What do you think of Stannis?

Hizzy Horsecock

I started reading the books after watching the HBO series (regrettably) largely because Stannis was my favorite character in the show and I was beyond upset at how they completely destroyed his character. Got into the books largely to read about him (though I now completely love just about every character thanks to the books) and I read up to the Davos chapter where he's learning to read from Maester Pylos. Just wanted to know how you guys feel about The One True King at this point in the [true] series. Needless to say I love him and still picture him in my head as Stephen Dillane (the actor from the HBO series) even though I try to picture all the other characters as they're described in the books. So yeah, what do you think of King Stannis the First of His Name? 

• 1 month later...

I'd say Stannis is the best of the five original kings. Though considering some of them, that's not exactly saying much. Not sure how far along in Storm you are so I won't say more on that vein. He's a fair man, if rigid and harsh. He has a code and adheres to it. His main problem is he doesn't understand how people work, and has no flexibility. These are things a king needs. It doesn't help he literally has an angel and a devil on each shoulder whispering advice in his ears.

Archived