwhile,i 'm 3 episodes into another Italian mafia/crime drama titled Maltese-Il Romanzo del Commissario (Maltese: The Mafia Detective) set in 70's Sicily.Very good so far.Oh,it's from the creators of Gomorrah.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I binged the first season and a few episodes of the second season of Hung. Still not exactly sure how I feel about the show.

While binging it I Googled Jane because I’ve liked him in a number of things which lead me to watch 1922. It’s a slow horror film based on a Stephen King book on Netflix. It’s pretty average, but if you like that kind of movie I’d recommend it.

Also, I finally got around to watching Once Upon A Time In The West. Wonderful movie, and you can see how much it influenced a lot of Tarantino’s work, especially with the soundtrack.  

And lastly, since a number of you are talking about The Cloverfield Paradox, I figured I’d let you know that one of my cousins is in the opening scene of the movie, and he’ll be in multiple scenes in the next Cloverfield movie. Fingers crossed that he’ll get a few lines.

THAT'S AWERSOME!

Seriously, cool man. How's the movie though? Don't fuck with me, I only have so much time to spend on watching J.J. Abrams considering that I do not sleep or rest.

It took a while, toward the end of episode 3, but Babylon Berlin got me in its spell.  The nightclub music -dance interludes are spectacular though, and from the first episode, no matter what else goes on.  I'm up to the ninth episode now.

It does seem though that why it was so difficult to submerge into this series at first is because the television adaptation retains so little from Volker Kutscher's Detective Gereon Rath novels on which ihe series is based -- or at least the first one, which is the one I've read.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

This is on my to-be-watched list.

Meanwhile,i 'm 3 episodes into another Italian mafia/crime drama titled Maltese-Il Romanzo del Commissario (Maltese: The Mafia Detective) set in 70's Sicily.Very good so far.Oh,it's from the creators of Gomorrah.

If it's from the Gomorrah people, I will probably check it out.  Gomorrah is one of the best shows on TV right now, and it did nothing to dissuade me of that opinion in season three.

Next up for me as far as foreign dramas go is Suburra, though.

Archived