The Dornish Letter

Fire Eater

Dorne was a blighted, burning ruin by this time, and still the Dornish hid and fought from the shadows, refusing to surrender. Even the smallfolk refused to yield, and the toll in lives was uncountable. When Princess Meria at last passed away in 13 AC, her throne passed to her son, the aged and failing Prince Nymor. He had had enough of war and sent a delegation led by his daughter, Princess Deria, to King's Landing. This delegation carried the skull of Meraxes with them, as a gift for the king. It was ill received by many—Queen Visenya and Orys Baratheon among them—and Lord Oakheart urged that Deria be sent to the meanest of brothels to service any man who would have her. But King Aegon Targaryen would not countenance such an act and instead listened to her words.
Dorne wanted peace, according to Deria—but the peace of two kingdoms no longer at war, not the peace between a vassal and a lord. Many urged His Grace against this, and the phrase "no peace without submission" was often heard in the halls of the Aegonfort. It was claimed that the king would look weak should he agree to such a demand and that the lords of the Reach and stormlands who had suffered so much for his cause would be angered.
Swayed by such considerations, it is said, King Aegon was determined to refuse the offer until Princess Deria placed in his hands a private letter from her father, Prince Nymor. Aegon read it upon the Iron Throne, and men say that when he rose, his hand was bleeding, so hard had he clenched it. He burned the letter and departed immediately on Balerion's back for Dragonstone. When he returned the next morning, he agreed to the peace and signed a treaty to that effect.
What the letter contained, none know to this day, though many have speculated. Did Nymor reveal that Rhaenys lived still, broken and mutilated, and that he would end her suffering if Aegon ended hostilities? Was the letter ensorceled? Did he threaten to take all the wealth of Dorne to hire the Faceless Men to kill Aegon's young son and heir, Aenys? These questions shall never be answered, it seems.

Aegon the Conqueror was described as "determined to refuse" the offer of peace by the Dornish. By that point, many of his lords had died in the First Dornish War or had been tortured and/or maimed as was the case of his Hand and closest friend, Orys Baratheon. And not to mention his greatest loss: Rhaenys, the sister-wife and mother to his heir, the only woman he had ever truly loved. His heart would have been hardened just by that personal loss, and he would have had a desire for vengeance as demonstrated by him and Visenya burning every castle in Dorne (except Sunspear) after Rhaenys's death.

However, his opinion changed after being given a letter. Whatever was written in it, clearly had an emotional impact on him given his hand was bleeding from being clenched so hard. He then burned the letter, not wanting anyone to see what was written. He then left for Dragonstone immediately, and returned to agree to the peace. 

In "Sons of the Dragon," it is mentioned that Aegon "flew to Sunspear on Balerion on the tenth anniversary of the peace accords to celebrate a 'feast of friendship' with Deria Martell, the reigning Princess of Dorne. Prince Aenys accompanied him on Quicksilver." Aegon and Deria appeared to be on good enough to terms to celebrate the peace between them. 

The question on every reader's mind is "What was in that letter?"

One theory is that it was ensorceled, which I think we can easily dismiss. I don't know where Nymor would get the spells. The next theory is that Nymor threatened to use all of Dorne's wealth to hire a FM to kill Aenys, Aegon's son and heir. The problem with that theory is that Aegon had six (seven if you separate the riverlands and the Iron Isles) more kingdoms than his to outbid him, and the point behind hiring the FM is so the customer doesn't get caught. It doesn't take a genius to say that if Aegon was willing to burn every Dornish castle to avenge Rhaenys, then having his son by that same woman murdered would likely trigger similar reprisals. An offer of peace that comes with a threat would have enraged Aegon, and it also destroys the point of goodwill that was demonstrated by bringing Meraxes' skull. 

The third explanation, and I think the one most accepted, is that they had Rhaenys, who had been tortured and mutilated after her capture at Hellholt, and Nymor promised to put her out of her misery as an incentive to the peace. The first issue with that theory is that if the Dornish had Rhaenys this whole time all those years, why didn't they use her before when they first had her? As Aegon's favorite sister-wife, she would have been a valuable hostage to use to bring Aegon to the negotiating table. Secondly, like with the second theory, Aegon would undoubtedly have been enraged at the thought of his sister-wife having been alive all this time being tortured and mutilated, and being told that killing her was part of the peace. He would have demanded her back in whatever condition, and counter-threatened something along the lines of turning Sunspear into ash.

Edit: Also, why would Nymor send his daughter and heir to deliver such a threat? As well as risking making her a target for Aegon's wrath, he would have essentially handed him a valuable hostage on a silver platter that Aegon could use to counter him on Rhaenys. 

I think there is a fourth explanation that hasn't been mentioned: that letter wasn't written by Nymor, but by Rhaenys. After Meraxes fell to the ground, and she was badly injured, contrary to what one would usually think, the Dornish gave her a bed and had a maester (provided he wasn't killed in the assault) take care of her. They knew her value as a hostage, and when she got better they would tell Aegon they had her. However, as time passed, her condition grew worse and her health continued to deteriorate. Close to death she had one request, to be given some parchment and quill to write a final letter to Aegon. It is mentioned her bones were never returned, but neither were Rhaegar's, because the Targaryens cremate their dead. She was likely cremated upon her death per her request, and her ashes returned to her childhood home of Dragonstone. I think Aegon left for Dragonstone to meet up with the ship carrying her urn. Aegon would of course been emotional recognizing his wife's words in her last letter to him. He would have burned it simply because the letter was a private, personal matter.

The fifth explanation is that it was simply Nymor stating that her ashes were being returned to Dragonstone. In either scenario, Aegon would have been moved enough by by the Dornish's actions to accept the peace. The awful things the Dornish did during the war only served to escalate the situation, and make things worse, but the one noble, honorable act ends up being what ends the war.

That fourth scenario makes a lot of sense. Thank you! This has been bugging me, and I couldn't guess what the letter might hold. Fifth explanation is also a possibility.

What strikes me in re-reading the excerpt is that delivering the skull of Meraxes could be compared to the Lannisters sending the skull of Ser Gregor down to Dorne. If that "skull for peace" gesture is comparable, is there a also a comparable figure to Rhaenys? Logically, it could be Elia, who everyone knows was killed by Clegane.

But what if one of the new generation of Dornish royals is captured or badly injured, and falls into enemy hands?

Spoiler

I'm imagining that Arianne could easily be captured or caught in combat during her mission to meet fAegon.

We are told that Quentyn Martell has died. What if the man burned beyond recognition was not Quentyn, but one of his traveling companions? I know some people suspect that Quentyn was successful in riding one of Dany's dragons. Wouldn't it be interesting if the tables are turned, and Dorne possesses dragon power while the Iron Throne has a valuable Dornish hostage?

24 minutes ago, Seams said:

That fourth scenario makes a lot of sense. Thank you! This has been bugging me, and I couldn't guess what the letter might hold. Fifth explanation is also a possibility.

What strikes me in re-reading the excerpt is that delivering the skull of Meraxes could be compared to the Lannisters sending the skull of Ser Gregor down to Dorne. If that "skull for peace" gesture is comparable, is there a also a comparable figure to Rhaenys? Logically, it could be Elia, who everyone knows was killed by Clegane.

But what if one of the new generation of Dornish royals is captured or badly injured, and falls into enemy hands?

Reveal hidden contents

I'm imagining that Arianne could easily be captured or caught in combat during her mission to meet fAegon.

We are told that Quentyn Martell has died. What if the man burned beyond recognition was not Quentyn, but one of his traveling companions? I know some people suspect that Quentyn was successful in riding one of Dany's dragons. Wouldn't it be interesting if the tables are turned, and Dorne possesses dragon power while the Iron Throne has a valuable Dornish hostage?

Your welcome.

Quentyn is dead, and confirmed dead by Barristan. Arch burned his hands trying to put out the fire on Quentyn, and I don't see him doing that for anyone else except Drink. His death pretty sinks the alliance with Dorne with Dany. 

I think it has to do something with Rhaenys as well. More than likely something positive as the incident set the foundation for binding Dorne to House Targaryen. If it was torture and murder, Aegon would've made a point to tell his children to always hate Dorne I think.

11 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

I think it has to do something with Rhaenys as well. More than likely something positive as the incident set the foundation for binding Dorne to House Targaryen. If it was torture and murder, Aegon would've made a point to tell his children to always hate Dorne I think.

And he wouldn't have brought Aenys, Rhaenys's son, to Dorne to celebrate the peace deal. Hell, he wouldn't even want to celebrate the peace. 

2 hours ago, Fire Eater said:

I think there is a fourth explanation that hasn't been mentioned: that letter wasn't written by Nymor, but by Rhaenys. After Meraxes fell to the ground, and she was badly injured, contrary to what one would usually think, the Dornish gave her a bed and had a maester look care for her. They knew her value as a hostage, and when she got better they would tell Aegon they had her. However, as time passed, her condition grew worse and her health continued to deteriorate. Close to death she had one request, to be given some parchment and quill to write a final letter to Aegon. It is mentioned her bones were never returned, but neither were Rhaegar's, because the Targaryens cremate their dead. She was likely cremated upon her death per her request, and her ashes returned to her childhood home of Dragonstone. I think Aegon left for Dragonstone to meet up with the ship carrying her urn. Aegon would of course been emotional recognizing his wife's words in her last letter to him. He would have burned it simply because the letter was a private, personal matter.

The fifth explanation is that it was simply Nymor stating that her ashes were being returned to Dragonstone. In either scenario, Aegon would have been moved enough by by the Dornish's actions to accept the peace. The awful things the Dornish did during the war only served to escalate the situation, and make things worse, but the one noble, honorable act ends up being what ends the war.

Excellent! I think both of those are plausible.

I certainly think it was written regarding Rhaenys as well.

I certainly don't think it could be any kind of hostage swap or allowing Rhaenys to return home and live. Otherwise there's nothing to prevent the inevitable dragon attacks of Aegon and Visenya.

I think it is worth pointing out that 3 times in TWOIAF Rhaenys is specifically mentioned to have an attraction to singers and mummers. 

Perhaps since Rhaenys lost her #1 hobby (flying) and as you said she was treated extremely kind and given every provision. When she eventually did begin to succumb to her mortal injuries she wrote a letter to Aegon and said she chose a singer in Dorne she loved. Or perhaps she simply wanted mercy on those who took care of her in her time of need. (Your OP explanation #4) 

Either way with the sequence of events I think Rhaenys writing the letter is the best conclusion.

All we can do at this point is guess, I think. What I really want to know is if it has some bearing on the current tale. 

As to where Nymor might have gotten some sorcery, perhaps the descendants of Nymeria were still practicing water magic? 

51 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

All we can do at this point is guess, I think. What I really want to know is if it has some bearing on the current tale. 

As to where Nymor might have gotten some sorcery, perhaps the descendants of Nymeria were still practicing water magic? 

How can you change Aegon's mind with water magic? 

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

It probably doesn't in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't mean it isn't fascinating to discuss. Certainly there's enough meat there for it's own story. I find Gerion Lannister's quest to Valyria one of the most fascinating mysteries of ASoIaF despite it having little relevance to the overall plot.

5 hours ago, Fire Eater said:

Aegon the Conqueror was described as "determined to refuse" the offer of peace by the Dornish. By that point, many of his lords had died in the First Dornish War or had been tortured and/or maimed as was the case of his Hand and closest friend, Orys Baratheon. And not to mention his greatest loss: Rhaenys, the sister-wife and mother to his heir, the only woman he had ever truly loved. His heart would have been hardened just by that personal loss, and he would have had a desire for vengeance as demonstrated by him and Visenya burning every castle in Dorne (except Sunspear) after Rhaenys's death.

However, his opinion changed after being given a letter. Whatever was written in it, clearly had an emotional impact on him given his hand was bleeding from being clenched so hard. He then burned the letter, not wanting anyone to see what was written. He then left for Dragonstone immediately, and returned to agree to the peace. 

In "Sons of the Dragon," it is mentioned that Aegon "flew to Sunspear on Balerion on the tenth anniversary of the peace accords to celebrate a 'feast of friendship' with Deria Martell, the reigning Princess of Dorne. Prince Aenys accompanied him on Quicksilver." Aegon and Deria appeared to be on good enough to terms to celebrate the peace between them. 

The question on every reader's mind is "What was in that letter?"

One theory is that it was ensorceled, which I think we can easily dismiss. I don't know where Nymor would get the spells. The next theory is that Nymor threatened to use all of Dorne's wealth to hire a FM to kill Aenys, Aegon's son and heir. The problem with that theory is that Aegon had six (seven if you separate the riverlands and the Iron Isles) more kingdoms than his to outbid him, and the point behind hiring the FM is so the customer doesn't get caught. It doesn't take a genius to say that if Aegon was willing to burn every Dornish castle to avenge Rhaenys, then having his son by that same woman murdered would likely trigger similar reprisals. An offer of peace that comes with a threat would have enraged Aegon, and it also destroys the point of goodwill that was demonstrated by bringing Meraxes' skull. 

The third explanation, and I think the one most accepted, is that they had Rhaenys, who had been tortured and mutilated after her capture at Hellholt, and Nymor promised to put her out of her misery as an incentive to the peace. The first issue with that theory is that if the Dornish had Rhaenys this whole time all those years, why didn't they use her before when they first had her? As Aegon's favorite sister-wife, she would have been a valuable hostage to use to bring Aegon to the negotiating table. Secondly, like with the second theory, Aegon would undoubtedly have been enraged at the thought of his sister-wife having been alive all this time being tortured and mutilated, and being told that killing her was part of the peace. He would have demanded her back in whatever condition, and counter-threatened something along the lines of turning Sunspear into ash. 

I think there is a fourth explanation that hasn't been mentioned: that letter wasn't written by Nymor, but by Rhaenys. After Meraxes fell to the ground, and she was badly injured, contrary to what one would usually think, the Dornish gave her a bed and had a maester look care for her. They knew her value as a hostage, and when she got better they would tell Aegon they had her. However, as time passed, her condition grew worse and her health continued to deteriorate. Close to death she had one request, to be given some parchment and quill to write a final letter to Aegon. It is mentioned her bones were never returned, but neither were Rhaegar's, because the Targaryens cremate their dead. She was likely cremated upon her death per her request, and her ashes returned to her childhood home of Dragonstone. I think Aegon left for Dragonstone to meet up with the ship carrying her urn. Aegon would of course been emotional recognizing his wife's words in her last letter to him. He would have burned it simply because the letter was a private, personal matter.

Beautiful analysis my man.

32 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

It probably doesn't in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't mean it isn't fascinating to discuss. Certainly there's enough meat there for it's own story. I find Gerion Lannister's quest to Valyria one of the most fascinating mysteries of ASoIaF despite it having little relevance to the overall plot.

Don't get me wrong, I like all ASOIAF stuff as much as the next guy. I really like the history stuff when there's some relation to the current tale. 

My favorite theory about the Dornish letter is one that hasn't been listed so far.

The Dornish had discovered (perhaps through a dying Rhaenys, but most likely through another way) a very valuable piece of information: that Aenys wasn't Aegon's son.

We've been told that Rhaneys surrounded herself with bards and singers. In the world book it is even said "Whilst no one ever questioned Visenya’s fidelity to her brother/husband, Rhaenys surrounded herself with comely young men, and (it was whispered) even entertained some in her bedchambers on the nights when Aegon was with her elder sister. Yet despite these rumors, observers at court could not fail to note that the king spent ten nights with Rhaenys for every night with Visenya."

With two wives, and "paying frequent visits" to both, it is very strange that Aegon had his first child at 34 and his second and last at 39. So it's not that far-fetched to speculate that Aegon was infertile, and that when Rhaenys realized that, she made sure to get pregnant from someone else.

Visenya managed the problem in his own way: through dark magic. He took Aegon's "DNA" and made a copy of him inside her body. It was only too late that she realized that Aegon's "clone" had the same problem as the original: he could not sire children. But that's another story.

This theory explains why Aegon got so angry when receiving the letter, and also why he immediately went to to Dragonstone to investigate the matter by questioning the people who had surrounded Rhaenys (Rhaenys would have ensured that the real father was of Valyrian stock, so the candidates would be among the Valyrian families living in the Dragonstone court). It would also explain why Aegon and Visenya grew distant after the Dornish war (Aegon thought Visenya had also cheated on him).

38 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

My favorite theory about the Dornish letter is one that hasn't been listed so far.

The Dornish had discovered (perhaps through a dying Rhaenys, but most likely through another way) a very valuable piece of information: that Aenys wasn't Aegon's son.

We've been told that Rhaneys surrounded herself with bards and singers. In the world book it is even said "Whilst no one ever questioned Visenya’s fidelity to her brother/husband, Rhaenys surrounded herself with comely young men, and (it was whispered) even entertained some in her bedchambers on the nights when Aegon was with her elder sister. Yet despite these rumors, observers at court could not fail to note that the king spent ten nights with Rhaenys for every night with Visenya."

With two wives, and "paying frequent visits" to both, it is very strange that Aegon had his first child at 34 and his second and last at 39. So it's not that far-fetched to speculate that Aegon was infertile, and that when Rhaenys realized that, she made sure to get pregnant from someone else.

Visenya managed the problem in his own way: through dark magic. He took Aegon's "DNA" and made a copy of him inside her body. It was only too late that she realized that Aegon's "clone" had the same problem as the original: he could not sire children. But that's another story.

This theory explains why Aegon got so angry when receiving the letter, and also why he immediately went to to Dragonstone to investigate the matter by questioning the people who had surrounded Rhaenys (Rhaenys would have ensured that the real father was of Valyrian stock, so the candidates would be among the Valyrian families living in the Dragonstone court). It would also explain why Aegon and Visenya grew distant after the Dornish war (Aegon thought Visenya had also cheated on him).

I like that. I like it a lot.

If you don't mind though, I am going to pound that rock a little further (my apologies for any ceramic bits on the floor)...

Maybe Aegon realized he was having trouble firing live ammo? 

And maybe Aegon sent for one of those well-bred Lysene Targalikes? 

And maybe Nymor obtained proof of that? 

Just spit balling, here...

3 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

That's an interesting one.

However it doesn't explain why would Aegon leave the Dornishmen alone after that. It's not like they could perform Aenys' paternity test on live TV for all Westeros to see. So while it can change family dynamic, it doesn't provide Dorne with leverage.

22 hours ago, Fire Eater said:

I think there is a fourth explanation that hasn't been mentioned: that letter wasn't written by Nymor, but by Rhaenys

And again - how would this change Dornish position against Targaryens? The ashes a home; time to burn Dorne some more.

The letter could be written by Rhaenys, informing her brother that she is in good health and has proper amount of fingers. And if Aegon doesn't want her to arrive home piecemeal, he has to stop burning everything. Aegon was pissed because he just lost his favorite wife forever and couldn't claim vengeance. He burned the letter because he was pissed and marched off to Dragonstone to tell Visenya.

As for why Martells didn't do it sooner, there are two options. First, in the post-burning Dorne Martells would emerge untouched, their every internal rival weakened, so the entire war was not without a benefit to Martells - strengthening them internally and uniting Dorne against the merciless murderous Other to the North. Second, Martells might have been waiting for a pause in active warfare to send the message. After all, if Aegon burned entiure towns, he could have just as easily burned some Martell cavalcade galloping north without questioning whys and hows of the situation.

23 hours ago, Fire Eater said:

This is it.  Rhaenys was the weakest of the three Targaryens and she is not a born fighter like Visenya and Rhaegar.  There is wisdom because a people willing to die can't be conquered. 

Archived