NFL 2018 Superb Owl Edition: Is There A Way To Tell If Gronk Is Concussed?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

For the first time in my memory u have legit excitement about the draft. In 2012 we knew it was luck. But I kind of am waiting for Brady to twist the Iggles knife so that an hour after the game national focus shifts.

I mean, I wonder if anyone will even bother to make an 'analysis' of the best dynasty in football history. THEY wrote those articles 2 times in 3 years already

Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Brian Dawkins, Randy Moss, and TO have apparently been voted into the Hall of Fame. I'm glad people didn't do some ceremonial first-year rejection of Moss because he dogged it on the field. I'm a little surprised about TO but I think it's deserved.

Let me say this about TO though. I defended him when a lot of people didn't. I loved him as a 49er, loved the pose on the star, loved the Sharpie incident. And I've read about what a shitty childhood he had. But goddamn, he really is a dick!

I watch MTV's "The Challenge" reality competition show. It's basically its own ecosystem of D-list celebrities recycling through multiple seasons of feuds, hookups, and betrayals, with assorted ridiculous athletic competitions thrown in. They've started a new format where the MTV people compete against real world celebrities and athletes. There was a season with Shawne Merriman and Kamerion Wimbley. TO was on the last season and didn't even make it to three episodes before he flamed out. He started a snotty fight with CT, an MTV regular, a dad-bodded goon from Boston who has negative fucks to give (CT actually retorted at one point, "Hey, I'm not the guy who blew $70 million"). They had some gross yelling fight where TO basically emoted the same kind of emotional maturity as our President, and then he left the show. Where they were competing to win money for charity. He's a baby.

ETA: He also said recently, I believe, that he didn't want to go into the Hall as a Niner. So this will be interesting to watch.

15 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

He also said recently, I believe, that he didn't want to go into the Hall as a Niner. So this will be interesting to watch.

Oh he said that alright and it was so idiotic I almost got a headache reading it.

What team is he gonna represent. The Niners were the only team he was on for a long time.

3 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Oh he said that alright and it was so idiotic I almost got a headache reading it.

What team is he gonna represent. The Niners were the only team he was on for a long time.

Will he be an Eagle, the team he pulled the driveway workout stunt on, or the Cowboys, and their star?

On the other hand, he wins points for this.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Let me say this about TO though. I defended him when a lot of people didn't. I loved him as a 49er, loved the pose on the star, loved the Sharpie incident. And I've read about what a shitty childhood he had. But goddamn, he really is a dick!

I watch MTV's "The Challenge" reality competition show. It's basically its own ecosystem of D-list celebrities recycling through multiple seasons of feuds, hookups, and betrayals, with assorted ridiculous athletic competitions thrown in. They've started a new format where the MTV people compete against real world celebrities and athletes. There was a season with Shawne Merriman and Kamerion Wimbley. TO was on the last season and didn't even make it to three episodes before he flamed out. He started a snotty fight with CT, an MTV regular, a dad-bodded goon from Boston who has negative fucks to give (CT actually retorted at one point, "Hey, I'm not the guy who blew $70 million"). They had some gross yelling fight where TO basically emoted the same kind of emotional maturity as our President, and then he left the show. Where they were competing to win money for charity. He's a baby.

Haha, me and a few of my friends still watch these too. The challenge before this sports one was one of the best I've seen! But anyways, I thought the whole thing was a missed opportunity by CT as the big argument started because TO made the crying gesture with his hands to one of CT's teammates. He should've brought up when TO famously cried like a baby to the media, but he chose to go much lower. Either way TO was acting like a spoiled child the whole time.

So before I begin with my predictions etc., I am THRILLED that Randy Moss made it to the Hall in his first year.  An absolute monster, Moss is probably the second best WR in NFL history, trailing only Rice,  Moss was the most dominant offensive player since Sanders, even if Moss had a tendency to take off plays... drives.... games... seasons... 

Regardless, he was the best WR to play for the Pats and has even turned into a fun analyst (secretly hoping he gets the Monday Night gig).  

Also, ho-hum, Brady gets the MVP.  While he obviously deserves it this season, he kinda-sorta-maybe-possibly seems to have won it by default.  Wentz and Brown both had injuries that stopped their monster stats and Todd Gurley is a running back so they don't matter.  With that said, as BFC said above, Brady seems like he should have 3 MVP trophies so no problems there.

So, with all that said, we are on the eve of yet another Pats Superbowl appearance and yet another season of me riding a roller coaster of emotions along with lingering questions: Will the Pats D hold?  Can Brady avoid the vaunted Eagles pass rush?  Will Gronk stay healthy?  Where will I stand during the parade?  Okay, that last one is me being a jerk, but ... you know, I have to prioritize, right?

According the FO, the Eagles are about as likely to win the SB as the Falcons were last season and they came frighteningly close.  The Eagles D gets weaker the further you get from the Line of Scrimmage, with the D-line being great, their LBs being okay, and their DBs being a true cause for concern.  And that's a major issue if you are playing a Pats team that loves to go inside and underneath and then break things up down the seam with Gronk or the sidelines with Cooks.  Also, unlike previous years, the Pats have a legit running game with Lewis, White and Burkhead being legit problems out of the backfield both to run and catch the ball.  

On offense, the Eagles seem like they can do much of the same: the Pats will have their hands FULL with Agalohr and Jeffery running everywhere; Foles will want to start going inside (like Brady will) and the Pats LBs are suspect.  And apparently the Eagles (apparently overrated - according to FO) O-Line does one thing great- run straight up the middle and the Pats have had legit problems there.  

Which brings us to Foles.  

If you believe Nick Foles NFC Title game is the real Nick Foles and the man who will QB the Eagles tomorrow, then the Eagles will win.  And if you don't then they won't.  Its that simple.  Jeffery and Agalohr may be great WRs but if they guy they are getting the ball from can't find them?  Or under/over-throws them?  Or panics?  It won't matter. As a real Pats fan, I see the latter, but every time I glance at the Vikings I am reminded of the former.   

Which brings us to Peterson.  

If this game comes down to coaching- if it boils down to the last 5 minutes of the game; if Belichick is able to confuse, disrupt or overwhelm Foles then you have to believe the Pats will win.  Peterson was there in Phily in 04 when the Eagles took forever in the 4th to put up 7, just as McNabb was taking up lunch.  If that same style of coaching and communicating and lack of urgency shows up tomorrow, the song will remain the same.  I am confused on Peterson - getting a team to play A-caliber ball without Wentz and against two REALLY STRONG NFC Teams- Atlanta and Minn - makes me think there is something there.  Then I read that practice was a disaster the other day and the players seem just happy to be there ... and then I think about 2004... I wonder if there is any there there at all....

And that to me is where this game comes down.

As a hollering Pats homer, I have picked the Pats in ever Superbowl save 2001 (who could beat the Rams?) and 2011 (Pats had no right being there), and I see no reason to change this now.  I see three scenarios. In one- the least likely- a determined and focused Eagles team behind their vaunted D-line put Brady to the test, getting him to throw yet another SB INT, sacking him 4 times, giving him the "yips" in the pocket, and holding the Pats to under 20 points, their playoff kryptonite.  Foles does only what he is asked to do and the Eagles win the game when the pats fail to convert a 4th down with 8 seconds left on the clock.  Phily wins by 6.  

In the second scenario- more likely but still not very likely - the Patriots rattle Foles badly and while the game looked sort of close in the first half, Foles cannot get the O off the ground in the second.  The Pats take a commanding 3rd quarter lead of 2 scores and then pull away in the 4th Q as Foles comes apart throwing back-to-back INTs.  Its the first Pats SB to finish with the Pats winning by double-digits.  

But its the Pats, its the Superbowl, and the Eagles are legit.  A back-and-forth game comes down to the last 5 minutes with Brady finally stabilizing against an inspired Eagles D.  Brady finds the end zone after a 70 yard drive to go up by 7.  Foles takes the field with a little over two minutes, but Foles and Peterson cannot recapture the Vikings magic.  The game ends on an overwhelmed Foles throwing the ball into the turf at Gilmore's feet on 4th down to seal a 27-20 Pats win.  

If only it was as easy to do as it was to write... 

Personally I'm annoyed that it just went to Brady by default but it does help us to break down his career better.

After 07 Brady is the GOAT if Manning didn't have 5 I could complain about Todd Gurley getting shafted. 

12 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

It's a damn shame Carson Wentz went down due to injury. Getting the MVP in his second season would have been mighty impressive.

But was he really that valuable a player? The Eagles won two playoff games without him, the second in dominant fashion against a supposedly good defense.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Brian Dawkins, Randy Moss, and TO have apparently been voted into the Hall of Fame. I'm glad people didn't do some ceremonial first-year rejection of Moss because he dogged it on the field. I'm a little surprised about TO but I think it's deserved.

ETA: He also said recently, I believe, that he didn't want to go into the Hall as a Niner. So this will be interesting to watch.

I love the Challenge, watch every season.  TO acted like he was better the rest from the beginning.  I loved watching him play(even the antics with sharpie, dallas star, driveway sit ups etc...), but man he seems to be a huge dick(I would still take him on my Lions in his prime though).

This is a really good hall class.  Some of the players have baggage(hell, some body bag sized), but they were all beasts on the field. One of them, Moss, I would argue was the second best WR I have ever seen.  There were a few years that he was completely unstoppable.

As far as the game tomorrow?  I think the Patriots pull it out.  I'm sure it will be a tight game going into the 4th, hell Eagles could even be winning at that point, but I B&B will pull some magic and dominate the last 8 minutes of the game and the Eagles will be left wondering how that happened.  Final score will be something along the lines of 27-23 or so with Brady holding up the MVP Trophy and Gisele tweating he should retire now.

2 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Just heard something I've been waiting to hear for months. Ryan Shazier is walking again! 

Sincerely glad for Shazier and for Steelers fans. May he fully recover.

In other news: looks like Washington might franchise Cousins again, in order to trade him and extort a first-round pick:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22315705/washington-redskins-consider-placing-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins

Bold, or stupid? There are so many ways to blow it up, everybody knows they'll have to lose him eventually, and I don't think he's hurting for money so he can sit out and refuse the tag for a while, right?

15 hours ago, Altherion said:

But was he really that valuable a player? The Eagles won two playoff games without him, the second in dominant fashion against a supposedly good defense.

Yes, he was. Without him chances are the Eagles don't make the playoffs. Foles hadn't done anything special in quite some time.

Archived