How do you picture all the characters?

Hizzy Horsecock

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, Morgana Lannister said:

I know this is the opposite of what you propose but since you brought up age, ok.  In the ASOIAF universe, which in Westeros, sounds to me a lot like the Middle Ages in Europe, infant mortality was ripe, dying in childbed common, war even more common as were things like the black death...  Especialy among the nobility, as a woman was flowered so was she usually wed and the husband (either much older as a good political match) or same age or even younger at may suit the scheme.

In my country today (UK) 16 is the age of consent, in some is 18.  In the middle ages so many kids died they could not afford to wait that long.  I believe 14 was common amongst the nobility, later for the peasants.  Okay, constraints for procreation on the peasants but not as high.

Now, I think the show, shocking as it is with some scenes (but not necessarily disapproving) is viewed by us in our 21 century mentality so they aged the children a bit, just so that the viewers didn't call up Social Services lol

George had described in terms of war and cruelty stuff that I may have issues with today but, to me, necessary to convey the world he is trying to present to us.  So, I am happy with 12/30 marriage whatever (in that world).  If I am to be happy with a political marriage arranged by others without much consent, what is age??? provided the younger one is remotely able to see what was happening and I think this was demonstrated when Sansa when betrothed to her superior in rank but her own age... (and he was the worst possibles suitor; not my doing, the author's...) and yes, that union was horrific but not because of age difference. 

To us yes, any form of sex before 16 or 18, depending on country, is abhorrent, but hey what about the Dothraki say? I hear less complaints than with say Jon or Tyrion lol  We can strongly disagree with a type of culture and its practices, what we cannot do is put ourselves in the shoes of the character and react with our 21 century mentality!

Not saying that you did, mayhaps answering to the many who throughout had done.  To me there is no absolute right and wrong and yes, the culture we suck at the teat in some ways conditions us, including our own.

But you said the opposite.  Our interpretations are clearly at oods here for I thought the characters by and large acted well older than their years.  Bran especially.  Okay, he is special.  But Jon too.  How many 15 year olds have had to chose between family and duty???

I may had been very shallow at his age but I was more bothered about new record releases and make up than that sort of thing...

Of course, I don't advocate teenage marriage for political purposes or anything of the kind but if we are to understand the story, we must be immersed in it, without our today's values clouding the plot and making the story a pamphlet of human rights or whatever.  This is meant to be a fantasy for enjoyment not a vehicle for furthering political agendas or causes.

Although the series touches on them, the moment my leisure time takes me back to work again would be the moment I lose interest.  But each to their own.  Campaigning for just beliefs is very noble and I partake but not in a fantasy series.

Not saying that you did.  I am sorry, I didn't just answer you post but expressed something I feel strong about in literature, as opposed to real life. :)

I too disapprove of the whole child marriage thing although I understand why it occurred in ASOIAF given the time period in which the story takes place. I just meant that I wish they would have kept the ages the same on the show. 

1 hour ago, JaneSnow said:

I too disapprove of the whole child marriage thing although I understand why it occurred in ASOIAF given the time period in which the story takes place. I just meant that I wish they would have kept the ages the same on the show. 

I agree that making, say Sansa 14 rather than 12 would have worked better and is more in-keeping with medieval political marriages in history, betrothal of course is different as the marriage can take place years in the future.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, Morgana Lannister said:

I agree that making, say Sansa 14 rather than 12 would have worked better and is more in-keeping with medieval political marriages in history, betrothal of course is different as the marriage can take place years in the future.

I know they obviously couldn't have had an actress as young as Dany was playing a character involved in her scenes considering she gets naked a lot but couldn't they have just had an older actress and just said she was 13, I mean actors play younger or older characters all the time

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2018 at 6:44 PM, SecretWeapon said:

OMG YESSSS. I thought that I was the only one casting Cersei as Michelle. Bless. 

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

I'm rereading it now, and while on first read, I pictured them as in the show, now my view is different. I look to the wiki to help me picture them somewhat others I try to find someone I could relate them to.

• 3 weeks later...

Young people did tend to be what we would consider old for their ages in the 15th. Century world of the Wars of the Roses, which is the background for Westeros.  Edward IV was 18 when he fought his way to the throne of England.  His brother, Richard of Gloucester, was charged with commanding a wing of Edward's army when he was even younger.  Child marriage was common.  Edward's younger son was married when he was 5; his bride was 8.

Ned and Robert seem to have been about 18 when Robert wins his throne, so that they fit very well into the prototype.

Archived