Least favorite theory?

capo51

While the obvious stupid theories are ones like Ned is still alive, it was only a Faceless Man that was beheaded, or Prince Rhaegar is still alive, somehow the rebels never bothered to check for his body, or Lyanna is still alive, my personal least favorite would be that Prince Aegon is actually a Blackfyre.

For one, it comes completely out of left field. So what if Illyrio mentioned the Blackfyres at the beginning of Dance? What does that prove? Dany mentioned her nephew Aegon too, does that prove anything? Second, Varys gave a monologue to a dying Kevan Lannister at the end of Dance all about how the crown prince Aegon was coming back to Westeros. Why would Varys lie?

(Personally, I prefer the theory that Young Griff really is Prince Aegon - that by itself is a good enough plot twist. Or, if not, I'm also a fan of him being Brandon and Ashara's son, as Selmy recalled Dayne being dishonored by "a Stark" and having  a stillborn daughter, when in reality Elia Martell had a stillborn daughter, nearly died, and didn't know that her stillborn girl was switched for Dayne's healthy son with Brandon, although Dayne did know, and therefore killed herself when Eddard confirmed the rumors that "Rhaegar's son" died in King's Landing. If Young Griff is not really Prince Aegon,I like that idea best.)

But anyway, what are your least favorite theories? And those of you who champion the "Aegon Blackfyre" theory, what's the appeal?

The blackfyre theory is a good unifying theory.

First it explains why the golden company (which was created by a blacfyre to put a blackfyre on the IT is helping Aegon.

Then it explains why illirio seems to like Aegon so much (they are related).

Usually it makes varys at least a blackfyre suporter (if not even a blackfyre himself) and explains why he ploted against rhaegar and instead of making westeros and robert better is scheming behind their backs to bring a huge war to westeros.

Explains why illirio's people tought danny wouldn t survive for long with the dothriaki (I am not sure if this is acurate but someone says something along those lines) and why illirio and varys only cared to raise Aegon well and apart from the real targs.

Gives a motive for danny being the slayer of lies

and there are probably other good points...

14 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

Arya will become psychopath.

She's already there, man. Psychologically normal people don't kill without remorse. But at least she thinks she has a good reason for doing the evil stuff she does, Bran brain-rapes his best friend because he's bored and doesn't even try to justify it to himself.

2 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

She's already there, man. Psychologically normal people don't kill without remorse. But at least she thinks she has a good reason for doing the evil stuff she does, Bran brain-rapes his best friend because he's bored and doesn't even try to justify it to himself.

She's being programmed to not even need a reason and has killed someone for an assignment who see didn't think was guilty

32 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Everyone is a Targ. And every thing that has happened ever is the result of Blood Raven.

Yeah. It's not enough that House Baratheon is basically a second Targaryen House. Jon Snow is not enough. Daenerys is not. Targs everywhere, from Casterly to the Wall, Stormlands and Essos. Maybe Aegon is indeed one.

3 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

If that were enough to call someone a psychopath than Ned, Robb, and Jon would all be psychopaths as well. They justify their killings, but they don't feel remorse. Arya does feel remorse about the killings she can't justify (the stable boy and the Bolton guard) and she justifies the killings she doesn't feel remorse about (Lorch's men, Daeron). 

You see Westeros has a very different code of morality than we do. Killing people is not frowned upon if you have a reason to do so. That's deeply disturbing, I agree, but it's how it works there. Ned murdering Gared is as disturbing to me as Arya killing Daeron. Ned doesn't feel joy in it, but neither does Arya. Neither of them are psychologically unsound because of those actions. 

I like the near consensus (so far) that "everyone is a secret Targaryen" is among their least favorite theories. Let me add

* Tyrion will get a dragon. Because he is, ya know, Aerys's bastard boy.

* Bran, as the new three-eyed crow will have controlled every event in Westerosi history, going back and forth in time, entering people's dreams and visions, and popping up as every "Brandon Stark" in history.

* Sansa will end up on the Iron Throne as the bestest, brightest, and beautifulest Queen of all time whose brilliant political mind enables her to cause societal changes while retaining the love and admiration of her subjects and lords. Oh, and marry the Hound.

Re Sansa - I do tend towards the idea that she'll end up as a tragic, somewhat sympathetic character. (Your level of sympathy dependent on how much you like the character.)

3 minutes ago, zandru said:

* Bran, as the new three-eyed crow will have controlled every event in Westerosi history, going back and forth in time, entering people's dreams and visions, and popping up as every "Brandon Stark" in history.

I've never read this theory.  Can you point it out?

7 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

She still love her family. Psychopaths don't love anyone. Also, her victims weren't saints.

1 minute ago, Kandrax said:

She still love her family. Psychopaths don't love anyone. Also, her victims weren't saints.

Door Guard #1 was as good as a saint. 

I'm not certain it's actually the case that psychopaths don't love anyone. They're certainly self-absorbed, but that's not the same thing. I think Arya is on the way to being very screwed up, but there's a way back for her. 

I don't like any theory that has Cersei simply becoming mad in it. This would make her the only character without any real transformation then and where would be the fun in that? I rather expect that

1) Cersei will be given a reason to not believe in her prophecy any longer (for example by becoming pregnant again by Kettleback, Jaime out of reach not because of someone beautiful but because of Brienne, both Myrcella and Tommen far away from any throne and their deaths perhaps)

2) Cersei won't keep her odd identification with Tywin but finds a reason to believe that she is Aery's daughter (preferably when she leaves KL and the Tyrells to restore her ancestral home as centre of power, as it was the year after her birth)

6 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Door Guard #1 was as good as a saint. 

I'm not certain it's actually the case that psychopaths don't love anyone. They're certainly self-absorbed, but that's not the same thing. I think Arya is on the way to being very screwed up, but there's a way back for her. 

He was maybe saint or maybe not, we will never know. Seriously, when i hear that Arya is psychopath it sounds to me like she tortured and killed two year old kid with last name Frey or Lannister.

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

Re: the all-seeing, omnipresent Bran:

I've never read this theory.  Can you point it out?

It pops up in various places, particular on Westeros, but I'd almost have to google it to find any links. It's moderately interesting, but almost seems to kill the point of the characters, situations, and their interactions. Besides, "St. Elsewhere" already did that one.  ;-)

Archived