Why did Ramsey Bolton take the women and children of winterfell?

Varysblackfyre321

40 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Couldnt a raven just be sent? I mean I don't think the men of the dreadfort would march with Ramsey without Roose's explicit say so.

Yes he could have and likely did send ravens. Roose knew that the women and others were taken to the Dreadfort by Ramsey. Coming home he could have done the same thing but Roose probably didn't think twice about it. He chastises Ramsay for his sport anyway and the treatment of them was clearly subpar. People will find out what happened at WF eventually, doesn't really matter if it comes from the smallfolk Ramsay captured.

19 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Yes he could have and likely did send ravens. Roose knew that the women and others were taken to the Dreadfort by Ramsey. Coming home he could have done the same thing but Roose probably didn't think twice about it. He chastises Ramsay for his sport anyway and the treatment of them was clearly subpar. People will find out what happened at WF eventually, doesn't really matter if it comes from the smallfolk Ramsay captured.

True. But Roose wants to keep on that as long as possible(at least until the war for the north is won).

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don't think so... he is cunning, a sort of low cunning as Tywin would say, but he is not intelligent imo.

I respectfully disagree. He could be short-tempered, rash, and he is the embodiment of evil-but he is intelligent. Not in the way Tyrion might be in regards to books(I wonder if he was even taught to read), but streets smart. 

5 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

If you check the appendix to AFFC under House Stark, it lists a few women who are “women of Winterfell held captive at the Dreadfort”. But who knows what has changed in the time between. 

Beth Cassell

Kyra

Turnip

Palla

Bandy

Shyra

Palla

Old Nan

My read of that book was one too many years ago. Forgot he took the women to the Dreadfort. I thought he ferried smallfolk there for various purposes, among them Nan.But he took women for torture and enterteainment. Among them Nan. Now I'm crushed again. Damn you, George.

2 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

If he wrote those letters that were sent from Barrowton, then yes, he can read.

I always wondered if Ramsay isn't older than Domeric. Roose says the mother was always whispering in Ramsay's ear about his rights, she and Reek both. 

Local Maestor could do that; remember Roose thought his bastard should be content to shoveling corn and a piss poor bog farme; he wouldn't send Ramsey a Maestor to teach him him letters; why would a peasant need to read or write? And, honestly it's unlikely even now that he's legitimized he'd bring himself down so much to ask/demand a Maestor teach him his ABCs. Domeric I believe is the older; someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I mean, the most optimistic interpretation is that Ramsay simply saw the need/luxury of more serving-men and women to fill out his kennels, bars, etc. at the Dreadfort.  I choose to see it this way because the alternative is pretty gross to think about.  I'm kind of just hoping they're never mentioned again so I can go on in my delusion of them living out a quiet, happy life at the Dreadfort not too dissimilar from their lives at Winterfell.

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Local Maestor could do that; remember Roose thought his bastard should be content to shoveling corn and a piss poor bog farme; he wouldn't send Ramsey a Maestor to teach him him letters; why would a peasant need to read or write? And, honestly it's unlikely even now that he's legitimized he'd bring himself down so much to ask/demand a Maestor teach him his ABCs. Domeric I believe is the older; someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Theon confirms Ramsey can read, it's one of the hints Reek is not all he seems.

Ramsey might be older but it makes no difference as a bastard he would still come behind all true born children.

His mother demanded more for a son of the Dreadfort and received it, how far her ambition went who can say but she managed to teach him to read at any rate

8 hours ago, Tagganaro said:

I mean, the most optimistic interpretation is that Ramsay simply saw the need/luxury of more serving-men and women to fill out his kennels, bars, etc. at the Dreadfort.  I choose to see it this way because the alternative is pretty gross to think about.  I'm kind of just hoping they're never mentioned again so I can go on in my delusion of them living out a quiet, happy life at the Dreadfort not too dissimilar from their lives at Winterfell.

At the end of the series they’re all going to return and dance around Bran’s bed like at the end of Lord of the Rings.

My personal opinion is that Nan, at least, is going to reappear at some point, as she has some useful information regarding the Starks, Bran’s heritage, Bloodraven and possibly a link between the main series and the Dunk and Egg stories.

4 hours ago, elder brother jonothor dar said:

Theon confirms Ramsey can read, it's one of the hints Reek is not all he seems.

Ramsey might be older but it makes no difference as a bastard he would still come behind all true born children.

His mother demanded more for a son of the Dreadfort and received it, how far her ambition went who can say but she managed to teach him to read at any rate

Where does Theon confirm he can read?

17 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

In one of these threads I brought up why Ramsey wanted the Frey kids unharmed after he and his men killed Rodrick & the northmen. The Walder kids were witnesses to what transpired at WF. Ramsey torched WF at the end of CoK (book 2). Theon didn’t show up again until DwD (book 5) and when Theon showed up it was as Reek.

Martin can be graphic. All a person has to do is read DwD chapter 12 or Reek I. Sooooooo, considering Ramsey’s extracurricular actives of sport hunting females I would speculate that the hostages Ramsey took from WF either died eating rats in a dungeon or they ran for their lives and were eaten by dogs.

BUT, I like saying BUT (cos it reminds me of Good Mythical Morning chatter) what say the Walder kid that died and pushed Roose to send out Frey & Manderly troops was trying to blackmail, put the screws to Ramsey?

There is posibility that Ramsay had found about his father's marriage and decided to spare Walders in order to not complicate Roose's alliance with Walder.

18 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

Because he is sadistic, that's why.

But for me:

I almost can't deal with that. I almost can't deal with the thought of what Rodrik's little girl may be going through...

Yikes. I think I must have repressed those Reek chapters.

7 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Beth and Nan? Sad thing is, it'll probably happen. Martin made a point of putting the household in the appendix as Dreadfort captives.

There's also Palla who was raped when Theon took Winterfell and Joseth's little girls. I hope Palla's knowlege of hounds will ensure she survives them.

If Beth dies, the Cassel line will be completely gone, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 11:08 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Because I'm rereading Clash currently, Theon does confirm that Ramsay can both read and write.

Unlikely as it seemed, Reek could read and write, and he was possessed with enough base cunning to have hidden an account of what they'd done. (Theon V, Clash 56)

12 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

Because I'm rereading Clash currently, Theon does confirm that Ramsay can both read and write.

Unlikely as it seemed, Reek could read and write, and he was possessed with enough base cunning to have hidden an account of what they'd done. (Theon V, Clash 56)

Ok wow. I stand corrected. 

Archived